So How did Fant do?

RCATES

Reaction score
Dungy on Fant:

Damian Jones ‏@DamianJ30283678 12h12 hours ago
@TonyDungy Coach what do you think of the play of offensive tackle George Fant? it's my Fiance God son she wants your truthful opinion..Lol

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy 11h11 hours ago Greenwich, CT
@DamianJ30283678 He has been phenomenal considering his background. In another year they'll be talking about him as one of the top OTs

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Fant is saving this FO's bacon right now in some ways. The Sowell experiment was a failure, which I felt was going to be the case before the season started. Fant has come in and played remarkably well considering his lack of football background. Right now Fant is your classic player with high potential. He is an athlete first and an LT second and this point. He needs to grow into the LT role, which will require some physical and mental adjustments. Physically he needs to bulk up his lower body so he can anchor more firmly and stand up to the bullrush. While Fant hasn't allowed the turnstyle variety sacks that Sowell did, he is often pushed back into Russell, negatively affecting the pocket.

For a UDFA Fant has earned an A grade. If he continues on his current trajectory he will be a total success and provide some much needed evidence that this team's approach to the tackle position might just work. I love to see it as I was singing a very different tune when Sowell was starting.

Hoping for a strong showing from Fant against Philly.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I really can't wait to see what he looks like after two training camps.

It's reminiscent of Terron Armstead in New Orleans. He was an athletic OT prospect who cooled it on the sideline and got some sporadic playtime his rookie year. Although he did play OT at Ark Pine Bluff -- he was a project that had similar upside.

Armstead struggled in year one but showed enough. Then really caught on and improved throughout year two. Now he's a fringe pro bowl player as one of the top OTs in the NFC not named Tyron Smith.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
He did well considering the Pats were rushing 3-4 guys most of the game. When he plays an elite pass rushing team then talk to me.

RussB

Reaction score
The guy hasnt even played football since high school and hes picking it up playing in the nfl fast. He can develop into a very good player hes very talented. The fact that he is playing at atleast an average level with his background is very impressive.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RussB":38jjsd5k said:
The fact that he is playing at atleast an average level with his background is very impressive.

I'll be that guy.

At some point Seattle will be in the midst of a championship drive. Qualfied success based on background is going to be less and less of a consolation.

I think I'm already at the point where I'm no longer satisfied with qualified success. I mean I love and appreciate the backstory as much as everyone. And I was absolutely thrilled the moment it was announced we signed him.

But I'm greedy now. I've seen enough to be intrigued. I've seen enough of his smooth footwork. Now I want more. I am watching for his next evolution. I think he's impressive where he started from. But I want to get from 'good considering...' to 'just plain good'. I'm eagerly anticipating when he ascends his zero experience background and starts to flash talent with his use of hands/arms. From there, I'll be anticipating flashes of consistency. And then entire games of consistency. Then I can greedily dream of 'just plain great'.

He's shown the lively footwork. Now to find balance and upper body technique.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2vcanq17 said:
But I'm greedy now. I've seen enough to be intrigued. I've seen enough of his smooth footwork. Now I want more. I am watching for his next evolution. I think he's impressive where he started from. But I want to get from 'good considering...' to 'just plain good'. I'm eagerly anticipating when he ascends his zero experience background and starts to flash talent with his use of hands/arms. From there, I'll be anticipating flashes of consistency. And then entire games of consistency. Then I can greedily dream of 'just plain great'.

Probably won't see this for another year or two, BUT what you've described is why Fant's upside is worth the inconsistency it's going to take until he's a very good LT. Which I have no doubt he will be, Fant's off the chart athletic and nasty.

Also why you're not going to see Sowell back in the lineup anytime soon unless someone gets hurt.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RCATES":ddfyunr0 said:
Dungy on Fant:

Damian Jones ‏@DamianJ30283678 12h12 hours ago
@TonyDungy Coach what do you think of the play of offensive tackle George Fant? it's my Fiance God son she wants your truthful opinion..Lol

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy 11h11 hours ago Greenwich, CT
@DamianJ30283678 He has been phenomenal considering his background. In another year they'll be talking about him as one of the top OTs

Huh interesting. :2thumbs:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":gfnbxsv6 said:
Seahawk Sailor":gfnbxsv6 said:
He did well. The entire offensive line did much better in this game. Maybe... maybe they're starting to turn the corner?

Seems like Cable has been changing it up a lot. In the last couple weeks, there were several instances where we ran man/power schemes.

This week I saw two old school Redskins Hogs style counter treys. But also seeing a lot more pulling of guards as well. I don't recall us running much in the way of stretch zone runs which have been our bread and butter run play.

I can't be certain, but it does look like Cable is more than toying with non ZBS staples now. Cable mentioned it recently how we're misfiring on correct reads both with the OL and the RB. Seems like we're switching it up to reduce the learning curve gap vis a vis the zone blocking scheme. With as green as our guys are at LT/LG and RG -- reducing the complexity seems a good move.[/quote]

I've been griping about this for weeks now. It was so frustrating to watch Ifedi or Glowinski blow right by the player in front of them and head for the 2nd level while said player blew up Russell or CMike. Why are they blocking 2nd level before they've even taken care of the 1st level guys?

I'm much happier now.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I think the better question is, how did Gilliam do? He's gotta have a pretty hot seat right now.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I've been intrigued with Fant since we signed him, but haven't been very impressed with him till now. I'm trying to find out if anyone has grades for him in this game. While I was looking for grades from yesterday's game I came across this:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/10/26/13 ... well-grade

which is an evaluation of how he did in the Cardinals game. It's a mixed bag, with some incredibly good plays followed by some pretty awful ones. However, seeing some of the positive things he did in the Cardinals game, along with feeling that he was pretty solid against the Patriots, I feel like we might be really good with him moving forward.

I'm thinking that the only glaring hole we need to address in the draft is at RT.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The radio crew mentioned that they've simplified things a bit for the o line and also aren't sticking solely to zone blocking scheme/technique right now.

RussB

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1gnsvr45 said:
RussB":1gnsvr45 said:
The fact that he is playing at atleast an average level with his background is very impressive.

I'll be that guy.

At some point Seattle will be in the midst of a championship drive. Qualfied success based on background is going to be less and less of a consolation.

I think I'm already at the point where I'm no longer satisfied with qualified success. I mean I love and appreciate the backstory as much as everyone. And I was absolutely thrilled the moment it was announced we signed him.

I think it will take a little more time and he will be a very solid LT,maybe a season or two. Hes already picking things up very quick.

Threedee

Reaction score
One of my favorite moments of the game was when Fant mauled the DE that came across off-sides. That was fun!