Shead looks like garbage

scutterhawk

Reaction score
morgulon1":3v70ztze said:
I thought Lane had a shittier game than Shead.

An interception & run back like he had, and that's shitty play?
Pretty obvious that Lane's first game back was showing some rust, and that he was still not quite tuned up for prime time, but still not shitty by any measure.
Shead, though picked on all game, was still able to play a pretty respectable game.
Lot's of missed tackles by some of our best Defenders today, giving up too many 1st downs.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Secondary played just fine. We had no pass rush today and Ben had all day to find the open man. This may be the best o-line we face all year.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":6v87wo00 said:
You guys are terrible at analyzing football.

:salute:

Shead did fine and worked his ass off. Love his work ethic.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
There is no question in my mind that our entire Defense is not as good as they were last year. We just might be "limping into the playoffs" this year.

Polk738

Reaction score
12thbrah":2tqbkd4v said:
Secondary played just fine. We had no pass rush today and Ben had all day to find the open man. This may be the best o-line we face all year.

This, there was absolutely no pass rush whatsoever today, and I think that was partly because 1: they have a great offensive line, that rookie Villaneuva was just manhandling our guys today. and 2: our DTs just have not been getting it done this year-Bane just hasn't had a great year, other than Rubin getting the INT there wasn't much from them today.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Wenhawk":dd4lxxag said:
Shead had a heck of a game in my opinion.

I agree. He got beat a few times but he also had a fair jumber of pass defenses and good recovery when he was getting beat.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":39mxf9r8 said:
You're nuts. Shead balled his ass off. Did he get beat a few plays, yes. But his effort was great. I've seen similar effort from Williams this year once. Maybe.

This is the answer. A lot The analysis in this thread is totally shit. First of all ahead was in good position all night and broke up some would be completions. A huge upgrade over Williams. With Sherman doing a great job on Brown it was no wonder there were so many throws to Wheaton. Rothlisberger was dropping some dimes and when that happens there is no defense. I'll take ahead all day

mrt144

Reaction score
RiverDog":1alos6nw said:
Grahamhawker":1alos6nw said:
Yeah there's that.

Good throws, good catches against tight coverage were factors too.
He's an upgrade over what we'd be seeing out of Williams.

Not by a lot. The Steelers are obviously picking on him. He's the weak link.

There is never going to be a situation where there isn't weak link. What do you do to help the situation?

chris98251

Reaction score
Well when a offense throws 50 plus times a game your going to have guys catch the ball, it's limiting what they do and yards gained that you have to do. Big Ben hate him or not gets the ball out fast and see's things quickly, have to give them credit as well. Ben was putting the ball on the money even with good coverage.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkerD":1vt76i4j said:
Mistashoesta":1vt76i4j said:
You're nuts. Shead balled his ass off. Did he get beat a few plays, yes. But his effort was great. I've seen similar effort from Williams this year once. Maybe.

This is the answer. A lot The analysis in this thread is totally shit. First of all ahead was in good position all night and broke up some would be completions. A huge upgrade over Williams. With Sherman doing a great job on Brown it was no wonder there were so many throws to Wheaton. Rothlisberger was dropping some dimes and when that happens there is no defense. I'll take ahead all day

Despite being beat on a few routes he absolutely did his job in response which is hit that damn ball out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think Shead showed signs of Byron Maxwell before Max got more and more comfortable in that spot. Lets be real here, he was assigned one of the best young WR's in the game and he held his own very well. Unlike Cary Williams who is basically maxed out as a player, Shead has potential to grow.

Also we won't face an offense like this again until we see Arizona, so plenty of time for Shead to grow and learn more as a starting corner. Remember.. this guy has been our swiss army knife in the secondary. He's been a safety, nickel corner, special teams guy.. now that he's starting on the outside, it will take some time to get comfortable.

I think as Shead grows into this role and Lane gets his rust off (he played terrible today but it was his first game in over 9 months) .. this secondary can finally not be such a mess.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":164gdfg6 said:
There is no question in my mind that our entire Defense is not as good as they were last year. We just might be "limping into the playoffs" this year.

I don't think there's any question that our defense has slipped, and I'm not sure what to attribute it to as about the only thing that has changed, other than Maxwell at corner and Kam's holdout, is our DC.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Optimus25":3nm55hmg said:
Was it me or did Pittsburgh throw fifty times?

I can't even remember a straight hand off just of the top of my head.

60 times total, I believe.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Polk738":1oclyyjr said:
...........our DTs just have not been getting it done this year-Bane just hasn't had a great year, other than Rubin getting the INT there wasn't much from them today.
Agree completely.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/671384696035680257[/tweet]

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sometimes I have to wonder what games you guys are watching.

I thought Shead looked really good starting opposite of Sherm. In a game where our opponents put up video game numbers, I think Shead still looked more impressive than any single performance Williams has turned in for the Hawks. There was a couple plays where he needed to get his head turned around (literally every play with Williams, sad the Eagles fans knew what they were talking about) and a couple others where he loses his man, but overall I thought he did a really good job against a great passing offense.

Shead will retain the starting position until he's injured or has a terrible game. Williams is probably going to be the highest paid back up CB in the league after yesterday.

byau

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2ruiqp5s said:
Sometimes I have to wonder what games you guys are watching.

I thought Shead looked really good starting opposite of Sherm. In a game where our opponents put up video game numbers, I think Shead still looked more impressive than any single performance Williams has turned in for the Hawks. There was a couple plays where he needed to get his head turned around (literally every play with Williams, sad the Eagles fans knew what they were talking about) and a couple others where he loses his man, but overall I thought he did a really good job against a great passing offense.

Shead will retain the starting position until he's injured or has a terrible game. Williams is probably going to be the highest paid back up CB in the league after yesterday.

Also consider that Pittsburgh can be HUGE in its passing game. All three of their receivers are awesome, shifty. And Big Ben has a huge arm. And they were seriously ballin'. Sherman deserves a lot of credit for doing his job, and I think Shead had a good, not great game. Definitely better than Cary Wililams.