Start Chris Carson

Rat

Reaction score
vin.couve12":177nwavh said:
I don't care who has done what before. This is right now, this season, and he's the best overall back on the roster.

You mean in games that actually matter? Yeah, we should ignore that. :roll:

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":2gd31s19 said:
vin.couve12":2gd31s19 said:
I don't care who has done what before. This is right now, this season, and he's the best overall back on the roster.

So the Chargers, Vikings and Chiefs defenses weren't trying? Your comment makes no sense.

btw, if you're counting ONLY regular season then how can you comfortably start Rawls or Lacy? Neither played well last year, and neither has played well this pre-season........or in Rawls case barely at all.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawk45":3bn728nc said:
.....If Lacy doesn't see a ton of carries he might head back to the buffet.....

:D :D :D

LMAO. He may already be in line.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I agree. Carson could save the run game. Makes sense to start him now. We all know that rawls and procise will be on IR sooner than later. Like it or not Carson Lacey and Collins will be our guys at rb. Carson is the best of the bunch and maybe our starter moving fwd in the next few years. Hopefully Mike Davis will still be around as a free agent when the band aid brothers go down for the year. Rb has to be a high priority in next yrs draft

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dlakagk said:
Rat":3dlakagk said:
vin.couve12":3dlakagk said:

So the Chargers, Vikings and Chiefs defenses weren't trying? Your comment makes no sense.

btw, if you're counting ONLY regular season then how can you comfortably start Rawls or Lacy? Neither played well last year, and neither has played well this pre-season........or in Rawls case barely at all.

I'm not saying preseason means nothing. Carson's great play obviously should count, but I don't think it should have more weight than past performances in more meaningful games. At the very, very least, past performance should be a consideration.

There's a lot to consider with preseason. Nobody is game-planning, nobody is desperate to win, any great player with a hangnail sits out, star players aren't going 100%, etc. It's like 20% a season warm-up and 80% for the fringe players trying to make rosters.

We see this every year with these phenomenal preseason performances from players who are never heard from again. I'm actually pretty optimistic about Carson's chances to pan out, largely because I think his size, vision, and power are more likely than not translatable to regular season games, but those saying he has proven he should be starting, I can't get on board with that, especially with what we've seen from Rawls and Prosise when healthy.

Seymour

Reaction score
Rat":245i3fh0 said:
Sgt. Largent":245i3fh0 said:
Rat":245i3fh0 said:
vin.couve12":245i3fh0 said:

I'm not saying preseason means nothing. Carson's great play obviously should count, but I don't think it should have more weight than past performances in more meaningful games. At the very, very least, past performance should be a consideration.

There's a lot to consider with preseason. Nobody is game-planning, nobody is desperate to win, any great player with a hangnail sits out, star players aren't going 100%, etc. It's like 20% a season warm-up and 80% for the fringe players trying to make rosters.

We see this every year with these phenomenal preseason performances from players who are never heard from again. I'm actually pretty optimistic about Carson's chances to pan out, largely because I think his size, vision, and power are more likely than not translatable to regular season games, but those saying he has proven he should be starting, I can't get on board with that, especially with what we've seen from Rawls and Prosise when healthy.

That is not how Pete sees this. Flynn still holds the record in Green Bay for TD's in a REAL game, and Wilson won it in the pre season anyway.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
gowazzu02":v8w2o3ck said:
Hendo66":v8w2o3ck said:
I'm in. Also looks like he can block.

This RB crew of Rawls/Lacy/Prosise looks pretty sketchy to say the least.

Im on the fence. One side of me says we ALWAYS see a preseason hero, whether or not it's real I guess is the coachs job to determine.

We have Lacy with a big contract, but only 1 year. Then we have the injury twins with Rawls and Prosise....im not sure what to do with that RB room right now.

All I know is we cant cut Carson cause he'd get scooped up immediately..

Usually the preseason heros that dont pan out are the guys who look good against 3rd stringers. Carson has been playing with the starters. He's the real deal.

Rat

Reaction score
Seymour":1vg5olmc said:
That is not how Pete sees this. Flynn still holds the record in Green Bay for TD's in a REAL game, and Wilson won it in the pre season anyway.

Flynn had like three career games of starting footage to watch, and none of that had been with the Seahawks. His experience probably did factor in, but obviously with some guys that's going to factor in more than others. Flynn was still largely an unknown.

