Seattle vs. Atlanta matchups

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ew7g5yf said:
CodeWarrior":2ew7g5yf said:
We've seen countless fans like treefiddy. They never amount to much as their fledgling bravado wears thin remarkably quickly.

I'll just sum it up as I see it: your team is a soft, finesse, timing squad. We've had our way with far better offenses than yours.

Can we limit ourselves to attacking posts instead of posters, please? Treefidy is bringing good discussion material to the table, and I'd rather see this board reward substantial discussion rather than bully it out. Let's not get sensitive.

It has nothing to do with sensitivity, I've just seen this same schtick enough times. He's just here for a Falcons circle jerk. He's the Atlanta equivalent of lvnginhwktwn.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
ball4life34":qz4a4mnp said:
Sunday might be the first week where all 11 staters are healthy.

Minus Weatherspoon, who is already on IR, yeah?

treefidy

Reaction score
hawkpride":14zrdlk6 said:
treefidy,

I have an idea...how about a little wager on who wins. After reading all the posts (obviously I'm a Hawks fan), If Atlanta wins I will go on your fan forum of choice an spew the greatness of the Falcons, however if (when) the Hawks win you come to This forum and spew (bow to) the greatness that is the Seattle Seahawks.

What say you?................ :rumble:

No need to bet. I would already congratulate you guys here if you should win.

treefidy

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1vmioyy5 said:
I'm late to the party, is this dude trying to compare ATL vs Denver's offense with a backup QB to Russell Wilson's offense after two weeks to prepare for 50 year old Dwight Freeney?

Is this for real?

Seattle is ranked #28 in total offense and #21 in scoring offense.

Just for comparison purposes, you average 15.4 points less per game and 100 less yards per game than the Falcons.

I'd gladly compare your offense to Denver's with whoever they trot out at QB.

ball4life34

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1rt02bbi said:
ball4life34":1rt02bbi said:
Sunday might be the first week where all 11 staters are healthy.

Minus Weatherspoon, who is already on IR, yeah?
De'vondre Campbell (rookie 4th round pick) was starting over him but has been out since week 1 with an ankle injury.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
treefidy":1xxibcuj said:
CHawkTailGator":1xxibcuj said:
I'm late to the party, is this dude trying to compare ATL vs Denver's offense with a backup QB to Russell Wilson's offense after two weeks to prepare for 50 year old Dwight Freeney?

Is this for real?

Just for comparison purposes, you average 15.4 points less per game and 100 less yards per game than the Falcons.

Yes, it's for real. You can't really be saying that Denver's offense with a rookie QB that looked "lost and tentative" per Tim Hasselbeck, is the same as playing Russell Wilson at home with the crowd in Seattle. Stats be damned, that's a crazy argument. Denver literally had no quarterback and only lost by 7 points... Look, Seattle had a rough start to the season with poor O Line play, granted. You have to look at where the team is now though.

treefidy

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2npdnfhf said:
Yes, it's for real. You can't really be saying that Denver's offense with a rookie QB that looked "lost and tentative" per Tim Hasselbeck, is the same as playing Russell Wilson at home with the crowd in Seattle. Stats be damned, that's a crazy argument. Denver literally had no quarterback and only lost by 7 points... Look, Seattle had a rough start to the season with poor O Line play, granted. You have to look at where the team is now though.

Why can't I? You're averaging 15 ppg at home this year...

Lynch put up significantly better numbers than Seimian did in his first game at home. Wilson has been sub par this season, not sure why you are pimping your offense of all things.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
treefidy":328wnav6 said:
CHawkTailGator":328wnav6 said:

Is this for real?

Judging an offense by PPG and YPG is a poor metric of quality for a number of reasons, two of them being that it doesn't take either quality of opponent or early-season jitters into account. We've played three of the best defensive lines the NFL has to offer, possibly THE three best, and managed quite well for ourselves, especially after Week 2.

DVOA is a better metric which I like to use; it shows us #17 at offensive DVOA, which still leaves out early season jitters. Given that Russell Wilson did quite well for himself on two gimpy legs against the Jets DL, and will now be at home after two weeks to heal against a Falcons defense ranked mid-20s in either YPG or DVOA, that is one matchup I'm not worried about.

