Shead looks like garbage

marko358

Reaction score
That tweet must be a typo. Too many folks on this board absolving Cary Williams over the course of the year, saying we were all overreacting. :229031_shrug:

RussB

Reaction score
Shead was good. Got beat but he also made plays, hes solid and will get better. Even when he gets beat he is always around the reciever defending, williams was always getting burned.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I agree with those who have said if he learns from Sherman on how to track the ball and turn his head around, he could could be the best CB we've had play opposite of Sherman. The kid has speed, and even though (imo) he looks odd at times, he still for the most part stayed with the WR and was within tackling radius. Williams usually isn't.

TLDR: Shead has A LOT of potential. Williams doesn't

canfan

Reaction score
??? Maybe I watched the wrong game. I saw tight coverage and he broke up a couple of passes whereas Cary Williams would not have even been in the screenshot. Wheaton was burning them over the middle. Isn't that the responsibility of the nickel back and the safety? I thought Shead spent most of his time on Bryant, who had an "Ok" game, but wasn't exactly a factor. Am I mistaken? Somebody who watches film can likely steer me right here.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I thought Shead played fine. We didn't get much pressure on big Ben so he had tons of time. Not sure how you expect to keep chase so long.

Seymour

Reaction score
What I find the most disturbing is the fact that our coaches thought that Williams was better and signed him to a 3 year deal. Now 11 games in, with game after game of getting burned and being out of position they realize the error? Why did this not show up in practice or even pre season? Is this more of a sign of our coaching errors then the players themselves? Looks like it to me. Williams is what we thought he was, a Eagle reject that doesn't learn from his mistakes.

marko358

Reaction score
Seymour":2k143teb said:
What I find the most disturbing is the fact that our coaches thought that Williams was better and signed him to a 3 year deal. Now 11 games in, with game after game of getting burned and being out of position they realize the error? Why did this not show up in practice or even pre season? Is this more of a sign of our coaching errors then the players themselves? Looks like it to me. Williams is what we thought he was, a Eagle reject that doesn't learn from his mistakes.

^^^Yes, this.

Decimation

Reaction score
Hope Shead succeeds as #2 CB. Good friend of mine who is a sports agent has him as a player. He's a humble young man.

Jville

Reaction score
Yes the Cary Williams saga was book ended by better play from his predecessor as well as his sucessor. That indulgence is a bit of a mystery to me. Although, I think there is a perceivable 2015 theme of overestimating how far and how rapidly they could coach up the newbies. Surely they will review the resulting short falls against their 2015 ambitions and goals. Hopefully we will see evidence of adjustments from this point on.

Returning to the subject, I love Shead's versatility. He can play on the outside at corner as well as both safety roles. He also gives them the ability to include a big nickle sub-package in their arsenal. DeShawn will be a restricted free agent going into the 2016 off season. So ..... his play from the Pittsburgh game forward is huge for him. For me, Shead has validated the value of player continuity and internal development as a team's most desirable option.

marko358

Reaction score
Jville":2l44artd said:
I think there is a perceivable 2015 theme of overestimating how far and how rapidly they could coach up the newbies.

Bingo. They better have a different draft strategy going forward. These long term projects are shooting this team in the foot, especially on the o-line.

Rocket

Reaction score
Hawks46":1bdsueca said:
Whoever is covering Wheaton looks like garbage.

Anyone else looks All Pro compared to that. Wheaton has been bad this year, and we gave him a career day.
Might Brown's shutdown-ness have effected this in any way?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I thought Shead played a great game and showed a lot of effort that has been missing from Williams. Earl on the other hand... will he ever learn to form tackle? Missle-from-hell approach doesn't always get the runner to the ground. He also seems to be out of position a lot compared to his usual center-field deep approach.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Shead was attacked viciously. Given how much they targeted him, he played pretty well. I definitely think Williams wouldn't have had that good of a game.

Also, is it "sheed" or "shed"?

The Outfield

Reaction score
Crizilla":25rvq3m6 said:
Shead was attacked viciously. Given how much they targeted him, he played pretty well. I definitely think Williams wouldn't have had that good of a game.

Also, is it "sheed" or "shed"?

I shudder at the thought of Williams out there yesterday. It's "shed" by the way.

chris98251

Reaction score
He can play a bit of Browner with much better coverage skills and versatility, when he gets more reps and experience in one position he could turn into at least an average CB.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I think we should cut Cary Williams now to give him a chance to catch on with another team...

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Shead's a 4.53 40 guy. He had a better 40 time than Sherm.

He's not too slow, that's not an issue.