Shead looks like garbage

gabel

Reaction score
morgulon1":32bw9gdu said:
I thought Lane had a shittier game than Shead.

Lane was more than a little rusty he was horrible. You knew that his legs are along way from being the same on his run back when he got tackled by the turf. I think Shead has a speed issue but is still an upgrade over Carry Williams and I thought he held up well. Is Carry Williams better than Lane sadly yes. Not sure if our linebackers covered that well yesterday either.

More than 400 yards passing is an embarrassment. Something has to change.

marko358

Reaction score
gabel":3c7q1zm9 said:
More than 400 yards passing is an embarrassment. Something has to change.

Teddy Bridgewater should cure that for next week. Sure he's a decent up-and-coming QB but he's no elite passer.

jblaze

Reaction score
You guys are crazy. He played very well.

He had 4 passes defensed yesterday while Cary Williams has had 4 all year.

He gave up a few but they are the best WR crew in the game. His effort and "heavy hands" were apparent and the effort over Cary is evident.

They challenged him and he came through. This is his first start at CB, give the guy a break. All he has to do is be serviceable.

He'll get better with more experience and is the starter going in for this weekend. All you need to know is how Pete talked him up after the game and he's immediately named the starter for this week on Monday. He earned it.

Seymour

Reaction score
SeaChase":1j6l84m1 said:
Doing better than Carry Williams.

Exactly! I thought he did pretty well....considering everything.

mrt144

Reaction score
jblaze":14nni0pk said:
You guys are crazy. He played very well.

He had 4 passes defensed yesterday while Cary Williams has had 4 all year.

He gave up a few but they are the best WR crew in the game. His effort and "heavy hands" were apparent and the effort over Cary is evident.

They challenged him and he came through. This is his first start at CB, give the guy a break. All he has to do is be serviceable.

He'll get better with more experience and is the starter going in for this weekend. All you need to know is how Pete talked him up after the game and he's immediately named the starter for this week on Monday. He earned it.

People and their lofty standards and expectations. Well said dude!

jblaze

Reaction score
A few weeks ago Earl talked about how the LOB wasn't "forgiving fully". Some think that may elude to Kam's holdout but I actually think it's referring to Cary and how he has played this year. If you've got to cover someone else's mistakes, you're not going to do your own job correctly and I see the guys out of position at times shading over to Cary's side to prevent huge plays. I think they don't trust Cary and he hasn't acclimated into the LOB at all.

Thus next man up and Shead is all we got with Simon hurt and Lane now just coming back. Lane is more a nickel anyways but we're super thin at CB right now. Shead plays his heart out and a lot of football is effort and want to and I think he has that.

Now you can see that the LOB might start to gel a little more now that Shead is the starter going forward and the LOB can take him in and start schooling him a bit on the finer parts of their defensive schemes and tendencies.

I only see the LOB getting better from here and that's really nice to see. Solidify the RCB, coach him up and get solid play and let everyone else focus on their job.

We won't see another WR corp like that again this year. Hell even Arizona will probably sit some of their guys to get ready for the playoffs in week 17 so we will have an easier go there. Minnesota, Baltimore, Cleveland, St Louis do not have good receivers so Shead will have time to learn on some lesser opponents and get better before they really start to count and we have to look at Carolina, Green Bay or Arizona potentially.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I thought Shead played pretty well considering how excellent this passing attack was. He needs to work on looking for the ball, but he was SO much better than Cary Williams has been at any point this year in my opinion.

byau

Reaction score
jblaze":2qphitxf said:
A few weeks ago Earl talked about how the LOB wasn't "forgiving fully". Some think that may elude to Kam's holdout but I actually think it's referring to Cary and how he has played this year. If you've got to cover someone else's mistakes, you're not going to do your own job correctly and I see the guys out of position at times shading over to Cary's side to prevent huge plays. I think they don't trust Cary and he hasn't acclimated into the LOB at all.

Thus next man up and Shead is all we got with Simon hurt and Lane now just coming back. Lane is more a nickel anyways but we're super thin at CB right now. Shead plays his heart out and a lot of football is effort and want to and I think he has that.

Now you can see that the LOB might start to gel a little more now that Shead is the starter going forward and the LOB can take him in and start schooling him a bit on the finer parts of their defensive schemes and tendencies.

Wow.. interesting take, makes sense.

Vetamur

Reaction score
If you have the ability to through game rewind or DVRing the game.. and as an example look at the play that ends with 17 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. That is why Shead is the guy I want out there, if my other option is Williams. That play , a long go route to Bryant is a TD if its Williams. Williams would have been in slightly better position perhaps, or maybe not even close..but would have never have reacted to the ball.

Shead was over matched yesterday but he fought through it and turned in a respectable performance in my opinion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I thought Shead actually played pretty well overall.

Yeah he got beat deep, but he also had some nice defenses, against some VERY good WR's............and where the hell was Earl on that deep ball to Wheaton? Kam was trailing? wtf.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Pete actually praised Shead. Im not sure what the OP was thinking tbh.

Atradees

Reaction score
Big Ben was a beast. She ad did an awesome job. This was a great game. Super fun to watch Arial battle. Nice.

RiverDog

Reaction score
morgulon1":u6fb6t8g said:
I thought Lane had a shittier game than Shead.

Boy, Lane sure whiffed big time on an important 3rd down tackle. I about came out of my skin.

But as others have noted, we can forgive Lane as it was his first game back. These other guys have been playing for 4 months, plus the Steelers have one of the best passing offenses in the game. That would be a tough situation for anyone.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":277wabkk said:
Pete actually praised Shead. Im not sure what the OP was thinking tbh.

Sports Hernia = Cary Williams

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Shead was a factor in a positive way. Let's see how he does against the Vikes. He did a great job breaking up a couple completions which would of been big plays for the Steelers. He'll only get better with more game time.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He likely made this post after Shead allowed the 40-yard catch to Bryant.

Overall, Shead played a surprisingly solid game: three breakups and just five receptions allowed to Bryant for 69 yards.

Tical21

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Shead. On the one hand, I love the way he battled. Let me preface by saying I really like the kid. It must have been his rookie year, I was working nights, and was able to go to 7-8 camp practices. He was literally out on the field at least 30 minutes before everybody and stayed out on the field with his position coach for at least 30 minutes after everybody else went in, every single day. I can't help but like a kid like that, but man, I just don't know if he has NFL talent. Maybe playing corner for a team that runs a bunch of cover-2.

He broke up a couple deep shots on pure desperation. For those intangibles, A+ all the way. However, I think on a couple of those that were broken up, they get completed more times than not. He was flat out beat a good five times on the go route. A couple balls were underthrown, and he wrestled the ball out a few times. The bottom line though, is that I just don't think he's fast enough to play corner in our system. In our base cover-3, our corners have to have deep responsibility, and faster receivers are going to run right past him almost at will, even if he plays with good leverage. That is going to come back and bite us at some point. Better than Cary Williams? Sure. Is he the answer? I don't see it. I'm rooting for the kid though.

Jville

Reaction score
Looking at the time stamp, the OP was made in the heat of the moment.

I thought the following tweet, if accurate, was interesting.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/671216929474871296[/tweet]

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a fan of the highly versatile and competitive DeShawn Shead.