Skins/Vikings to interview Bevell

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
OrFan":1tj4jwsp said:
Let's see, under Bevell we had the 26th ranked passing offense in the NFL with Wilson at qb. Something a bit wrong there?

I like our defense, please leave Quinn alone.

Bevell, I believe he can be easily replaced with someone who can better use what we have.
There you go with those dang facts again! :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2g988jjg said:
I would like Bevell to 'skeedaddle.' He's overrated because of Favre and Russell Wilson. Ever notice that, as Russell becomes more knowledgeable of what Bevell wants, and tries to faithfully execute the plays as written, the more 'Vanilla' and 'predictable' we become? We were more highly ranked as an offense last year because Russell knew less of the playbook and created more of his own plays because of it. Bevell is more of a hindrance to RW at this point. The Hawks need to hire somebody that allows Russell to continue to grow, so that he reaches his full potential.
BINGO!

Subzero717

Reaction score
Two words scare the crap out of me when I think of Bevell leaving. Brad Childress. I had the same feeling in reverse for Tom Cable, and then it happened.

hawk45

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":kaa76dx2 said:
Agreed. The Bevell hate is childish, ridiculous, and unwarranted. And e will be missed if he does get a head coaching shot.

Slapping the word "hate" on criticisms directed towards an NFL player or coach is childish, ridiculous, and unwarranted.

But I do enjoy the irony of a poster projecting an emotional reaction onto an entire class of fans while in the middle of their own emotional reaction.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Bevell is getting credit for developing Russell Wilson. I'd be surprised if Bevell is responsible for even 15% of it.

Bevell just doesn't strike me as a HC.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
OrFan":2qe90515 said:
Let's see, under Bevell we had the 26th ranked passing offense in the NFL with Wilson at qb. Something a bit wrong there?

I'm pretty sure this is by design, and is in line with Carroll's desire to have a strong run game and prevent turnovers.

For further analysis, consider that while Seattle is 26th in passing yardage, they were 31st in attempts. That suggests that while they pass less than almost any other team in the league, they are above average in efficiency when they do so. I'd be willing to bet that part of the reason the passing game is so successful when it's used is because opponents are forced to focus so heavily on the run.

Add in the fact that Seattle is ranked 10th in passing TDs, 3rd in interceptions (which is definitely owed in part to the paucity in attempts), and 6th in net yards gained/attempt. That indicates that Seattle's passing offense is working well when it's used. The question is whether those rate stats would hold if the attempts were scaled up.

I think Bevell is earning consideration around the league not because he's some offensive guru, but because he represents a trend in offense (a throwback trend, but a trend nonetheless). Look at the teams with a heavy emphasis on the run. Us. San Francisco. Carolina. Philadelphia. All playoff teams. That's not to say that teams that are pass-heavy aren't successful (e.g., Denver, New Orleans). It's just that there are teams having quite a bit of success going against the "it's a passing league now" wisdom, and Bevell is considered to be part of that.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Be carful what you wish for. Any coach who leaves this staff for a HC gig is likely to take a lot of our depth with them.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3dd8pb9a said:
McGruff":3dd8pb9a said:
MontanaHawk05":3dd8pb9a said:
Sturm":3dd8pb9a said:
I don't get why they think Bevell is head coaching material.

Probably because his team just had 13-3 and 11-5 playoff seasons.

While developing one of the beat yang QB's in the league . . .

Seriously, for supposedly the best fans in the NFL, we are probably the worst at being hateful towards our own team.
Agreed. The Bevell hate is childish, ridiculous, and unwarranted. And e will be missed if he does get a head coaching shot.

Unwarranted?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":284pj3c8 said:
Bevell is getting credit for developing Russell Wilson. I'd be surprised if Bevell is responsible for even 15% of it.

I betcha Wilson would argue with you over that percentage.

Carroll himself says he's always been a defensive coach first, and relies heavily on his offensive coordinators and coaches. Which is why he went out and got guys like Bevell, Cable and very experienced veteran assistants like Kippy Brown and Carl Smith.

Here's the bottom line for all you Bevell bashers, teams don't ask permission to interview coordinators like Bevell unless he's highly regarded within the league as a very good coordinator and leader. It just doesn't happen.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35cxeaw5 said:
Here's the bottom line for all you Bevell bashers, teams don't ask permission to interview coordinators like Bevell unless he's highly regarded within the league as a very good coordinator and leader. It just doesn't happen.

I admit to not knowing much about the game of football. But teams make bad hires all the time. Everybody here was shaking in their boots when the Cards plucked Whisenhunt out of Pittsburgh.

Edit: I picked a terrible example, I know.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36tc41yd said:
onanygivensunday":36tc41yd said:

I betcha Wilson would argue with you over that percentage.

Carroll himself says he's always been a defensive coach first, and relies heavily on his offensive coordinators and coaches. Which is why he went out and got guys like Bevell, Cable and very experienced veteran assistants like Kippy Brown and Carl Smith.

*cough*
Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniel

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":4b74ajj5 said:
Let Bevell go to the Redskins... he can then can convince Snyder to trade for Percy Harvin for their 2015 first rounder.

They do have a lot of money coming off the books

We'd even throw in our Matt Flynn 5th rounder and Robert Turbin because Bevell loves giving him the rock and watching be ankle tackled.

We then can keep everybody!

WOW i haven't loled like that in a while...