Sherman isn't a team player?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
That is what I heard a lot from Seahawks fans when he went to the 49ers, but he seems to be getting very excited for even the third string guys, jumping up and down and throwing high fives at people. Was he really a selfish, me-first guy in Seattle? Cause he definitely doesn't seem that way now.

Maybe finally getting married changed him? :17:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Never heard that. Sherm was always a huge cheerleader on the sidelines in pre season even when the scrubs were in.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sherm was all about team and his issues at times was that he was upset because guys were about themselves, Percy Harvin a good example and the Cary Williams.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":214sigbg said:
Not sure where you're getting that. Sounds more like your own bias before he arrived in Santa Clara.
So much this. I remember when Sherm was public enemy number one when he was wearing a hawks uniform...

Now that he’s wearing their colors they all of the sudden love him.

How many though will admit they were wrong about him when he was playing in Seattle?

Marvin and Katz are the only ones I’ve seen admit this.

sutz

Reaction score
Sherm occasionally had some words about the coaching and front office, but was always there for his fellow players that I can recall. He had an ego, but it wasn't such that he'd deny support for his teammates. He was definitely passionate, which often gets misunderstood.

Never heard him called a non team player.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, Sherman was always cheering his teammates, coaching youngers guys up in practice.

Hes anti authority, but at a peer level hes great.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sherman was a team player, a very good team player.

Then for some reason he decided to turn his mouth inward towards his own coaches, Seattle media and teammates, instead of lashing outwards towards the national media and other team's players.

THAT'S when everything changed and Sherman's days were numbered here. So yeah, he'll be a great teammate on the Niners.........until he gets frustrated with losing and the coaches not coaching how he thinks they should coach. Then you'll see what we saw, a malcontent disruption.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mbsorij said:

Then for some reason he decided to turn his mouth inward towards his own coaches, Seattle media and teammates, instead of lashing outwards towards the national media and other team's players.

THAT'S when everything changed and Sherman's days were numbered here. So yeah, he'll be a great teammate on the Niners.........until he gets frustrated with losing and the coaches not coaching how he thinks they should coach. Then you'll see what we saw, a malcontent disruption.

Maybe he's just grown up. You must admit he was a bit of a punk in his early days in Seattle. I still remember his holier than though speech to his teammates when they were busted for PEDs. His piss tested positive too, just got off on technicality.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I found that Sherman was a consummate team player with regard to his teammates. I thought the only issue he had was when he felt certain players were held to a different standard due to their position, which isn’t an anti-team stance by most measurements.

I think the biggest issue with Sherman was he was such a competitor he felt the potential greatness of that team was wasted. I think he had aspirations and expectations of that team winning multiple titles, and he struggled with the need to blame someone when it didn’t. He naturally turned to the coaching staff to vent his frustrations and cast blame. It wasn’t the best way to go about it, but being the fierce competitor that he is, it was the only way he knew how to process it. Untapped potential and “what should have been” are tough to reconcile for a lot of people.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
As far as we know, the only player who Sherman actively despised, and who he was not a good teammate to, was Russell Wilson. We also know that he let his frustration with SB 49 fester to the point that he became a cancer -- to the point where he was yelling at coaches on the sideline. While it's not at teammates, it affects teammates.

That said, I wouldn't expect such frustration to carry over to SF. Sherman clearly needed a change of scenery to cope, and while I wish him zero success, it's only because he's on another team and nothing personal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Washington49er":5qtmwkqu said:
Sgt. Largent":5qtmwkqu said:

Maybe he's just grown up. You must admit he was a bit of a punk in his early days in Seattle. I still remember his holier than though speech to his teammates when they were busted for PEDs. His piss tested positive too, just got off on technicality.

Maybe..........and yes I do think he was humbled a little when we cut him and he found out how he handled things here might not have been the best way to go about his discontent with Pete and the team's direction.

I still love Sherm, he was a big reason we won a SB and helped put us on the map nationally with his brashness. But I also think he was a jackass and was a disruption to the team his last two years here.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":zy5llrk4 said:
That is what I heard a lot from Seahawks fans when he went to the 49ers, but he seems to be getting very excited for even the third string guys, jumping up and down and throwing high fives at people. Was he really a selfish, me-first guy in Seattle? Cause he definitely doesn't seem that way now.

Maybe finally getting married changed him? :17:

Where the hell did you hear that? Except for perhaps his final season here, Sherman always put the team first. Always. I don't think many Seahawks fans would disagree with me.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any 49ers fans who ever criticized Sherman for being a bad teammate.

9ers fans vitriol for Sherman was that he was a showboat, a loudmouth, and a punk. He didn't win "with class" and all that stuff.

Some Seahawks fans definitely impugned him for being disloyal, only caring about himself, and being a bad teammate towards the end of his time in Seattle, though. After the Seahawks cut him and he signed with the 9ers and was critical of some of the things that went down in his time in Seattle, some Seahawks fans were particularly vitriolic about this stuff.

