Seven round Seahawks mock draft

kearly

Reaction score
I understand the rationale, but I would be shocked if Seattle drafted Peters. Not because of the arm length, and not because Seattle only drafts DBs in the mid-to-late rounds. But because he choked a coach and was kicked off the team. Talented but way too unstable, Peters is basically the corner equivalent of Titus Young, IMO. How can a team who's mantra is "buy in" cope with someone so unstable mentally that he choked a coach?

And it's not just that, Peters has a long history of fighting and arguing with not one but two coaching staffs. He also got in a lot of fights with players and teammates and drew insanely stupid personal foul penalties. The guy is very talented, but also a legit nut-job. It just wouldn't work here. Especially not if Peters were brought in as an entitled high round pick. If you thought Percy was a bad character risk, Peters is worse. Far worse.

It's a shame though, because Peters is a damn good corner who has the talent to be a pro-bowler. I think he's an even better corner than Desmond Trufant was, and Seattle badly needs help at corner right now. If I'm wrong and Peters shapes up, he'd be a great pick for Seattle. But I think there is maybe a 10% chance of that happening.

If Peters weren't crazy, he'd be the first corner drafted. Maybe even a top 10 pick considering how weak the 1st round is this year. The fact that he's probably going to slip well into the 2nd round in such a weak draft tells you a lot about how scared teams are of his mental problems.

kearly

Reaction score
Regarding the rest of the mock, I think we will probably see Seattle go WR with their first pick, since it's a solid WR class initially but gets pretty weak after that initial group is gone. That's not to say that people aren't going to be fans of certain players later on, I get that, but JS views the drafts in terms of groups and "ledges". There's a really big ledge at WR somewhere around pick 30-45, and Seattle could certainly justify a big investment at WR after what happened last year.

Seattle's past history suggests that they love drafting DTs in rounds 3-6, and they subsidize that by going after bargain bin veteran DTs in late-stage free agency. I think a DT would have to be a huge steal for Seattle to take him in round 1 or 2. They just haven't prioritized that position early, instead targeting the mid rounds.

I get very depressed looking at the safety group in this draft, especially knowing that it is potentially an urgent need for Seattle. If Troy Polamalu ends up being cut, I expect Seattle to court him aggressively as a backup that can cover for their backup safety issue until the 2016 draft.

For the most part, I think your mock did a good job of forecasting the targets in the late rounds. Lots of OL, DL, and DB. If the Lynch situation is still a problem by then, it's likely that a RB will be added wherever the team feels they are getting value for a Lynch-type. JS's posturing with Lynch makes it pretty clear that he is prepared to draft Lynch's replacement if need be (though he would much rather just have Lynch back).

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":135kb5ay said:
he choked a coach and was kicked off the team.

This has been denied by past and present Washington coaches and Peters himself. It was a baseless rumor. I think Chris Petersen was pretty strong on that when asked recently.

Peters has been a tour de force this off-season. He's completely taken responsibility for his departure at Washington, admitting he was immature, didn't handle the coaching change well and had a tantrum when the team struggled in a couple of games. He's since apologized to Petersen and as a consequence he's been invited to workout at the Washington pro-day. The Sark regime have all vouched for him too.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I don't think its wrong to assume Seattle wont go DB because of how they have built the LOB but I think its possible the strength of the draft may force them in that direction. We definitely need cornerback bodies and if the best player on the board is Peters I think they might go that direction especially if they feel they can get a solid WR in the second. Peters seems like a perfect fit for our defense as well. I'm not saying they do go that direction only that it wouldn't shock me like it would in years past.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1wnrqu73 said:
kearly":1wnrqu73 said:
he choked a coach and was kicked off the team.

This has been denied by past and present Washington coaches and Peters himself. It was a baseless rumor. I think Chris Petersen was pretty strong on that when asked recently.

Peters has been a tour de force this off-season. He's completely taken responsibility for his departure at Washington, admitting he was immature, didn't handle the coaching change well and had a tantrum when the team struggled in a couple of games. He's since apologized to Petersen and as a consequence he's been invited to workout at the Washington pro-day. The Sark regime have all vouched for him too.

I'm reluctant to buy that. It's in Petersen's and Sark's best interests for their former players to be drafted high, and all coaches tell white lies. It's part of the job description.

Having watched all Peters' games, I can say without a doubt the guy had a screw loose. He was screaming at someone almost every game, or at least it felt like it. There's immature, and then there's mentally unstable.

But, if he can keep it together I could see him having a Cortland Finnegan type of career in the NFL. He's a good player and a total dirtbag. I just think that after all the Harvin, Tate, Baldwin and Lynch headaches, Seattle is going to be fatigued on drama prone players. I actually like Peters a lot as a prospect otherwise.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I like it, but I'd like it better if we take Ifo instead of the kid from Stanford. With he and Peters, the LOB would better than ever.

The thing with Peters, is he calls Marshawns his big brother. I'd think beast mode could keep him in line.

Latest posts