Sidney Rice signs 1-year deal

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Sidney is a talent no doubt about that but he has a hard time staying healthy. In his 3 years here he has missed almost one complete season with injuries.

year games missed (does not include playoff games)
2011 7
2012 0
2013 8

Love his game but wished we had more of it.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I don't like the precedent this sets for our guys.

Steal Lindsay Lohans coat, and still get a new contract?

Slippery slope, Pete. Slippery slope

DynoHawk

Reaction score
Good! Now get your ass down to Cali with the rest of the offense.

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
Mick063":3n5npubu said:
The team has enough at WR to take a flyer for a few rounds in this WR deep draft. There will be good ones later on.

Remember that Kearse and Baldwin were undrafted.

It is the offensive line I want to see addressed. I would like to see Wilson play from the pocket more and he can't do that with the current front. Not in this division...Quinn, etc.
Further, they couldn't get Lynch going in the Super Bowl. The offensive line is a liability, disguised by the talents of a Houdini quarterback and a beast running back.

YES!!! The O-line is where it all begins.

The Seahawk WR corps is fairly intimidating (for appetizers) - Harvin, Rice, Baldwin, Kearse, (insert mid-round draft pick), and then to throw in Zach Miller, Luke Wilson, & Anthony McCoy - WOW!!

I have a feeling, based on the effort and talent shown in the SB that the Seahawks WR/TE crew will get a bit more respect this year than in years passed.

A bitchin' O-line needs to be this draft's priority.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3qc0uhms said:
I like it! But what do you guys think about saving his legs a bit and not putting him in until we get in the red zone?

I actually kinda like this idea and would expect them to consider this in the rotation. THat is....if he makes the team. :mrgreen:

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I like the signing for anything less than 2 million. If it's more than that, I think it's not worth taking up cap space that's going to be used on Sherman, Thomas, or Wilson in a year or two.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
candybars":7xcp5o1i said:
nwgamer":7xcp5o1i said:
Chicago '12 .....

This man is a Seahawk.

This. I am not posting to start an argument, but a lot of Hawks fans unfairly looked at his contract and then his numbers and hated on the dude. He put his body on the line and future too. I was in the Chicago airport when he caught that pass and initially lost it cuz we won then I thought 'oh shit, he just got killed.' He will always be one of my favorite Seahawks for that play.
If you are referring to the catch in OT when he got blasted, he caught that and it was a winning touchdown.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1ej6dboq said:
Hasselbeck":1ej6dboq said:
Spiderdan":1ej6dboq said:
And Minnesota banking on Adrian Peterson to be completely healthy and his old self was a risky proposition in 2012.

That was Peterson's first major injury, he doesn't have anywhere near the injury history that Sidney Rice has.

Again, I hope he's healthy.. my main concern is if this changes what we planned on doing in the draft.

This FO has taken a WR in every draft except the 2012 draft, and never later than the 4th round. This draft is said to be deep in WR.

What do you expect them to do? Especially since Rice's deal is a one-year deal? Just sit on their hands and ignore the position?

Thinking about it more, maybe the FO wasn't big on the taller WR's (Benjamin, Coleman) that would be available in between 32-64 and figured Sidney Rice was the best option for that role. Maybe they value the 6' - 6'2 guys more.. (Lee, Robinson, Moncrief, Landry, etc etc)

At least I hope that's the case :D

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TwilightError":anylfht1 said:
Great news! I will never forget the TD catch against Pats and now I will get to see more of the same.

That TD catch basically allowed a lot of us to start believing in RW.

Rocket

Reaction score
How can anyone suggest that they know more about Rice's physical situation than the coaches and staff... correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there like DOCTORS on the coaching staff?

Who here has reviewed Sid's medical records and examined him??? Who here is an orthopedic surgeon?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
( too much? )

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":2944d7em said:
I like the signing for anything less than 2 million. If it's more than that, I think it's not worth taking up cap space that's going to be used on Sherman, Thomas, or Wilson in a year or two.

All that's been reported so far that I've seen is that it's for "more than the league minimum."

So if Rice is in year 7-9, that means the league minimum for him would be $825,000............so my guess is the contract is probably in the million dollar range with maybe a team option for year two if he does well?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":18q4asyp said:
volsunghawk":18q4asyp said:
Hasselbeck":18q4asyp said:
Spiderdan":18q4asyp said:
And Minnesota banking on Adrian Peterson to be completely healthy and his old self was a risky proposition in 2012.

That was Peterson's first major injury, he doesn't have anywhere near the injury history that Sidney Rice has.

Again, I hope he's healthy.. my main concern is if this changes what we planned on doing in the draft.

This FO has taken a WR in every draft except the 2012 draft, and never later than the 4th round. This draft is said to be deep in WR.

What do you expect them to do? Especially since Rice's deal is a one-year deal? Just sit on their hands and ignore the position?

Thinking about it more, maybe the FO wasn't big on the taller WR's (Benjamin, Coleman) that would be available in between 32-64 and figured Sidney Rice was the best option for that role. Maybe they value the 6' - 6'2 guys more.. (Lee, Robinson, Moncrief, Landry, etc etc)

At least I hope that's the case :D

Maybe so. I just don't in any way see the Rice signing as the FO thinking they have the position solved. If it had been for multiple years, then maybe that would be a concern, but this is the classic "prove it" deal. I'd be very surprised if the competition mantra didn't apply at the WR position as well.

Honestly, though, it would surprise me if we spent a 1st on a WR. A 2nd I could see. But I don't think this team is going to spend big draft capital on the passing game. They'll go for adding numbers at the position and see what shakes out rather than going for a big name in the draft.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":cv9t647o said:
Honestly, though, it would surprise me if we spent a 1st on a WR. A 2nd I could see. But I don't think this team is going to spend big draft capital on the passing game. They'll go for adding numbers at the position and see what shakes out rather than going for a big name in the draft.

Probably true enough.

And with RW slinging the ball, even pedestrian UDFA and late-round receivers look good.

:stirthepot:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Kixkahn":28jmiqfs said:
candybars":28jmiqfs said:
I was in the Chicago airport when he caught that pass and initially lost it cuz we won then I thought 'oh shit, he just got killed.' He will always be one of my favorite Seahawks for that play.
If you are referring to the catch in OT when he got blasted, he caught that and it was a winning touchdown.
Read his post again. What you said is exactly what he said.

wrenches59864

Reaction score
Great news! I'll never forget seeing him catch the TD against the Pats, was an awesome day! :th2thumbs:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I bet we draft a big flanker to compete against Rice and keep everbody honest and have depth.

Latest posts