Simpleton thread: top 10 (fav) Seahawks

hoxrox

Reaction score
It's called a fall from grace. The kid who flew too close to the sun, with wings made of wax. The organization who made him, and whom he undermined and betrayed in attempts to further his own brand and legacy.

That's pretty non-Seahawky to me. Stats don't paint the whole picture, especially when it comes to "favorite" Seahawks of all time.

If he's on your top 10, that's fine but there are legit reasons why he's not on other people's lists.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Rick Mirer
Kelly Jennings
Malik McDowell
Aaron Curry
Charlie Whitehurst
Percy Harvin
Dan McGuire
Blair Walsh
Koren Robinson
Lamar King

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
It's called a fall from grace. The kid who flew too close to the sun, with wings made of wax. The organization who made him, and whom he undermined and betrayed in attempts to further his own brand and legacy.

That's pretty non-Seahawky to me. Stats don't paint the whole picture, especially when it comes to "favorite" Seahawks of all time.

If he's on your top 10, that's fine but there are legit reasons why he's not on other people's lists.
I don’t believe Seattle GETS TO the SB without him. Only reason he isn’t one is because marshawn lynch, and his present circumstances ie the bed he’s made for himself. Whatever, at least the bed has a sexy lady in it?

Kinger95

Reaction score
serious question, was earl better than kam? Looking back I think kam was underrated and him being gone exposed a lot of issues.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If we're doing favorite top 10.

Kam
Lofa
Marshawn
Rice
Tez
Earl
Matty Ice
Blades
Walter
SS

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Ah. Best ten and favorite ten are different things.

Best
First, the guys in the HoF:

• Largent
  • Easley
  • Walter Jones
  • Hutchinson (spent more time with the Vikings than the Seahawks, but was top-of-the-league good as a Seahawk)
  • Tez
Now the guys who either should be in the HoF or clearly will be
  • Jacob Green (should!)
  • Wagner
  • Sherman
Now the next tier - guys who had or will have borderline HoF cases, but either definitely didn't make it or probably won't make it
  • Dave Brown
  • Marshawn Lynch
FWIW, because everyone is arguing about Wilson, I'll say that I'd put Wilson in that last category, but below those other two guys. He was never a top-two QB over a whole season, was top-five once or twice, top-ten a few more times. His early-career numbers looked great, but then a load of QBs came along immediately after who have blown by him, plus we've now seen how important Carroll was to Wilson's apparent success. Because of how important QBs are in today's NFL, any top QB should be among the top contenders for MVP over a few full seasons. Wilson has never maintained that level over a whole season, which is reflected in him having the same total number of MVP votes over his career as I have, and I've never played organized football, not even flag football when I was a kid. I only ever played in neighborhood pickup games. If a miracle happens for Wilson and he has another season as a top-five QB, he moves up above one of these guys. I consider that about as likely as me finding a winning lottery ticket on the ground. On the other hand, if he continues to play at this year's not-as-awful-as-last-year-but-nothing-special level for as long as he can stick around in the league, he probably even falls out of this category, because his good performance starts to look more and more like it was more due to Pete Carroll building a team around him than from Wilson himself. In terms of on-the-field performance, he's still the best Seahawks QB, but he's not as far ahead of Krieg as the raw numbers might suggest, because of the enormous difference between the eras in which they played.

Favorites
  • Zorn (I still see 10 as "his number")
  • Largent
  • Jacob Green (I still see 79 as "his number", but I sure didn't mind his son-in-law using it)
  • Curt Warner (I still see 28 as "his number")
  • Easley
  • Walter Jones
  • Tez
  • Wagner
  • Lynch
  • Sherman
ADB and Lockett are just off this list, and I'm already thinking about whom Lockett is going to replace if I move him up.
Other honorable mentions include Efren Herrera, Dave Krieg, Jon Ryan, Kam Chancellor, and Michael Dickson. Any one of those guys could easily end up in my top ten favorites if I made the list on another day.
There was a time when Earl Thomas was my favorite NFL player. Not only was he the crucial piece that made those spectacular defenses work (he covered so much ground that he took huge areas of the field away from opposing QBs, and he allowed Chancellor to play as a safety-linebacker hybrid and simultaneously allowed the LoB cornerbacks to play the way they did, because they always had ETIII there to back them up if anything went wrong), but I also just really enjoyed watching him play. I completely love the play from about 2016 or so when he hit Gronkowski, then popped right back up and strutted away while the big guy stayed down on the ground looking for the pieces of his soul that had been knocked loose. ETIII also just misses my list, and with time he also could move up into my all-time top ten favorites. Or maybe not.

KinesProf

Reaction score
^^
Well thought out response.

