So who ends up trading for Sherman

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2psd3org said:
.....If you want to trust that any pick from any draft can replace Sherman, that's an enormous gamble, especially given Thomas' uncertain return from injury.

I do not trust this staff to pick good offensive linemen or even running backs in the draft.
I do trust them to pick good DB's. We haven't used much in the way of draft resource to find DB's in quite sometime, if at all.
With 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, and this deep DB draft, I think we will be fine. Yes, there likely will be a decline losing Sherm, but I think overall it will be low impact.

I have no idea what your any ole player, any ole' round slant comes from. I think we use 1 of the first 2, and possibly 2 of the 1st 5 on DB.

Plus we will have an extra $12M to work with to boost other areas needing help from here forward.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28xue4tr said:
MontanaHawk05":28xue4tr said:
That's an awfully easy "no doubt". I think you're vastly underselling Sherman. Corners of his caliber come along once every five years or so, not every year and certainly not every round. Browner got burned a lot. Maxwell wasn't all that great once he got out from Thomas' shadow. Nobody else other than Kam has raised eyebrows in regards to empirical talent here.

If you want to trust that any pick from any draft can replace Sherman, that's an enormous gamble, especially given Thomas' uncertain return from injury.

My point is we now have a very long historical track record of our FO and Pete developing very good to great defensive backs within our defensive system.

So if there was one position I'm OK with letting a malcontent star go because he can no longer do what is asked of him, behave.........then DB is that position.

I've said many times now that I'd rather Sherman stay and shut up and play, but it's very apparent that he's not willing to do so. And I'm OK with that, because our FO has done an amazing job at finding DB talent. Hopefully DB's that don't act like spoiled brats.

That has not been as evident since Richard became DC and is not directly involved with coaching them, I think his impact was huge.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":5fk859dn said:
Sgt. Largent":5fk859dn said:
MontanaHawk05":5fk859dn said:
That's an awfully easy "no doubt". I think you're vastly underselling Sherman. Corners of his caliber come along once every five years or so, not every year and certainly not every round. Browner got burned a lot. Maxwell wasn't all that great once he got out from Thomas' shadow. Nobody else other than Kam has raised eyebrows in regards to empirical talent here.

If you want to trust that any pick from any draft can replace Sherman, that's an enormous gamble, especially given Thomas' uncertain return from injury.

My point is we now have a very long historical track record of our FO and Pete developing very good to great defensive backs within our defensive system.

So if there was one position I'm OK with letting a malcontent star go because he can no longer do what is asked of him, behave.........then DB is that position.

I've said many times now that I'd rather Sherman stay and shut up and play, but it's very apparent that he's not willing to do so. And I'm OK with that, because our FO has done an amazing job at finding DB talent. Hopefully DB's that don't act like spoiled brats.

That has not been as evident since Richard became DC and is not directly involved with coaching them, I think his impact was huge.

Ah, but positive impact vs negative of late? Which is he contributing more?
That said, I do understand his complaints with aspects of the team and remain convinced at least some of that discontent resides with the event-that-shall-not-be-named...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":9l9y5w5p said:

Shead was developing nicely, and would be every bit the compliment that Maxwell was next year if he didn't get hurt.

I guess the question is do we want a petulant Sherman who may be a locker room problem for the foreseeable future? Or do we trust Pete and John to replace him?

I tend to fall into the latter.

Let's not forget we'd also save Sherman's 11M a year, so that could go towards the O-line, or 2-3 other positions even.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1edd2rcq said:
chris98251":1edd2rcq said:

Shead was developing nicely, and would be every bit the compliment that Maxwell was next year if he didn't get hurt.

I guess the question is do we want a petulant Sherman who may be a locker room problem for the foreseeable future? Or do we trust Pete and John to replace him?

Let's not forget we'd also save Sherman's 11M a year, so that could go towards the O-line, or 2-3 other positions even.

It has to be for the right value. I'd think a 1st and a 3rd, or a 1st and a player. I know PFT was saying that the value is dropping. If that is so, then keep him and let him play.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1kika5zn said:
chris98251":1kika5zn said:

I think this might be weighing even more on management as they map out possible Sherman-related scenarios.

He's a bit slower. The slower he's become, the faster his mouth has been moving. Is he worth that price tag? And how much needed talent could be used with that $11 million? This is where the front office earns (or steals) its keep.

Don't know if I trust them to manage all this mess right, but we'll see...

Seymour

Reaction score
Seymour":2d3hi9w3 said:
....With 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, and this deep DB draft, I think we will be fine. Yes, there likely will be a decline losing Sherm, but I think overall it will be low impact.

Correction. If this deal goes down, we will have 6 picks in 1st 3 rounds and likely 2 in the first.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":c1hl68nz said:
Seymour":c1hl68nz said:
....With 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, and this deep DB draft, I think we will be fine. Yes, there likely will be a decline losing Sherm, but I think overall it will be low impact.

Correction. If this deal goes down, we will have 6 picks in 1st 3 rounds and likely 2 in the first.