The question is, who will win the shootout? Because a shootout it will be. I'm not underestimating Ryan; he's been slowly improving, put up a lot of points against a good defense earlier this year, has a ton of weapons, and can handle the dink-and-dunk game (the default concession against any good defense) as long as he has to.

I'm giving the slight edge to the home team with better linebackers than Denver and a fourth-quarter comeback artist at the QB position.

treefidy

Reaction score
mikeak":27epecuk said:
Like they did against Denver who played a backup rookie qb ie you had the ball a lot

Quick. Name the last team to score 23 points (26 if we kick the 35 yard fg instead of go for it on 4th and 1 to kill clock) in Denver.

I'll give you a hint. It only happened three times in the last 2 seasons. One being us (only one this season)

mikeak

Reaction score
treefidy":1ia3m55e said:
mikeak":1ia3m55e said:
Like they did against Denver who played a backup rookie qb ie you had the ball a lot

Quick. Name the last team to score 23 points (26 if we kick the 35 yard fg instead of go for it on 4th and 1 to kill clock) in Denver.

I'll give you a hint. It only happened three times in the last 2 seasons. One being us (only one this season)

You got the ball on four turnovers, you sacked the qb 6 times. You were able to score 23 points because of an inept Denver offense.

That is part of the game and takes nothing away from your win. I just wouldn't take away to much for the future in regards to how unstoppable you are.

Despite causing four turnovers you had the ball less than the opponent and you were 2 out of 12 on 3rd downs...... your qb completed 53.5% of his passes. Am I supposed to read into those numbers and say you are unstoppable?

You will face a Seahawks defense that does not have a superstar like Von Miller but instead will cause pressure by three different guys. You will most definitely get yardage up the middle and dump-offs to your RB. Absolutely will move the chains like that and I expect you to be closer to 50% on third downs. I also expect a higher completion percentage by Ryan

I do also expect quite a few stalled drives and 2 INTs on deep balls and one more INT over the middle and in the end playing a fresh team will let Seattle win 30-22

Largent80

Reaction score
Falcons may score a total of 9 (with luck) in Seattle. Their problem is the Seahawks will score over 30. Falcons are giving up an average of 28, To very weak offenses...... :179417:

treefidy

Reaction score
mikeak":3kf61rdu said:
You got the ball on four turnovers, you sacked the qb 6 times. You were able to score 23 points because of an inept Denver offense.

That is part of the game and takes nothing away from your win. I just wouldn't take away to much for the future in regards to how unstoppable you are.

Despite causing four turnovers you had the ball less than the opponent and you were 2 out of 12 on 3rd downs...... your qb completed 53.5% of his passes. Am I supposed to read into those numbers and say you are unstoppable?

You will face a Seahawks defense that does not have a superstar like Von Miller but instead will cause pressure by three different guys. You will most definitely get yardage up the middle and dump-offs to your RB. Absolutely will move the chains like that and I expect you to be closer to 50% on third downs. I also expect a higher completion percentage by Ryan

I do also expect quite a few stalled drives and 2 INTs on deep balls and one more INT over the middle and in the end playing a fresh team will let Seattle win 30-22

We're averaging 35 points per game AFTER going into the house of the Defending Super Bowl Champions where they haven't lost to an NFC team since 2011. They are easily the most complete defense in the league. Easily... You can attack the numbers all you want, but we still put up 370 and 23 points. BOTH of those numbers are better than the Seattle Offenses average FOR THE YEAR...

Von Miller is not the only pressure guy on the Broncos. Not sure what you are trying to get at there, but Shane Ray (4), Von Miller (7.5) and Derek Wolf (4) all have more sacks than ANY SEAHAWK PASS RUSHER. If you want to talk three guys bringing pressure, I think we just saw the 3 best last week.

Ryan has thrown 2 interceptions all season. One off of a tip ball. He's not throwing 3 in Seattle. Denver easily has the best secondary in football. How many did he have versus them?

I feel like we're talking about the 2013-14 Seahawks in here. It's 2016 guys...

