Stop Saying "The Seahawks are a young team." They Are Not

Mad Dog

Reaction score
If as they say, you build a team from the outside in, we have very young edge defenders, the cornerstones to any rebuild.
Once we get our QBOTF, we will have a very young team at key positions. Then you can sprinkle in a stud DT and some veteran leadership at safety and LB. Boom, Bob's your uncle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
All I did was post a factually correct statement. When compared against the entire league the Seahawks have one of the older rosters in the NFL (25th). And it is factually incorrect to call them young. if you're viewing this statement as a negative, then that is what is residing in you're own head, and I can't help you with that.

So you're point is to refute people who think the Hawks have a young roster? That's a thing on here?

The Hawks are 3-3 and exceeding most pundits, media members and fans expectations. Why is that bad again?

keasley45

Reaction score
So you're point is to refute people who think the Hawks have a young roster? That's a thing on here?

The Hawks are 3-3 and exceeding most pundits, media members and fans expectations. Why is that bad again?

The counter argument this entire offseason was that the Hawks were sunk with Carroll and Jodi with an 'i' running things and proof was that they let the only thing that made this team great, walk.
And as a result, we had zero talent... a bunch of JAGs, and the rebuild woukd take 2 or 3 years minimum if it ever yielded success again, because Pete can only succeed with 'superior ' talent.
And... by some naysayers own words, we were too young and unproven to warrant even considering that we have enough talent to compete.

And.. anyone thinking Geno Smith was good enough to hold RWs jock was a hopeless, blind, Homer

So now that that's all been disproven, the only way to maintain a position that this franchise is still 'hopeless ' is to nitpick every failure, every flaw and find any reason to discredit the accomplishments of the team and in particular, PC.

And even take one of the original arguments to substantiate the belief we'd suck (we're too young), and twist into us not being young, but being old enough to play better... if we had better coaching.

I too wish the defense was playing better and have been frustrated with the lack of performance. I also know that there are valid reasons for the struggles, both this year, last year and in 2020. Reasons, not excuses. This is the first full year of a retooled defense. New players, New coaches, new scheme. That in itself is an acknowledgement on the part of the coaching staff that things weren't working. So they're building again and it's off to a less than ideal start. But there's nothing to make me believe that guven the talent we already have the position we are in to acquire whatever additional pieces we need, that this coaching staff and team won't be very successful again, much sooner than 99% of the football world thought they would.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pete is doing a hell of a job. Geno is balling out. The team is 3-3 and on the rise. Things are good here in Seattle, and are going to get better.
Fade will NEVER admit he was wrong about Pete, ever. It's not going to happen. I have been ready to move on from Pete the last couple years. But, he's coaching his a** off with this YOUNG team. He'll leave when he wants to. Wake up Fade, it IS OK to admit you were wrong.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So now that that's all been disproven, the only way to maintain a position that this franchise is still 'hopeless ' is to nitpick wvery failure, every flaw and find any reason to discredit the accomplishments of the team and in particular, PC.

I too wish the defense was playing better and have been frustrated with the lack of performance. I also know that there are valid reasons for the struggles, both this year, last year and in 2020. Reasons, not excuses. This is the first full year of a retooled defense. New players, New coaches, new scheme. That in itself is an acknowledgement on the part of the coaching staff that things weren't working. So they're building again and it's off to a less than ideal start. But there's nothing to make me believe that guven the talent we already have the position we are in to acquire whatever additional pieces we need, that this coaching staff and team won't be very successful again, much sooner than 99% of the football world thought they would.

Oh I know what Fade's doing, grasping at straws.

Sure if the team was 1-5, the draft class sucked, Geno was a complete disaster and Russ was cookin' in Denver he'd have a good argument for all the negative crap he throws against the wall on the daily up in here.

But none of these things have happened. In fact the only thing that's happened is Pete and John are being vindicated for ABSOLUTELY FLEECING Denver, drafting the greatest draft class since 2012, and maybe in Seahawk history.........AND Pete's pulling a miracle out of his ass with Geno, so much that he's now a top 5 QB in the entire league.

Someone should keep track of Fade's grasping at straws threads. So far this week it's "Pete Ball", and now we've got "FYI WE'RE OLD!"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe. But there could be legit frustration.

The reality is that if our defense was even just average, and the offense keeps playing at the same pace - we are a playoff team.

Few (maybe some but not most) expected that. And there has been a lot of opportunity squandered in terms of draft capital for defense that did not work out.
But remember, we don't hit for average, we swing for the fences. We spend a lot of picks on lots of players in hopes that a few turn into stars.
We do not focus on using each pick to best get players that have the best chance of sticking on the club and contributing.
We will take the high ceiling long shot over the low ceiling sure thing any day of the week.

But again, just an average defense and this is a very different season. So frustration makes sense.
And it should be pointed out, this team is massively exceeding expectations, Geno is blowing past most projections for him, the offense is humming even with our RB out. And we are still near division bottom and basically a .500 team.

My concern was more that we don't have an easy fix. But then again, I didn't expect anything this year so not really possible to be disappointed.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Maybe. But there could be legit frustration.

The reality is that if our defense was even just average, and the offense keeps playing at the same pace - we are a playoff team.

Few (maybe some but not most) expected that. And there has been a lot of opportunity squandered in terms of draft capital for defense that did not work out.
But remember, we don't hit for average, we swing for the fences. We spend a lot of picks on lots of players in hopes that a few turn into stars.
We do not focus on using each pick to best get players that have the best chance of sticking on the club and contributing.
We will take the high ceiling long shot over the low ceiling sure thing any day of the week.

But again, just an average defense and this is a very different season. So frustration makes sense.
And it should be pointed out, this team is massively exceeding expectations, Geno is blowing past most projections for him, the offense is humming even with our RB out. And we are still near division bottom and basically a .500 team.

My concern was more that we don't have an easy fix. But then again, I didn't expect anything this year so not really possible to be disappointed.
You see the Seahawks near the bottom and I see them at the top of the division, both are correct. Clearly you assume a flat or downward trend based upon what I'm not quite sure - the past? Fade's reaching and emo-based posts? pittpnthr's guaranteed sardonic take? Spin's spin? Or your fence straddling?

Most people have realized that the truth is much more nuanced seeing that with Pete Carroll as head coach the Seahawks have always competed and have done so weekly through 6 games this year too.

Competing does not mean winning every game or not making mistakes or even not looking broken at times. Even the great LOB failed at times. It happens. It's football. Look beyond the moment and as things progress these absolutist perspectives begin to look comical.

If you are really a fan of the Seahawks let's hope you and your hyper-critical negative take is as wrong as I and others think it is.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
the YOUNG Rascals were one of my favorite bands when I was in HS

btw, I'm Groovin' on this young Seahawks team

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
The young excuse is just a euphemism for poor coaching and lack of talent. "It's okay, gize! They're young!"

It's the young players that are actually playing well. It's the coaches and the veterans that need to pick it up.
People use the youth excuse in every sport, but especially college football. It's funny how it doesn't apply to teams like Alabama though. Sometimes it's a legitimate excuse. Usually it's drafting, development, and coaching.