The team would have to knock that draft out of the park. And the offense would have to pick up the slack while rookies fill important roles on D and get acclimated.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2mikzwa7 said:
It has to be for the right value. I'd think a 1st and a 3rd, or a 1st and a player. I know PFT was saying that the value is dropping. If that is so, then keep him and let him play.

I saw that, but I also saw a couple Tweets saying the Hawks are standing firm on what they want for Sherman.

The good news is I honestly don't think whether Sherman stays or goes will affect what we do in the draft. We're going to draft a couple corners regardless, but it'd be nice to have those extra pick(s) in order to move up or down to get our guys.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3oyzvjxs said:
Seymour":3oyzvjxs said:
Seymour":3oyzvjxs said:

The team would have to knock that draft out of the park. And the offense would have to pick up the slack while rookies fill important roles on D and get acclimated.

Only if you are looking to equal Sherm, which would be far fetched. How bout just a good solid couple of DB's and a bit more pass rush? That would come close in overall production of the last 2 years IMO.

Point is, many ways to skin the cat, and more options without Sherm.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1todpvne said:
Uncle Si":1todpvne said:

I saw that, but I also saw a couple Tweets saying the Hawks are standing firm on what they want for Sherman.

The good news is I honestly don't think whether Sherman stays or goes will affect what we do in the draft. We're going to draft a couple corners regardless, but it'd be nice to have those extra pick(s) in order to move up or down to get our guys.

I agree that we will draft corners whether or not we trade Sherman, but if a trade were to happen, they might pull the trigger on someone earlier than they would if Sherman were to continue to be a Seahawk. Either way, it's a position we need to address this draft for sure.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1iek9xes said:
Uncle Si":1iek9xes said:

Only if you are looking to equal Sherm, which would be far fetched. How bout just a good solid couple of DB's and a bit more pass rush? That would come close in overall production of the last 2 years IMO.

Yes, that's what I meant by the offense picking up the slack to allow the defensive recruits to get acclimated.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":1dfp0nvj said:
Sgt. Largent":1dfp0nvj said:
Uncle Si":1dfp0nvj said:

I agree that we will draft corners whether or not we trade Sherman, but if a trade were to happen, they might pull the trigger on someone earlier than they would if Sherman were to continue to be a Seahawk. Either way, it's a position we need to address this draft for sure.

Maybe.

With Shead being hurt I don't think it matters, we desperately need the best available corner when we pick..........or at least the best available corner WE LIKE. Which we know isn't always what the draft "experts" say is the best available.

But you're right, if Sherman stays we might go a different direction later on in the draft and address other needs. Still though, we're drafting at least 2, if not 3 DB's. This draft is so damn deep in the defensive backfield, we'd be crazy not to.

Hyak

Reaction score
Honestly, the pass rush and protecting the middle of the field are more important that CB play in this and most defenses really.

The pass rush from 2014 on has been hot and cold instead of steady. A big part of that is that the DL rotation is not as deep as it was in 2013.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":36tv5c82 said:
Seymour":36tv5c82 said:
Uncle Si":36tv5c82 said:
Seymour":36tv5c82 said:
]....With 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, and this deep DB draft, I think we will be fine. Yes, there likely will be a decline losing Sherm, but I think overall it will be low impact.

Yes, that's what I meant by the offense picking up the slack to allow the defensive recruits to get acclimated.[/quote]

Agree. The offense needed to pick up the slack they left last year anyway. I think some underestimate the degree the 2 units help each other. Our D started to fail after the O kept them on the field way too long so that was bound to happen. That (offense) has to improve as well anyway to be a SB caliber team IMO.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Seymour":1e900gxm said:
Agree. The offense needed to pick up the slack they left last year anyway. I think some underestimate the degree the 2 units help each other. Our D started to fail after the O kept them on the field way too long so that was bound to happen. That (offense) has to improve as well anyway to be a SB caliber team IMO.
-------------------------

That likely was a very big issue with our D. They kept marching back on the field with hardly any rest. People forget why our D used to chew teams up in the 2nd half. We had a running game that kept the other team's D on the field for longer stretches of time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3mqvfktq said:
#1 receivers the Seahawks face this season:

Larry Fitzgerald, twice
Julio Jones
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Odell Beckham, Jr.
DeAndre Hopkins
Alshon Jeffrey
T.Y. Hilton

If you really feel like getting sliced and diced by these guys all year, feel free to support the Sherman trade.
Money post! :2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":38jctixe said:
I doubt many people support it, he's one of the best in the game. But if he's going to act like a jack wagon again, when is enough just enough?
Pete created the "Frankenstein monster" that is RS by the way he runs the team and gives the players a lot of rope to be themselves and be outspoken. Also Pete goes after players with "chips on the shoulder". You should expect this type of "behavior" from time to time from players, especially outspoken ones, as it comes with the territory due to the way the team is run. IMHO you should take the bad with the good when you run things in that manner.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Calling out coaches, on the field, is flat out uncalled for. I don't care what player it is.
I don't mind cocky Sherm, but better than everyone else/calling people out in public/refuse to admit he's every wrong about anything EVER Sherm? Nope
And I flat out don't want him to be traded. It doesn't make the team better in any way.