2_0_6

Reaction score
Man I must have been sleeping for the past few years. The way some of these guys are talking you would think that Atlanta has been one of the better teams over the past 3 or so years and have wrecked the NFC..

'13 4-12 NO PLAYOFFS
'14 6-10 NO PLAYOFFS
'15 8-8 NO PLAYOFFS

Cool story fellas, make sure you come back and post Sunday evening after a loss.. :irishdrinkers:

treefidy

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":o9rhggeo said:
Man I must have been sleeping for the past few years. The way some of these guys are talking you would think that Atlanta has been one of the better teams over the past 3 or so years and have wrecked the NFC..

'13 4-12 NO PLAYOFFS
'14 6-10 NO PLAYOFFS
'15 8-8 NO PLAYOFFS

Cool story fellas, make sure you come back and post Sunday evening after a loss.. :irishdrinkers:

Why are we talking about past seasons as though they matter to this game?

And didn't the Seahawks finish 7-9 in each of Carroll's first two seasons?

byau

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":8xx9vozt said:
CodeWarrior":8xx9vozt said:
We've seen countless fans like treefiddy. They never amount to much as their fledgling bravado wears thin remarkably quickly.

I'll just sum it up as I see it: your team is a soft, finesse, timing squad. We've had our way with far better offenses than yours.

Can we limit ourselves to attacking posts instead of posters, please? Treefidy is bringing good discussion material to the table, and I'd rather see this board reward substantial discussion rather than bully it out. Let's not get sensitive.

Agreed. Watched the condensed game and the Atlanta OL looks good. And they will be helped tremendously by Freeman who looked really good, and quick and nimble - lateral runner, not a power downhill runner at least in that game.

That is going to affect the Seattle DL play which includes both pass and run defense.

As far as tree saying the Seahawks pass rush is nowhere close to the Broncos, disagree there also. It's a different type of pass rush with a different type of defense.

Overall, I call it close, I think the Seahawks will win the battle with the key being stopping Freeman.

FOGHORN

Reaction score
Largent80":3jivizr4 said:
Falcons may score a total of 9 (with luck) in Seattle. Their problem is the Seahawks will score over 30. Falcons are giving up an average of 28, To very weak offenses...... :179417:

And the Seahawks have feasted and beat very weak teams. Rams, Dolphins, 49ers, Jets. Not really any offensive juggernauts there.

Keenum, Tannehill, Gabbert, Fitzpatrick

Falcons have played Winston,Newton, Brees,Carr, and Lynch. Bucs, Raiders, Saints, Panthers, and Broncos.

Far better teams than that the Seahawks have faced. The #1 defense numbers may be skewed some , but you guys earned them .

We shall see Sunday. I do not think this will be the cakewalk the Seahawk fans think it will be.

byau

Reaction score
treefidy":2bj79k8e said:
CHawkTailGator":2bj79k8e said:

Why can't I? You're averaging 15 ppg at home this year...

Lynch put up significantly better numbers than Seimian did in his first game at home. Wilson has been sub par this season, not sure why you are pimping your offense of all things.

Anyone watching the game can easily see Lynch's poor play affected the whole game on both sides of the field. The Falcons could take a lot more risks defensively because Lynch panicked too early, made poor decisions, and did not pass accurately. If his numbers were in fact big, it's not consistent with the eye test.

I'll agree with you treefidy on the Seattle DL and Falcons OL being a close match. I don't think the Seattle O and Atlanta D will be as close. And if the Seattle O can stay on the field longer that should also help the Seattle D.

HuskyHawk

Reaction score
Treefidy,

Every game makes me nervous, so I'm not going to declare victory for the Hawks. But I think you are making a huge mistake by basing most of your arguememts on your "dismantling" of the Broncos. Please tell me that you understand that the way an offense plays directly affects their defense. If an offense gives up 4 turnovers and 6 sacks, very few defenses can overcome that. I'm not saying the Falcons didn't deserve the win, but don't assume just because you beat the Broncos that you will beat the Hawks. This is a QB league, any arguement comparing a Lynch led offense to a Wilson led offense is uniformed or just trolling.