Stressing too much during the games?

Wartooth

Reaction score
My wife watches the games with me, she's a novice Seahawks fan, and freaks out when anything negative happens.
She often ask how I can be so calm, I simply tell her I've been supporting this team for 35 years...And they haven't killed me yet!
I will admit I have a new found sense of calm since Russell came along, I just never feel they 'can't' win when he's ball'in.
Zen.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
I usually watch alone because I get annoyed/stressed with other people. I'll have a little beer or wine or scotch, just something to take the edge off and calm the heart. Usually I will browse the game day forum here or on reddit because having a distraction helps.

I watched the Saints game with my mom and step-dad. Step-dad is cool to watch with. He's like me and we sit there silently until something awesome happens (shouting, high 5's) or something really negative (minor sounds of discontent), otherwise silence except during commercials.

I love my mom dearly and she's really gotten into the Hawks, she got herself a new Seahawk sweatshirt this year and whatnot. She'll sometimes interject at the worst time possible with, "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!" Or when NO scored their TD to get to 15 she really started hemming and hawing. "Oh no. Nooooooo. Ehhhhhh..." like she was on the phone with a friend who was telling mom they had to put the dog to sleep. I finally had to tell her to stop because she was annoying the living sh!t out of me. It's actually pretty cute she cares so much, I just don't need the audible reminder during the game.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
The "browner" idea in the original post would work fine. :)

falcongoggles

Reaction score
The games are on sometime between 10 pm and 2 am out here. When I get pissed and start yelling my wife is always worried I'm going to get the cops called on us.

Tough to explain to the Italian police why you were screaming at 1 in the morning "THE PLAY CLOCK WAS AT ZERO, THE PLAY CLOCK WAS AT ZERO!"

Ruminator

Reaction score
Crabhawk":11asef57 said:
I love my mom dearly and she's really gotten into the Hawks, she got herself a new Seahawk sweatshirt this year and whatnot. She'll sometimes interject at the worst time possible with, "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!" Or when NO scored their TD to get to 15 she really started hemming and hawing. "Oh no. Nooooooo. Ehhhhhh..." like she was on the phone with a friend who was telling mom they had to put the dog to sleep.

Heh. I can relate, although it's my wife. And there has rarely been a game where she's exclaimed "We're going to lose this game!" -- sometimes as early as the first quarter. I am waiting for the day when she finally realizes that with the very special type of team the Seahawks are, it's always ridiculous to get all doom and gloomy before the fourth quarter.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, sleep will not be happening on Saturday night.
I'll be like Elf in the morning "I got a full 45 minutes"

Lanakila

Reaction score
irocdave":2rma4bkg said:
Don't drink during the game. Have the alcohol chilled and waiting but don't drink it until the game is out of reach and it's late in the 4th quarter. That next 4 hours sucks worse than it does without alcohol being involved. Still sucks and wanting to break things and or snap at a loved ones will still probably happen. If you found watching the Saints game hard last Saturday you probably shouldn't watch this Sundays game.

This is good advice. 'Nothing worse than being drunk and watching your team lose.' Especially this part.

hawker84

Reaction score
Throwdown":2pppfn5m said:
I stress real bad, so much so that watching the game with another person is a really unpleasant experience for me and them. Needless to say, I have to be alone on game day.

I thought i was the only one. I love watching games with my dad, but he's so laid back i can't take it, i can't go to bars without fear of making a complete jackass of myself... I'd watch it with my buddies, but it's so hard to hear sometimes over all the talking, so i'll do what i've done every game this season. Lock myself in my house, and watch it by myself, it's the safe thing to do.

JonRud

Reaction score
I am a disaster during the games if it's not going well. It's at the point where my wife won't even come down in the Seaden during the game she doesn't want to be around me.

Thankfully the Saints game was good because we were never in real danger of losing. I had about 12 people over and we had a blast.

She is happy I am going to Seattle this week - she doesn't want me anywhere near the house. I have her so stressed out about these games.

Yes, this is not good but what can I say?

Throwdown

Reaction score
hawker84":lznaqt8i said:
Throwdown":lznaqt8i said:
I stress real bad, so much so that watching the game with another person is a really unpleasant experience for me and them. Needless to say, I have to be alone on game day.