I'd be more than comfortable elevating Wagner already - he's a shoe-in first ballot Hall of Famer; and when you consider the number of 1st team all-pros, the MVP vote, the all-decade team, the Super Bowl ring, 2 x NFC Champion, he's going to finish as the most accomplished of any Seahawk ever.

James in PA

Reaction score
Any list without Brian Habib is just a waste of space.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Yezdapdkfhzakmll8zjzJoe Nash has never received enough credit for his 15 years as a Seahawk.

Attachments

• ryfhl8zc7kqfpwyxem0a.jpg
    ryfhl8zc7kqfpwyxem0a.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
What do Lockett and DK need to do to make the list?

DK needs to grow up a little (he is) and the offense would need to change to throwing more, which it would do if he perfected his craft as he seems to be doing (mimmicking Lockett's dead-eyes and body language for TD)

Lockett is really tough, it would be an absolute no brainer if he kept up the hester-esque pace of kick return dominance, remember his rookie year? lol

I love Lockett, maybe the list needs to be top 12

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
My underrated 'Hawk I think will almost always be Bobby Engram

keasley45

Reaction score
Ah. Best ten and favorite ten are different things.

Best
First, the guys in the HoF:

• Largent
  • Easley
  • Walter Jones
  • Hutchinson (spent more time with the Vikings than the Seahawks, but was top-of-the-league good as a Seahawk)
  • Tez
Now the guys who either should be in the HoF or clearly will be
  • Jacob Green (should!)
  • Wagner
  • Sherman
Now the next tier - guys who had or will have borderline HoF cases, but either definitely didn't make it or probably won't make it
  • Dave Brown
  • Marshawn Lynch
FWIW, because everyone is arguing about Wilson, I'll say that I'd put Wilson in that last category, but below those other two guys. He was never a top-two QB over a whole season, was top-five once or twice, top-ten a few more times. His early-career numbers looked great, but then a load of QBs came along immediately after who have blown by him, plus we've now seen how important Carroll was to Wilson's apparent success. Because of how important QBs are in today's NFL, any top QB should be among the top contenders for MVP over a few full seasons. Wilson has never maintained that level over a whole season, which is reflected in him having the same total number of MVP votes over his career as I have, and I've never played organized football, not even flag football when I was a kid. I only ever played in neighborhood pickup games. If a miracle happens for Wilson and he has another season as a top-five QB, he moves up above one of these guys. I consider that about as likely as me finding a winning lottery ticket on the ground. On the other hand, if he continues to play at this year's not-as-awful-as-last-year-but-nothing-special level for as long as he can stick around in the league, he probably even falls out of this category, because his good performance starts to look more and more like it was more due to Pete Carroll building a team around him than from Wilson himself. In terms of on-the-field performance, he's still the best Seahawks QB, but he's not as far ahead of Krieg as the raw numbers might suggest, because of the enormous difference between the eras in which they played.

Favorites
  • Zorn (I still see 10 as "his number")
  • Largent
  • Jacob Green (I still see 79 as "his number", but I sure didn't mind his son-in-law using it)
  • Curt Warner (I still see 28 as "his number")
  • Easley
  • Walter Jones
  • Tez
  • Wagner
  • Lynch
  • Sherman
ADB and Lockett are just off this list, and I'm already thinking about whom Lockett is going to replace if I move him up.
Other honorable mentions include Efren Herrera, Dave Krieg, Jon Ryan, Kam Chancellor, and Michael Dickson. Any one of those guys could easily end up in my top ten favorites if I made the list on another day.
There was a time when Earl Thomas was my favorite NFL player. Not only was he the crucial piece that made those spectacular defenses work (he covered so much ground that he took huge areas of the field away from opposing QBs, and he allowed Chancellor to play as a safety-linebacker hybrid and simultaneously allowed the LoB cornerbacks to play the way they did, because they always had ETIII there to back them up if anything went wrong), but I also just really enjoyed watching him play. I completely love the play from about 2016 or so when he hit Gronkowski, then popped right back up and strutted away while the big guy stayed down on the ground looking for the pieces of his soul that had been knocked loose. ETIII also just misses my list, and with time he also could move up into my all-time top ten favorites. Or maybe not.

This all day. I'd copy and paste your lists as my response.

Rat

Reaction score
Seahawks Career Sack Leaders:

1. Jacob Green - 115.5
2. Michael Sinclair- 73.5
3. Jeff Bryant - 63
4. Cortez Kennedy - 58
5. Chad Brown - 48
6. Joe Nash - 47.5
7. Michael Bennett - 39
8. Chris Clemons - 38
9. Rufus Porter - 37.5
10. Frank Clark - 35

I didn't start rooting for the team until the mid-90s. I feel like I really missed out not getting to watch Green. The difference between he and our second-leading sacker is more than the difference between #2 and #11 (Cliff Avril - 34.5).