Start Drew Lock for remainder?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Except it's really not. Most of our offensive ineptitude has been at the play calling level, not Geno. Geno has not been great the last two games but he's been mostly not bad either. He's been mediocre, which when added to his very good play the rest of the year, makes focusing on Geno reductive. In fact, if it wasn't for opinions formed before the season started, we'd barely be talking about it.

Further, starting Lock when this team still has a chance to make the playoffs sabotages our relationship with Geno to learn not much about Lock. If we have any plans to bring him back next year, you absolutely do not tell him we're taking away your chance to make the playoffs so we can look at your replacement in case you end up being too expensive.

-

Overall, though, I simply don't understand being so blasé about tanking, even as just a fan. This isn't a particularly great strategy even in the NBA (teams that tank tend to just keep tanking at every set back) and the NBA is a league where one great player can be a huge difference. This is mostly a terrible strategy in the NFL where you typically need not just a good draft but smart, strategic FA acquisitions to turn a season around. There are too many players on a starting roster for one draft to change your fortunes significantly. Even getting the 'best' QB in the draft is simply a gamble.

We tank now we get, what, 3 spots better in the draft on our second first round pick? How many extra wins is that next year? One... maybe? And that's if we don't alienate the entire locker room by giving up on a team that still has hopes for the playoffs.

The NFL is an any given Sunday league. The Seahawks team that showed up during our win streak can play with anyone in the NFL. If you make the playoffs, all bets are off so everyone who says 'I don't want to see this team make the playoffs' I really don't understand.
I will respectfully disagree with you on Geno. While he is a bit better than I thought he’d be, he isn’t a franchise QB or one you’d give a long term or a 30 million a year contract to, IMHO.

Reaction score
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/12/...ck-2022-regress-stats-touchdown-offense-draft

Geno has legitimately played as good as any QB this year…so say the stats, grades, and eyeball test. Sure, he’s had some bad plays here and there but get this—so does every f’n QB in the league.

This team has fallen off as a whole, especially the defense and play in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Would be nice if people could be banned for such awful takes like advocating benching one of our best players…or…wanting to see this team miss the playoffs for…reasons.

Even more embarrassing to see any support for either idea—.Net has become a cesspool of bad takes.

Jerhawk

Reaction score

This team has fallen off as a whole, especially the defense and play in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Would be nice if people could be banned for such awful takes like advocating benching one of our best players…or…wanting to see this team miss the playoffs for…reasons.

Even more embarrassing to see any support for either idea—.Net has become a cesspool of bad takes.
Agreed. Anyone who supports this team not making the playoffs should be banned.
I, for one, know that this team will be a threat in the post season.

And playing Drew Lock? Yeah, right. We know what we got there. We've seen what he looks like in this system.

Glad to see we're on the same page

Last edited:

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I will respectfully disagree with you on Geno. While he is a bit better than I thought he’d be, he isn’t a franchise QB or one you’d give a long term or a 30 million a year contract to, IMHO.
Being a top 5 QB in completion percentage, passer rating, QBR and making the Pro Bowl is only a 'bit' better than you thought he'd be?

If he wasn't Geno Smith, there'd be literally no discussion whatsoever. Instead, we'd be talking about how Russ/Mayfield/Garoppolo/Insert-Rookie-You-Thought-We-Should-Have-Drafted-Here is having an amazing year and we're blowing it for them.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
No need to read 4 pages of this.
Plain and simple, Geno is going to start the rest of the games. Barring injury.

Rainger

Reaction score

hawks85

Reaction score
Absolute untruth ^, With the falter scheme the Seahawks Defense have employed, they cannot STOP the running attacks, + no REAL running attack of our own = MOST of those 5 Losses.
Defenses know these weaknesses (film) and they also know that if they stymie Blythe & blow up the middle of the Offensive Line, Geno won't have the TIME to get the ball out to his Receivers.....AND NEITHER WOULD LOCK be able to overcome those exact same weaknesses.
Geno IS NOT THE PROBLEM, quite the contrary.
I'm not saying Geno is the problem. I'm saying Geno needs to adapt. There are teams with far worse O-lines. Geno knows there is no rushing attack, so he needs to adapt for the stacked boxes and throwing more. This falls on Waldron as well. I'll repharse this. Smith and Waldron need to cook up something for the lack of the running game. Our defense played well Saturday until the last KC touchdown. The defense played well enough for Seattle to win that game. Geno looked lost and confused leading to a very lackluster offensive performance against a very lackluster KC defense.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I'm not saying Geno is the problem. I'm saying Geno needs to adapt. There are teams with far worse O-lines. Geno knows there is no rushing attack, so he needs to adapt for the stacked boxes and throwing more. This falls on Waldron as well. I'll repharse this. Smith and Waldron need to cook up something for the lack of the running game. Our defense played well Saturday until the last KC touchdown. The defense played well enough for Seattle to win that game. Geno looked lost and confused leading to a very lackluster offensive performance against a very lackluster KC defense.
Yes, our offense was lackluster, and Geno had a very middling game (his second in a row), but I do put most of this on the play calling.

We got down multiple scores and Pete decides to go run/run/run basically the entire second half (and this was definitely on Pete, not Waldron). We never let Geno get into a rhythm because we only called his number whenever we got behind the sticks (and then were calling weird screens to our number 3 TE as our 'plan' to get 9 yards on third down).

Now I read in the News Tribune that Pete was 'happy' with this performance because we got a bunch of yards in the second half. Of course we did! The defense was spread out to stop us from scoring fast in our passing game.

I hope to God Pete's plan is not to get down by multiple scores to soften up the opposing D for our run game, but that article does not give me hope...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't want them to start Lock. But he is 1-5 in his last 6 games. So IF they would have put in Lock, so be it.
And the play calling isn't the reason he keeps throwing passes right to the defenders. He should have a LOT more interceptions this year. He's been extremely lucky.

Latest posts