So what the heck has gotten into Penny

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3n2lzgxw said:
You nailed it. Health and AP’s influence. Maybe this is his “Nolan Ryan” moment when Randy Johnson had a talk with NR and RJ went from a decent pitcher to a great dominating pitcher. One can hope.

I like it!! Nice parallel. We can hope!

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":4k03y019 said:
Guys contract is up and he needs a paycheck next season. Thats whats gotten into him. Once somebody pays him, he'll sink back into obscurity.
I'll put my money here. Money can be quite a motivator.

themunn

Reaction score
lkjhpoiu":1fzaqcsm said:
My feeling is that it is opponents and O-Line.

If the O-Line can open an uncontested hole for him then he can blow through it (as compared to Lynch who would just open the hole himself if needed). Against the low-rated opponents, the line has been opening those holes and he's been feasting on it.

I think he'd be a great back with a good+ O-Line but that just isn't what he's had here.

Also, I don't think he gets as skinny in the hole as Collins and clearly doesn't try to open the hole like Carson. So it's really been just apparent against these opponents.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

People said the same about Shaun Alexander vs Marshawn Lynch - the difference is the same holes are there that Carson or Lynch or Rawls or whoever was hitting - but how quickly you get there matters - Penny is FAST, and is hitting the same holes that have always been there, but not with decisiveness and speed that he wasn't demonstrating before, and once he does he makes it to the 2nd level with time and space to make the next guy miss.

Someone like Lynch was a physical punishing back, he had quick feet to make a guy miss one on one but he never hit the hole as quickly, so defenders always had a chance to swarm and close up that gap so his only way to make yards was to punish his way through them.

It's ironic that Penny's way of running should result in less wear and tear on his body, but he's suffered the injuries anyway

Tusc2000

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1laxjx5y said:
Guys contract is up and he needs a paycheck next season. Thats whats gotten into him. Once somebody pays him, he'll sink back into obscurity.

Exactly. Once he gets the $$$ he'll continue to limp off the field very time he gets a boo-boo.

No surprise that he's shining at the tail end of a lost season. Guys like Penny, they only step it up when it doesn't matter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If we resign Penny, we also need to resign AP. He's the Penny whisperer.

Good for Penny, but I could never be confident in giving him anything more than a one year heavy incentive type of contract if he wants to come back.

kf3339

Reaction score
How did he do against the Rams a few weeks ago? 30 yards and a 3.5 average?

All three of his 100+ yard games were against bad teams. Let's see how he does against a motivated Arizona team before we start talking of a re-signing for next year.

Even then it needs to be a smaller, incentive oriented contract for a year. Nothing more than that imo.

seabowl

Reaction score
In his short stint of playing this year, Penny has amassed 3 of the top 25 rushing performances (by yards in a game) of any rb in the league. 3 in the top 25!!!

Elemas

Reaction score
I hope he hasn’t attracted the likes of teams that willingly throw huge dollars away (think Shaq and Jacksonville). Given his injury history, I doubt Pete and John would match.

Which, may be for the best anyways. I can see it backfiring though. Our luck, he signs with the Rams, runs for 1800+ while averaging 175+ against the Hawks.

I pray I don’t have to find this post and repost it next season…,

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
seabowl":36gi01dv said:
His agent told him to tough it out and play the last half of this season so he can get a good second contract next year.

I really can’t stand when this happens

Yeah, I really hate it when guys play well! :roll:

OP
OP
Z

zhawk

Reaction score
Some excellent points about the AP influence. I think that it’s a no brained to bring him on as mentor/coach.
IIRC that wouldn’t cost cap?

And we all have known more talented players on our teams that were sidelined with minor injuries While I was one of those that just clunked around no matter what Just because I wanted to play.

sutz

Reaction score
zhawk":1xitqjiw said:
Some excellent points about the AP influence. I think that it’s a no brained to bring him on as mentor/coach.
IIRC that wouldn’t cost cap?

And we all have known more talented players on our teams that were sidelined with minor injuries While I was one of those that just clunked around no matter what Just because I wanted to play.
No salary cap on coaching staff.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Penny's ran great, but remember who he's run against, three of the four worst run defenses in football with the Bears, Lions and Texans.

So gotten into? Idk, dude's finally healthy and gained a little confidence.......against some very bad rush defensive teams.

Let's see how it goes against Arizona before I start calling around for Penny jerseys demanding franchise tags.