Start Chris Carson

hawk45

Reaction score
The beginning of last season our backs were getting stoned 3 yards behind the LOS it seemed to me.
My heart really isn't in making an argument against starting Carson but it's so easy to switch backs in midstream that I'm not that concerned even if they aren't making the perfect choice.
Lacy has played so it was never going to be a one man band with Rawls anyways.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawk45":1cmhvnae said:
The beginning of last season our backs were getting stoned 3 yards behind the LOS it seemed to me.
My heart really isn't in making an argument against starting Carson but it's so easy to switch backs in midstream that I'm not that concerned even if they aren't making the perfect choice.
Michael avg 4.4 ypc week one, 6.0 ypc week 2.

Rawls looked like he hadn't played. We have a sample to draw from here. Let's not make believe just to make believe and let the team suffer for it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
The other part is that pass blocking is often even more sketchy out the gate and Carson is the best pass blocker we've had since Lynch.

I think Carson ought to get the first series, but I don't deny one bit that we need to get Rawls going and Prosise as well. I think we'll use all 4 backs this year even without injury.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawk45":1m4eydwr said:

My problem is as much as I love how Rawls runs, he's not good at the mental part of the game.......especially when he's running for his job.

Once he was hurt and had to come back and prove himself last year, he missed lanes, missed blocks and ran into contact unnecessarily and got himself dinged up again.

Yes he had a great playoff game, but IMO he either doesn't have the mental part down, or he's never going to get it.

Carson on the other hand already looks like a 10 year vet with how composed of a runner he is.

Give Rawls and Lacy a chance I guess, but Pete better have a short leash if our run game flounders the first 3-4 weeks, of which I suspect it will.

hawk45

Reaction score
I will say I see zero downside to starting Carson if they feel he is the most game-ready and mixing other players in.
They may end up doing that. Or, they may have a different evaluation of Rawls than we do.
Lacy seemed pretty ready in game 3. I don't have much reservation in giving him carries based on what he's shown in the league and what they've seen of him here.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I'm in, I have seen enough to have joined the Carson fan club. All BS aside this kid is the real deal. He is a natural with great instincts. I've been telling anyone who would listen, all thru the preseason that this guy is going to end up being our lead RB this year.

As much as I love Rawls and want to see him play the way we all know he can, I can't help but wonder and worry which play he's going to get up from and limp off the field with another broken leg or ankle. I keep hoping they will figure out a way to help him stay healthy but it's not looking so good so far this year. Only a few carries and he's back on the bench with a sore ankle.

Alex Collins was cut a year to late, they should have let him go last year and kept Pope when he was playing healthy and playing like a man possessed. Pedigree won out over competition results and Alex got the nod I didn't think he deserved. I wish him luck in his travels, I wish Troymaine even more with the Colts, he's already starting to shine a little over there.

Lacy is looking pretty decent, but put film up of him and Carson and I still think it's pretty evident who our most productive and reliable RB is right now, and on top of that he seems to be able to take a licken and keep on tickin dammit, that's the most important asset you can have as a RB in the NFL.

My vote goes to CC Rider lol !!!

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
pacific101":1naza4kz said:
I'm in, I have seen enough to have joined the Carson fan club. All BS aside this kid is the real deal. He is a natural with great instincts. I've been telling anyone who would listen, all thru the preseason that this guy is going to end up being our lead RB this year.
My vote goes to CC Rider lol !!!

CC Rider.. :?: :idea: Wouldn't that be Russell Wilson? :shock:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
To make all of our runners effective behind our soso line, Wilson has got to show that he's a threat to run. The last couple of years, Wilson just sits back like he's a AR or a TB and our run game suffered. Wilson is not those QB's and has to play to his strength, which is being mobile and other teams need to know this. Once he becomes a viable threat, our run game will flourish, I"m totally confident about this.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I'm really surprised at how many people are willing to send Rawls and Prosise down the trash chute. I mean yeah, Carson looked great in preseason, but it was only that: preseason. Rawls and Prosise have gotten it done in the regular season and playoffs, at home and on the road, in games that actually matter, games where the other team actually needs to win. You don't start a preseason hero over that.

And I know, you can point to Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn. But Wilson has also proven to be a once-in-a-decade diamond in the rough. You just don't bench two--three if you count Lacy--experienced starters in a gamble that you've got another Russell Wilson-caliber gem on your bench.

Besides, one of those other three RBs will be hurt by week 5 and you'll still see plenty of Carson.

I vote to keep the kid in reserve for now. Start Rawls.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'm in favor of letting Lacy and Rawls duke it out to start. If they are getting it done however, I would love to see Pete put Carson in to change it up. Either way I'm pumped, the running game should be back this season.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2gtqs3h3 said:
I'm in favor of letting Lacy and Rawls duke it out to start. If they are getting it done however, I would love to see Pete put Carson in to change it up. Either way I'm pumped, the running game should be back this season.

I'm not OK with Rawls starting if he's still dinged up.

Not sure HOW he's still dinged up, dude hasn't done anything since the first pre-season game almost a month ago.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Bobblehead":12zntdq4 said:
To make all of our runners effective behind our soso line, Wilson has got to show that he's a threat to run. The last couple of years, Wilson just sits back like he's a AR or a TB and our run game suffered. Wilson is not those QB's and has to play to his strength, which is being mobile and other teams need to know this. Once he becomes a viable threat, our run game will flourish, I"m totally confident about this.

Two things need to happen for this to come to fruition.

1) The Bevell needs to bring back the read option

2) Once read option is back, RW actually needs to keep the football when it makes sense.

I think the team moved away from the read option as it didn't net many yards. Part of this is that RW rarely if ever kept the ball and thus it was pointless.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1h18ol2k said:
1) The Bevell needs to bring back the read option.

It never left, it only disappeared all of last season because our QB was playing on one leg. Defenses don't really respect the read option when your QB isn't mobile.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2l7m39rq said:
falcongoggles":2l7m39rq said:

It never left, it only disappeared all of last season because our QB was playing on one leg. Defenses don't really respect the read option when your QB isn't mobile.
Pretty sure I saw it a couple of times in the pre-season games. Would/could be an effective way to keeping D's off balance. I'm hopeful the O-line is improved, but I'm all for any kind of deception or creative play-calling to help them out. RO is another good way to do that. It can freeze the DE effectively when it works.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":1uo1kj7j said:
Sgt. Largent":1uo1kj7j said:
falcongoggles":1uo1kj7j said:

Pretty sure I saw it a couple of times in the pre-season games. Would/could be an effective way to keeping D's off balance. I'm hopeful the O-line is improved, but I'm all for any kind of deception or creative play-calling to help them out. RO is another good way to do that. It can freeze the DE effectively when it works.

For sure we'll run the read again now that Russell is lighter and healthy.

But I'd guess it won't be as much as we saw in his first couple of years, and that's a good thing because it means he's now a fully formed QB that doesn't need to run the read 25% of the time for our offense to be effective.

But yes, you'll see it, because as you said it is still a VERY effective way to keep the defense honest.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Not sure how Rawls can still be injured, but tgis just goes to show so to speak. Seems like it's going to be a Lacy, Carson, Prosise week. While I still think Carson should start, it's probably Lacy that gets the nod.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
We have 4 RBs who are potential number 1 guys. Lacy was at the Packers and could be at that level again. Rawls was #1 RB quality in 2015. Prosise is a brilliant dual threat when healthy. Carson just oozes potential.

Why go all in on 1 guy when all of them could get snaps to keep all of them fresh and then just ride the hot hand.