Surprise cuts?

seabowl

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":35cu8xoy said:
I think Marsh is going to surprise doubters this season.

Last year was really his rookie season so realistically he was learning and getting experience.

The Seahawks didnt really do him any favors trying to beef him up 270 his rookie training camp. And he then dropped down to 255-260.

Now, hes admittedly down to 245 but from what ive seen keeping tabs on his instagram, hes in the best shape ive seen him, looks stronger, athleticism also

I have been hearing people defend Marsh since pre season last year. During that time I posted something about not seeing what others are seeing in him but got few to agree. The guy gets pushed around no matter his weight and although he gets "close" to making a play he very rarely does. Big time bubble player in my eyes at least.

Jville

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ze8c7lx said:
I think Marsh is going to surprise doubters this season.

Last year was really his rookie season so realistically he was learning and getting experience.

The Seahawks didnt really do him any favors trying to beef him up 270 his rookie training camp. And he then dropped down to 255-260.

Now, hes admittedly down to 245 but from what ive seen keeping tabs on his instagram, hes in the best shape ive seen him, looks stronger, athleticism also

I have similar expectations. Marsh saw only 78 snaps in an injury plagued 2014. He has been something of a hybrid looking for a best playing weight and role.

Last preseason he was disruptive but tended to get caught up in the wash and struggle to finish with a tackle. However, during the regular season he made clear progress with improved tackling.

Some of his special teams tackles in December were eye popping. With the momentum he was building toward the end of last year, I expect his development to pop in 2016. Although ..... how the team chooses to deploy him in 2016 will be a governing influence.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1qjxcvd7 said:
Every year there are a few guys who look poised to make the 53 but end up just falling outside the cut. Here are some guys I think won't be with us through 2016.

1. Tharold Simon, someone with great potential who just can't seem to stay on the field. With Sherman, Lane, Burley and Shead being as good as locked it, I don't think Simon will win one of the two remaining spots. I personally think those will go to Tye Smith and Stanley Jean Baptiste.

2. Cassius Marsh, a personal favorite of mine but I don't really see much of a role left for him. At LEO we now have Avril, Clark and Clemons. I also doubt he'll be able to lock down a spot as a pure LB as I don't trust his coverage skills enough for that.

3. Jordan Hill, with the addittion of a couple of very promising DTs in Reed, Jefferson and Bryant he might just not make the cut this year after a disappointing 2015.

4. Justin Britt, with his move to center it seems like he's truely out of the G/T conversation now. With Lewis, Hunt and Sokoli I think we have more than enough talent at the position (experience, technicality and athleticism respectively). I don't think there will be a spot for him come september, not even as swing tackle as that job will most likely go to Sowell.

5. Paul Richardson, even though I'm still optimistic about his potential it might be the time for us to move on. Just like Simon he's way too injury prone and in a year where I think we're only going to keep 5 WRs he might just miss out.

You guys got anyone who you think will fall short or disagree with one of my picks? Feel free to speak your minds.

Some of us got this one much closer than the OP.

OP
OP
Overseasfan

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2wc0fgvn said:
Overseasfan":2wc0fgvn said:
Every year there are a few guys who look poised to make the 53 but end up just falling outside the cut. Here are some guys I think won't be with us through 2016.

1. Tharold Simon, someone with great potential who just can't seem to stay on the field. With Sherman, Lane, Burley and Shead being as good as locked it, I don't think Simon will win one of the two remaining spots. I personally think those will go to Tye Smith and Stanley Jean Baptiste.

2. Cassius Marsh, a personal favorite of mine but I don't really see much of a role left for him. At LEO we now have Avril, Clark and Clemons. I also doubt he'll be able to lock down a spot as a pure LB as I don't trust his coverage skills enough for that.

3. Jordan Hill, with the addittion of a couple of very promising DTs in Reed, Jefferson and Bryant he might just not make the cut this year after a disappointing 2015.

4. Justin Britt, with his move to center it seems like he's truely out of the G/T conversation now. With Lewis, Hunt and Sokoli I think we have more than enough talent at the position (experience, technicality and athleticism respectively). I don't think there will be a spot for him come september, not even as swing tackle as that job will most likely go to Sowell.

5. Paul Richardson, even though I'm still optimistic about his potential it might be the time for us to move on. Just like Simon he's way too injury prone and in a year where I think we're only going to keep 5 WRs he might just miss out.

You guys got anyone who you think will fall short or disagree with one of my picks? Feel free to speak your minds.

Some of us got this one much closer than the OP.

Was right on Hill and that's it. Seems I have a couple of years to go before I can replace John Schneider.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It was a good discussion, and I don't think even Schneider can reliably predict the 53 as early as May. Great post.

Why someone would sort through the thousands of ancient posts and resurrect this particular one is curious. But it's always fun to see how one did. Wish I would have jumped in on this post so that I could pound my chest, or maybe just make excuses about my sorry football knowledge. :p

Ozzy

Reaction score
Even though I disagreed with most of the list especially Richardson it was a well thought out list for sure. It's hard to predict the future. I thought Britt would be cut for sure and didn't see him taking to the center position so well this early.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Simon should have been cut....I don't think he lasts half the season anyway without being placed on IR so pretty much the same thing!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
C mike and Britt really surprised many around here. The Marsh and Richardson critics are going to have to wait a bit longer as both look to be key pieces of this team. I wouldn't be to surprised to see Simon cut or traded in the next few weeks and Alex Collins cut if Rawls and Mike start racking up the yards. Pope's special contributions might be worth it at that point.