I was in favor or Flynn starting over Russ that year, but I honestly thought both looked great in preseason, and Russell lighting up the regular season would have been unprecedented. He then went on and did something unprecedented. I was wrong then (although I still think Flynn would have been good/great here), maybe I'm wrong again now, but I've been burned too many times on preseason hype to make a declaration like a 7th round rookie should be starting because of a great preseason. Lots of players look great this time of year.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":1p1yyuut said:
We see this every year with these phenomenal preseason performances from players who are never heard from again.

We've also seen it mean something very special, as in the cases I mentioned about about both Russell and Frank Clark tearing up the pre-season.

I know when it's legit and when it's fake "phenomenal." Same feeling I had when I saw Russell for the first time is what I'm seeing in Carson. They jump off the screen.

You know it when you see it, and I see it in Carson. Dude's a baller.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Carson showed real potential.
Guy runs HARD.

Nice to have that option at the ready.

Coaching staff has a tough decision as to who gets the majority of touches starting the season.
That's a good problem to have.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
So, for those who agree that Carson is the real deal, what would you think of trading Lacy to Kansas City for Cam Thomas or Jarvis Jenkins?

Jville

Reaction score
bigskydoc":34rpuknb said:
So, for those who agree that Carson is the real deal, what would you think of trading Lacy to Kansas City for Cam Thomas or Jarvis Jenkins?

Sounds like an unnecessary detour.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3smffycw said:

I'd be down for either of these in a Lacy trade.

Not sure you'd do this if you're KC, not for a back like Lacy that stunk last year and hasn't shown anything in the pre-season this year. I'd imagine there are better RB trade options than Lacy.

But from our side? Heck yeah.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18qg9f5a said:
bigskydoc":18qg9f5a said:

I'd be down for either of these in a Lacy trade.

Not sure you'd do this if you're KC, not for a back like Lacy that stunk last year and hasn't shown anything in the pre-season this year. I'd imagine there are better RB trade options than Lacy.

But from our side? Heck yeah.

Really?

1) Lacy got injured last year and before his season ending injury he was averaging 5.1 ypc. Can you please address how 5.1ypc = stunk last year?

2) He has had limited carries and he is coming back from that injury. You are crazy to judge someone from preseason for a number of reasons. Maybe Kasen should be our WR#1? lol

I realize we all just give opinions here....but at least have some truth or fact to your statements.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Continuing to be surprised so many still riding the Rawls and Prosise trains. Good guys but the injury proneness is too much. I don't think both will be ready for game 1. I like this kid Carson for all the reasons mentioned but most of all because he stays healthy.

My prediction is Green bay game is close or we are slightly behind going into the second half and our run game is not going anywhere. Carson starts the second half and the issue becomes settled. Seattle wins the game on Chris Carson's back.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
McDowell appears to be lost for the season. We really need some interior D-line help. Lacy won't net us much in trade, but we might be able to twist KC's arm for a declining vet to help shore things up for both teams. Only reason I could see KC going for it is the season ender to Ware.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Start Carson over Rawls ? Not while he is healthy

I would be shocked. Carson is good and does need to get some carries and can help split the load. He has no where near the explosion of both Rawls or Prosise. If Rawls or Prosise can play they do, with carson backing up Rawls and complementing Prosise. Its great that so far he has shown he can play in training camp and preseason. Carson makes a hell of a back up role player. I won't be surprised if he and lacey carry the load for half the season, but when Rawls is healthy he will start.

Jville

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2rmk5azp said:
McDowell appears to be lost for the season. We really need some interior D-line help. Lacy won't net us much in trade, but we might be able to twist KC's arm for a declining vet to help shore things up for both teams. Only reason I could see KC going for it is the season ender to Ware.

Two questions.

#1 Why hijack this thread?

#2 Why the nonsense about replacing a prospect who couldn't show up on time for training camp and has yet to practice a single snap?

Jville

Reaction score
Fudwamper":bwpd9j0t said:
Start Carson over Rawls ? Not while he is healthy

I would be shocked. Carson is good and does need to get some carries and can help split the load. He has no where near the explosion of both Rawls or Prosise. If Rawls or Prosise can play they do, with carson backing up Rawls and complementing Prosise. Its great that so far he has shown he can play in training camp and preseason. Carson makes a hell of a back up role player. I won't be surprised if he and lacey carry the load for half the season, but when Rawls is healthy he will start.

With the running backs currently on the roster, there really is no urgency to start a rookie. Patience is find by me. They will all get some snaps as the coaching staff seeks out match up advantages.