I thought i was the only one. I love watching games with my dad, but he's so laid back i can't take it, i can't go to bars without fear of making a complete jackass of myself... I'd watch it with my buddies, but it's so hard to hear sometimes over all the talking, so i'll do what i've done every game this season. Lock myself in my house, and watch it by myself, it's the safe thing to do.

LOL My dad just says things that I don't agree with and I have to fight off the anger sharks. It's a little worse with my friend, specially during the game where we played his Colts. My dad will turn into some worry wart or say things like "WE DON'T DESERVE TO WIN", I just blink slowly and look away in disgust. We could be whooping some ass and I'm a jerk, sooooo yeah.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I have to remember not to have my young ones around....they don't quite understand why yet dad yells and curses and throws things at the TV. They think they are in trouble or something....nothing family counseling can't fix lol

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I tend to be fairly calm through the first quarter or so, until I see how the game unfolds.

If it's close, like the Saints game, I'm a pacer. I also have this habit of getting on my knees and watching from behind my couch.

JonRud

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":28dbvykb said:
I tend to be fairly calm through the first quarter or so, until I see how the game unfolds.

If it's close, like the Saints game, I'm a pacer. I also have this habit of getting on my knees and watching from behind my couch.

I do the same thing!!! We have a big stuffed dog behind the couch and for a key plays I lay on the dog and kind of peer over the couch so I can see 30% of the TV. I did this for most of the 4th qtr. and OT of the Bears game last year.

I really need help, like a clinic or something. Regular sessions.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Throwdown":2puiq3z9 said:

I don't stress real bad, but I enjoy watching the game alone most of the time. It allows me to focus only on the game and not have to focus on other people. That being said I enjoy chat and forums, when I have them, I just prefer people not being around me so that I can pay 100% attention to my Seahawks.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
I've been pretty good this year, I don't get too emotionally invested like I have in the past. I've only had to apologize to my wife twice this year! Once after blocked kick vs Tenn ("What the hell? Why are they kicking? The kicker is hurt, it's on the 3, who's holding? What in the worl-YOU'VE GOTTA BE SHITTING ME!!!!WHAT THE *&$#!.....Sorry honey....) and the other last weekend when Thomas tipped the ball right to the NOLA receiver.

The older I've got, the more I realize my life doesn't change one iota if they win or lose. May as well just cheer for them, be happy when they win and shrug my shoulders when they don't.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Wow, so many kindred souls in this thread. :D

The pacing? Check. Avoiding drinking because as great as it is to be half drunk and win, it *totally sucks* to be half drunk and lose? Check. Compulsively checking .net? Check. Needing to be alone? Check. Making life sh!tty for those around you because you're so high strung? Check.

This whole thread has made me feel much more normal, especially this, which is just such a hilarious and strange visual image... Hey, everybody's do what they've got to do to make it through. No judgement here, brother.

JonRud":21f2xngd said:
We have a big stuffed dog behind the couch and for a key plays I lay on the dog and kind of peer over the couch so I can see 30% of the TV.
Here's to all of us absurd stressbuckets :thirishdrinkers:

HawkGA

Reaction score
Throwdown":2bni5gho said:

I used to be the same way. Now I don't have cable and don't watch the games. Following online can be maddening waiting for updates but it can also be nice because it's easier to forget about it and just find out the score.

Super Bowl XL was really a cathartic moment for me. I realized having my mood that affected by something I didn't control wasn't healthy. I still love the Hawks and watch and listen when I get the opportunity, but thankfully the opportunities don't come along that often so I'm forced to limit my exposure.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The "needing to be alone" one is funny. I hate being in big groups to watch games, because most people aren't as smart as me (not you guys...other people...) and I hate having to explain things that aren't going well. I mean, we've all heard "Why do they keep trying to run it up the middle, they should go to the outside where it's open!" Ugh.... Although it's worth it when Lynch scores on an inside zone and I pipe up with "I hate those plays up the middle, they're so stupid and never work"

I will watch with my wife, a good friend, or my dad voluntarily. Otherwise it's due to obligation. Not because I don't like anyone else, it's just difficult at times when things don't go well and I know why, but no one else has a clue.

My wife keeps me even keeled for the most part, my friend and I love to drink, talk ish and laugh about everything, and my Dad is awesome. I remember being a kid, watching football and asking the above "Why do they keep running it up the middle?" His response was simply "....they just like to try different things...." because he knew it wasn't worth explaining at that point. He's my inspiration for game-watching now :lol:

/pedestal