SF @ NO

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Oh, and they didn't get any gifts. If anything, San Fran should have won by more, in regulation. New Orleans flinched in the face of playing physical ball, which is why I took San Fran for this game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1l8u4ddc said:
Let's not get carried away about the Niners' D here. They gave up 423 yeards, that's hardly anything to shout about. The pieces of the game that I saw looked sloppy for both teams. The niners gutted it out and the W is all that matters. Congrats.

I will say this, though. Rob Ryan has been the most overrated DC in the league for about the past 10 years. He sucks. Saints aren't scaring anyone.

I don't think it can be overstated how good the defense is playing.

Yup...they gave up those yards on the road in NO...

...but they are down their 3 best players on defense (Aldon, Willis and Bowman) and won with pressure from a rookie (Aaron Lynch) and 17 tackles from another (Chris Borland). They even lost their NT during the game and replaced him with 2nd year player Quinton Dial.

What's impressive about this defense isn't dominance...its that they are keeping them in games without 3 all-pro linebackers and are succeeding with rookies and largely zero pass rush for most of the season.

By way of comparison...imagine the Seahawks defense minus Sherman, Kam, and Earl. Do you think they'd play this well?

Largent80

Reaction score
I think if the 9ers lost there wouldn't be the praise for their defense.

They can thank N.O.'s horrid DB play for that 51 yarder, that was game right there.

themunn

Reaction score
Marvin49":9vi1durf said:
By way of comparison...imagine the Seahawks defense minus Sherman, Kam, and Earl. Do you think they'd play this well?

Or imagine the Seahawks defense minus Kam, Wagner, Maxwell and Lane?

Yeah I can imagine it. Wagner is every bit as good as any LBer in the league (and for me more of a miss than Kam or Sherman would be), and while Maxwell and Lane aren't All-Pros by any stretch of the imagination, it meant we were down to our 4th and 5th string corners

SF49r

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3rwlgiyy said:
Let's not get carried away about the Niners' D here. They gave up 423 yeards, that's hardly anything to shout about. The pieces of the game that I saw looked sloppy for both teams. The niners gutted it out and the W is all that matters. Congrats.

I will say this, though. Rob Ryan has been the most overrated DC in the league for about the past 10 years. He sucks. Saints aren't scaring anyone.

The defense did give up a lot of yardage but they came through in the end with the strip fumble that got them the win. That's all that matters.

Marvin49

Reaction score
themunn":j84vn6g0 said:
Marvin49":j84vn6g0 said:

Or imagine the Seahawks defense minus Kam, Wagner, Maxwell and Lane?

Yeah I can imagine it. Wagner is every bit as good as any LBer in the league (and for me more of a miss than Kam or Sherman would be), and while Maxwell and Lane aren't All-Pros by any stretch of the imagination, it meant we were down to our 4th and 5th string corners

Seriously?

Maxwell and Lane? Really?

Talk about false equivalence.

I said Sherman, Kam, and Earl because that's 3/4 of the best quartet of DBs in the NFL leaving only the worst of them remaining.

Willis, Bowman, Aldon, and Brooks are the best quartet of LBs in the NFL. 3 of those guys didn't suit up yesterday and only the worst of them (Brooks) remained.

So...let be down 3 of your best players at your best position and go play New Orleans in the Superdome. Come on now.

Niners are ranked #2 in yards through 9 games this year missing their best players and any semblance of a consistent Pass Rush. They have the #5 ranked pass D despite a completely rebuilt secondary and no pass rush.

Come on. Give credit where it's due. They aren't dominant and give up too many points, but they have played EXTEREMELY well while short handed.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
I am curious. How was the 4 & 10 play from SF not a penalty on the offensive line? The Guard I believe was looking back at Kaep when the ball was hiked and wasn't set. We got called for Unger doing a head bob, but this play was ok? The whole line was standing up and down multiple times right before the hike. Seemed weird to me.

What am I missing?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Mike 4G":3043zvk8 said:
I am curious. How was the 4 & 10 play from SF not a penalty on the offensive line? The Guard I believe was looking back at Kaep when the ball was hiked and wasn't set. We got called for Unger doing a head bob, but this play was ok? The whole line was standing up and down multiple times right before the hike. Seemed weird to me.

What am I missing?

Not sure exactly how the rule works...but that was Boone and that's how the 49ers silent count works. He looks at Kap...gets the signal and taps the center to snap the ball.

Mike 4G

Reaction score
Marvin49":coykbjg9 said:
Mike 4G":coykbjg9 said:

What am I missing?

