Some Love for Marcus Burley

Jville

Reaction score
Nice find and linked post volsunghawk :th2thumbs: Thanks, it's finds like this that keep me coming back to seahawks.net

Small nickles Phillip Adams and Akeem Auguste didn't work out as hoped for so a follow up trade for Marcus Burley was a timely and spot on response. The visual separation, from the previous candidates, includes Burley's quickness thru traffic and long speed.

Unlike longer perimeter (redline) defensive backs, Burley more tightly mirrors receivers and attacks the incoming football from below .... with good effect verses taller/longer receivers. Burley's addition verifies a continuing interest in searching for a tough savvy Antonio Winfield style defender as a middle defender for the Seahawk defense. I'm hoping for continued progress by Marcus Burley in realizing that role and validating that vision.

Marcus Burley has been a most welcomed addition to the 2014 Seahawk story.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I've liked this guy since he stepped on the field...i remember asking over and over at the GB game who he was. I knew we had him but had no idea he'd be thrust into the lineup so quickly

hawkfan68

Reaction score
sc85sis":1ntoh8jc said:
Trenchbroom":1ntoh8jc said:
That formulates a good question in my mind:

USC followers (SIS, I am looking at you): did Pete always have dominant, soul crushing secondaries at USC? I remember his teams for the string of quality LB's (Polamalu, Lofa, Rey Maualuga) but for defensive players, that's about it.
I don't think we had the level that the Seahawks do, but who does?

We certainly had a number of really good players come through USC during Pete's time. Some ended up having pro careers, some were better in college. Some probably would have had good pro careers if not for injury issues.

Troy Polamalu (finished his 'SC career after Pete came)
Terrell Thomas
Shareece Wright
Taylor Mays
Darnell Bing
Eric Wright (was dismissed from school after getting into some legal issues)
Josh Pinkard
Kevin Ellison
Cary Harris
Kevin Thomas

There were also some other guys who contributed nicely but who are lesser known.

Pete came up as a DBs coach. It's his bread and butter.

That's quite a list....I believe Kris Richard is an USC alum too. He may have left before Pete C took over.

seabowl

Reaction score
As good as PC and Schneider are, their scouts should get equal amounts of accolades. These are the people finding these unknowns and replenishing the stock.

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawkfan68":385yfys3 said:
sc85sis":385yfys3 said:
Trenchbroom":385yfys3 said:

USC followers (SIS, I am looking at you): did Pete always have dominant, soul crushing secondaries at USC? I remember his teams for the string of quality LB's (Polamalu, Lofa, Rey Maualuga) but for defensive players, that's about it.

We certainly had a number of really good players come through USC during Pete's time. Some ended up having pro careers, some were better in college. Some probably would have had good pro careers if not for injury issues.

Terrell Thomas
Shareece Wright
Taylor Mays
Darnell Bing
Josh Pinkard
Kevin Ellison
Cary Harris
Kevin Thomas

There were also some other guys who contributed nicely but who are lesser known.

That's quite a list....I believe Kris Richard is an USC alum too. He may have left before Pete C took over.
He was there early in Pete's tenure. Pete has said that it was Kris' pick six that was a pivotal turning point for the team to realize they could win.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
seabowl":2e8a6bcb said:
As good as PC and Schneider are, their scouts should get equal amounts of accolades. These are the people finding these unknowns and replenishing the stock.
They're at least bringing these guys to the attention of PC and JS for them to decide on. Good point man.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
sc85sis":16947vsw said:
Trenchbroom":16947vsw said:

Terrell Thomas
Shareece Wright
Taylor Mays
Darnell Bing
Josh Pinkard
Kevin Ellison
Cary Harris
Kevin Thomas

Remember when people were genuinely upset that Thomas was drafted instead of Mays?

Basis4day

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3vdn86al said:
sc85sis":3vdn86al said:
Trenchbroom":3vdn86al said:

Terrell Thomas
Shareece Wright
Taylor Mays
Darnell Bing
Josh Pinkard
Kevin Ellison
Cary Harris
Kevin Thomas

Remember when people were genuinely upset that Thomas was drafted instead of Mays?

I'll openly admit to being one.

CANHawk

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3frzdlm7 said:
sc85sis":3frzdlm7 said:
Trenchbroom":3frzdlm7 said:

Terrell Thomas
Shareece Wright
Taylor Mays
Darnell Bing
Josh Pinkard
Kevin Ellison
Cary Harris
Kevin Thomas

No actually. I figured if Pete passed on him, it was because he knew him better than anyone. Naw, that was more of a "well isn't THAT interesting" kind of moment... at least for me anyway.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Color me impressed with Burley. He had another good game today, got beat once, but had a good game otherwise.

YEa, Z man, I have noticed Cox playing very well for SF. Can't win em all, heh.