FWIW, as a 9ers fan, if you go back through my post history here I don't think you'd be able to find me ever being critical of Sherman. If anything over the years I made a point to talk about how much I liked him and his game, because both of those things were true.

I remember getting a lot of heat for saying I thought he was a perfect fit between ability and scheme but that I wasn't sure if he was a scheme-independent top player at his position in the way someone like JJ Watt was, but I *still* think that's true (although not top anymore), and still think that doesn't take anything away from him.

As for Sherman and the 9ers, I also remember comparing him to a professional wrestler, and thinking it was annoying that people didn't get that he was putting on act and persona to elevate himself and his national profile. I also *still* think that's true of that time, and still only ever meant it as a compliment to him and how clever he is. :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
So what I recall from him leaving SEA and joining SF was that there were ALOT of Seahawks fans who were of the "good riddance" attitude toward him and said that he'd start blaming all his teammates when he made mistakes and that he was no longer a team guy. I am not attributing those comments to anyone in this thread, but I think that's what the OP was referring to.

I can also admit that I hated Sherman. In a BIG way. Hated his loudmouth stance, hated his attitude, etc, etc. I was not a fan and on more than one occasion called him Dick Sherman.

All that kinda changed tho long before he left Seattle. Why?

1) The Niners sucked which kinda killed the rivalry. I didn't pay so much attention to what he said. I know some Seattle fans were keen on the win streak, but to be honest I didn't even realize it was happening because the Niners were losing to EVERYONE. LOL. Still wasn't a guy I liked, but I cared about the rivalry much less than I did before.

2) I kinda stepped away a bit from posting on ANY NFL board (and I actually post much more here these days than on the Webzone) because I was much more concerned with politics. It that light, my views of the world were much more aligned with Richards which made it much harder to cast him as a villain in a black hat.

I will never get used to seeing him in a Niner uniform, but so far he has been a HUGE positive on the team even at 70% of his previous capacity. We'll see how much closer he is this year to 100%.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19mrkepr said:

...and I think that right there is what the OP was referring to. Obviously, you guys have a much longer view of him as a player and teammate, so I'll defer to you guys on this one, but so far he's been great off the field in SF.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Sherm is still my favorite Seahawk. I didn't like how it ended here, and I respect my fellow Seahawks fans opinion that he became a "locker room cancer"... I wish Seattle could have kept him though. Seems like the team could really use that attitude that he brought.

Chapow

Reaction score
TriCHawk":10og0xfj said:
Sherm is still my favorite Seahawk. I didn't like how it ended here, and I respect my fellow Seahawks fans opinion that he became a "locker room cancer"... I wish Seattle could have kept him though. Seems like the team could really use that attitude that he brought.

I feel the same about both Sherm and Earl.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":29w4apjq said:
Maulbert":29w4apjq said:
Not sure where you're getting that. Sounds more like your own bias before he arrived in Santa Clara.
So much this. I remember when Sherm was public enemy number one when he was wearing a hawks uniform...

Now that he’s wearing their colors they all of the sudden love him.

How many though will admit they were wrong about him when he was playing in Seattle?

Marvin and Katz are the only ones I’ve seen admit this.

You'll have to include me as well.

I resisted the Niners signing him but have grown to see a more balanced perspective on him. I like him now and I'm surprised I would like him.

At the same time all the non-Seahawk, non-49er fans who hate him, I won't try to convince them otherwise except to say you have to have him on your team to understand.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":icay30yi said:
So what I recall from him leaving SEA and joining SF was that there were ALOT of Seahawks fans who were of the "good riddance" attitude toward him and said that he'd start blaming all his teammates when he made mistakes and that he was no longer a team guy. I am not attributing those comments to anyone in this thread, but I think that's what the OP was referring to.

I can also admit that I hated Sherman. In a BIG way. Hated his loudmouth stance, hated his attitude, etc, etc. I was not a fan and on more than one occasion called him Dick Sherman.

All that kinda changed tho long before he left Seattle. Why?

1) The Niners sucked which kinda killed the rivalry. I didn't pay so much attention to what he said. I know some Seattle fans were keen on the win streak, but to be honest I didn't even realize it was happening because the Niners were losing to EVERYONE. LOL. Still wasn't a guy I liked, but I cared about the rivalry much less than I did before.

2) I kinda stepped away a bit from posting on ANY NFL board (and I actually post much more here these days than on the Webzone) because I was much more concerned with politics. It that light, my views of the world were much more aligned with Richards which made it much harder to cast him as a villain in a black hat.

I will never get used to seeing him in a Niner uniform, but so far he has been a HUGE positive on the team even at 70% of his previous capacity. We'll see how much closer he is this year to 100%.

I think an overlooked part of the whole Sherman being a prodigal son in Seattle is the fact that he hated Wilson and to an extent maybe Carroll too.

As long as his relationship with Jimmy and Kyle are ok, I don't see it happening in SF.