Not sure exactly how the rule works...but that was Boone and that's how the 49ers silent count works. He looks at Kap...gets the signal and taps the center to snap the ball.
Ok, I just don't ever remember seeing that in a game before.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":2am3lw6o said:
Weadoption":2am3lw6o said:
If you can't see the Niners D absolutely earning that victory then well you are beyond help.
I bet you think Wilson is a good passer too.

Better than Chokernick.

I still really love Wilson as a player, but so far this year don't really think you want to play that game.

UY03ODy

As for the 9ers, I was really surprised they won. Just a bizarre year for them, and when it's not one thing, it's another. After getting 15+ penalties a game for the first few weeks they got that cleaned up and have been giving up 6> sacks a game for the past few, and then that gets cleaned up (kind of) and they're having 8 drops in a game, half of which are on 3rd down.

Just a weird year for them. I think Cards are taking the division (I still don't think they're that good, but they've built up enough of a lead) and the Hawks are gunning for the WC. They're remaining schedule means that's not a sure thing though. Oddly, I could see BOTH the 9ers and Hawks missing the playoffs this year (and the WC teams being two of the Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Packers with the other two being division winners; I think all four of these teams are playing better than the Hawks and 9ers right now).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1irgl830 said:
rideaducati":1irgl830 said:
Weadoption":1irgl830 said:
If you can't see the Niners D absolutely earning that victory then well you are beyond help.

Better than Chokernick.

I still really love Wilson as a player, but so far this year don't really think you want to play that game.

UY03ODy

Is that ranked by QB rating? Can't tell by the stats what it's ordered on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":jhuz9uut said:
rideaducati":jhuz9uut said:
Weadoption":jhuz9uut said:

Better than Chokernick.

UY03ODy

As for the 9ers, I was really surprised they won. Just a bizarre year for them, and when it's not one thing, it's another. After getting 15+ penalties a game for the first few weeks they got that cleaned up and have been giving up 6> sacks a game for the past few, and then that gets cleaned up (kind of) and they're having 8 drops in a game, half of which are on 3rd down.

Just a weird year for them. I think Cards are taking the division (I still don't think they're that good, but they've built up enough of a lead) and the Hawks are gunning for the WC. They're remaining schedule means that's not a sure thing though. Oddly, I could see BOTH the 9ers and Hawks missing the playoffs this year (and the WC teams being two of the Eagles, Cowboys, Lions, Packers with the other two being division winners; I think all four of these teams are playing better than the Hawks and 9ers right now).

Well, I can say this....

....IF the Niners can overtake the Seahawks/Packers/Eagles and get into the playoffs as a WC I'd MUCH, MUCH rather go into Arizona than go into Seattle for a playoff win. So...if Niners can't win the division (which they most likely won't) I'd rather the Cards won it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ahmw9el said:
Popeyejones":1ahmw9el said:
rideaducati":1ahmw9el said:
Weadoption":1ahmw9el said:

Better than Chokernick.

UY03ODy

Is that ranked by QB rating? Can't tell by the stats what it's ordered on.

Yeah, looks like it got cut off, but yes.

So far Kap in relation to Wilson:

- .6 in completion percentage

+ 325 passing yards

+ .4 YPA

+ 2 TDs

+40 PYG

= INTs

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":ovesasoj said:
....IF the Niners can overtake the Seahawks/Packers/Eagles and get into the playoffs as a WC I'd MUCH, MUCH rather go into Arizona than go into Seattle for a playoff win. So...if Niners can't win the division (which they most likely won't) I'd rather the Cards won it.

Oh yeah, me too. TBH I think it's more likely that the Hawks and 9ers both miss the playoffs than the Cards don't win the division, though (their lead is that substantial, and their defense is good). I don't think the 9ers make the playoffs this year, TBH.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":62s3zu4m said:
Marvin49":62s3zu4m said:

Oh yeah, me too. TBH I think it's more likely that the Hawks and 9ers both miss the playoffs than the Cards don't win the division, though (they're lead is that substantial, and their defense is good). I don't think the 9ers make the playoffs this year, TBH.

I'm hoping, but that's very possible. All these interdivision games may just do the other divisions a favor as the NFC West eliminates itself from the playoffs.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Mike 4G":1og52jnw said:

What am I missing?

That was a penalty that was completely missed by the referee. Marvin is wrong on this one. That play never should have been allowed because the guard wasn't set when the ball was snapped. He was on his way back to getting set but was standing.

They also missed a lineman being downfield on the same play.