Shaquem Griffin

seabowl

Reaction score
Now that they have picked up some additional pass rush i would suspect Shaqueme's time is coming to an end with the Hawks. Agree/disagree?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
seabowl":s78yib2c said:
Now that they have picked up some additional pass rush i would suspect Shaqueme's time is coming to an end with the Hawks. Agree/disagree?
Disagree

Shaquem does not cost a lot

Plays special teams well

The fastest linebacker on the team

And if he is released/cut I’m sure it’ll negatively affect Shaquille’s relationship with the team

Guessing Shaquem is on the team for at least another 2-3 years

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It sure seemed to me that at the end of the 2019 season they were starting to get some fairly good production out of Quem.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It really feels like the opposite. It was not until week 10 that they realized how disruptive he could be as a pass rusher and like many things this coaching staff dose, they took something that worked one week and did not use it again until they were down 21-3 in a playoff game.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think he is in a competition with Bruce Irvin. I think Irvin is better but costs more.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I wouldn't write him off. His special teams value is still excellent, and he's a versatile pass rushing piece - exactly the type of player they like.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think they keep him in a Heath Farwell type way.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1yfmaepv said:
It sure seemed to me that at the end of the 2019 season they were starting to get some fairly good production out of Quem.
This.

His value is high on special teams and situational rushing. He can rotate on pass rush downs with Mayowa, Irvin, and the rest of the pass rushers. He was putting together some nice tape toward the end of last season. Big value for a player with 4.4 speed that can rush the QB and also play on special teams.

xray

Reaction score
Carroll won't split up the Griffin bros.

Reaction score
I like Shaquem, I think he's a very difficult player to go up against. He obviously has his limitations and I don't think he'll ever be a regular starter for any team, but when the opposing OLine is getting tired in the 3rd and 4th quarter, or on a long drive, to be able to bring in a guy who is so explosive and fast is great. Would any of us want a fast, fresh guy like Griffin coming into the game to go up against a tired Duane Brown late in the game? So he definitely has his uses, it's just about highlighting them and giving him opportunities to show how good he can be. I think he proved he can be a threat towards the end of the season last year, so hopefully he's improved and can be even more of a handful for offences.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He'll be a bubble player again, and that's a good problem to have. He's versatile enough that it makes him more valuable. His speed alone is a huge asset.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't think he's done. He's a fighter, and that's a lot of what Pete is always looking for. While he is sort of one armed, he has the speed to disrupt. He can pull a tackle outside and open lanes for other rushers, and he's quick enough to exploit a gap in pocket cohesion. He gets upfield on kicks as fast as anybody.

His presence on the field late in '19 was largely because of emergency and injury to others, but he acquitted himself well. Since he's on a rookie contract yet, he's cheap, too.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
For what his role is, he does a good job. His ceiling is limited, but he is effective, and as mentioned above, having his twin bro on the team is one of those intangibles that add value.. I say he stays.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Late round rookie deal means he's cheap. He is a core special teams player and if that's all he does, then he's still worth keeping around.
Plus his "always compete" mentality helps Pete with his messaging.

Griffin will stay around until the end of his rookie deal unless we are overloaded with Special Teamers. But we only drafted one LB this year so we are likely going to have a group of 6 LBs: wagner, KJ, Brooks, BBK, Barton, Griffin. I think that's pretty standard numbers for the team.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
pmedic920":1a7c1gro said:
His production vs cost is still good.

I think he stays until he costs more than he’s worth.

Yeah, hes not going anywhere.