Take the win but that fake punt was horrible play calling

Bobblehead

Reaction score
It's not about running up the score, it's how you run up the score. When a more talented team like the Hawks have to resort to trickery and sorcery to put away a team, that has struggled all season, with a rookie possible bust qb, with a, just fired coach, and on a short week, well it just reeks of, well, the Rams. Just play the game, kick their ass and show the world you can do it without gimmicks. Really, it's much more satisfying in the long run.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Disagree. The fake punt play should be called at least once or twice in every game henceforth....

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Great discussion.

Valid points made on both sides of this particular coin.

A win next week will put this fake punt call, (a bad/silly call IMO) behind us.

And hopefully we'll all be celebrating another Hawks win.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This is only even a conversation because of how far the play went. If it had gone 10 yards for a first down no one would be questioning it.

There is a reason the coaches watch film and this is a perfect example of that. This looked to me like an obvious decision. Your game tape shows you that the Rams leave the center of the field wide open. If your center and guards can move the middle defenders outward this should be an easy 1st down and keeps the chains and clock moving. It just happened to work so perfect Jon nearly took it to the house,

Another thing though, if the Rams aren't showing that alignment we don't call it. But if they are going to be ignorant enough to leave the field wide open then we would be the ignorant ones if we don't take advantage of it.

I don't think this has anything to do with running up the score (especially since we didn't score again after) or rubbing salt in a wound. No matter what the score winning or losing, If you see that easy of a first down you take it and any extra yards too.

What if on third down they handed it to Rawls who goes 80 yards untouched for a TD. Should he lay down at the 1 so we don't run up the score? Or maybe we shouldn't call running plays because they eat up the clock and don't give the opponent a fair chance to make a come back.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i liked the idea of "practicing" trick plays late in games where you have a big lead because there's only so much real playing time you get in games that count. You can practice them all you want throughout the week but it doesn't compare to an actual game. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, though. Ala NFC title game against GB. Jon Ryan should have his number retired, nah, actually they should hang a portrait of him next to the NFC champs 2014 banner.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
from
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... th-quarter
---
"We had a tremendous preparation for an opportunity to take what we knew could be like a turnover in the game," Carroll said. "If we could get the opportunity, we would go for it. It didn’t matter when it happened. We were looking for it the whole night. The opportunity that we took, it gave us a chance to hold on to the football and not give them even the chance to get the ball back. What more could I do to help my team?

"How it gets perceived and all, that’s what you guys get to talk about when you want to, and I think it’s a waste of energy, but I understand it. I don’t expect that you can see it from our perspective. I thought it was an excellent demonstration of planning and prep and execution. It worked perfectly, except for the end of it was terrible. But that allowed us to keep the football, and it didn’t have anything to do with something with the score or anything. Just trying to finish the game as well as we could, in command of it as we were."

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nash72":1781t4yi said:
thegreeninyoureye":1781t4yi said:
nash72":1781t4yi said:
It was a jerk call. There's 6 minutes left and up by 21 points and fake punts are being called? Kick the ball and show some dignity. The only thing that play accomplished was getting Ryan hurt and giving the Rams a reason to take cheap shots. Not needed.
Sorry but I dont agree what if Austin takes it to the house. 5 minutes left down by 14 you never know what could happen. We were not moving the ball on the ground at all. I have seen teams come back from that.

Come on. The horse was dead. No need to keep beating it. If you think the Rams could have scored 14 more points in 5 minutes when they couldnt score all game, I dont know what to say to you.
There have been freak plays that have turned games around....Should he have punted the ball and Austin runs it back for a TD, then the momentum goes kaput, then what?, we snivel about Pete not putting the game away when he had the chance?
Pete made the call, so it was the right call, so glad he's the Head Coach and not some of the naysayers in here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
White Devil":zyjsm4td said:
Sgt. Largent":zyjsm4td said:
White Devil":zyjsm4td said:
Football isn't for snowflakes.

But kickers are snowflakes, as we found out last night with Ryan looking like a hobo running from the cops with a loaf of bread in his hand.

If we were only up 13-3? I'm down for a fake punt to try and ice the game. But 24-3 with 5 minutes? That's just a dumb unnecessary play call.

The Ginja Ninja isn't a snowflake. He should have slid, but I think for a split second he thought he had a chance to take it to the house. That's why he's awesome! People need to remember that was a kicking ball, which as Tony Romo knows, are pretty damn slick.

The call was to get the first down and chew up some more clock. If the designed play was for Ryan to get concussed while trying to score a TD while up 24-3, then I'd have a problem with it.

You wanna know what unnecessary dumb play calls look like?

Look at the 2 running plays to close out the first half. Nobody was blocking. There was nothing that could have come from those 2 idiotic run plays other than a possible injury to Rawls.

The fact that nobody is going off about those plays shows me it's not about play call situation, but the perception that it was done maliciously to make the Rams look bad. It wasn't. It was to keep the D from unnecessary plays, to run the clock, to keep possession. That's it. You guys think the Patriots wouldn't do that? That's what winning looks like. Sometimes it comes across kinda dicky, but that's what separates pro athletes from the rest of us.
100% Agree, I'd agree even more if it were even possible. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nash72

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":15egkcgu said:
from
---
"We had a tremendous preparation for an opportunity to take what we knew could be like a turnover in the game," Carroll said. "If we could get the opportunity, we would go for it. It didn’t matter when it happened. We were looking for it the whole night. The opportunity that we took, it gave us a chance to hold on to the football and not give them even the chance to get the ball back. What more could I do to help my team?

"How it gets perceived and all, that’s what you guys get to talk about when you want to, and I think it’s a waste of energy, but I understand it. I don’t expect that you can see it from our perspective. I thought it was an excellent demonstration of planning and prep and execution. It worked perfectly, except for the end of it was terrible. But that allowed us to keep the football, and it didn’t have anything to do with something with the score or anything. Just trying to finish the game as well as we could, in command of it as we were."

Old Pete having to explain himself once again. That alone should tell you what people think of that play. It was nothing more than rubbing salt in the wound. Oh well, its over now and theres two more games to go before playoffs.

Jville

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":h9zou769 said:
from
---

For me, that addresses so much of the second guessing and speculation the team is subjected to. Pete says it using such civil and respectful language. Pete Carroll is indeed special. These are the best of times. :2thumbs:

Foghawk

Reaction score
At the end of the day I watch football to be entertained, and the play was entertaining to me.

:2thumbs:

capncrunch

Reaction score
I liked the call. Maybe John should practice sliding and get a bit of schooling. I like us to do that once in a while. Next time he'll have to learn to avoid the hit. A first down is always a good thing. Run out the clock.

HawkGA

Reaction score
It was basically protecting the defense from having to go back out. Totally okay with the call. Isn't it kind of the definition of stepping on the jugular people talk about wanting?

slateman77

Reaction score
Running up the score...?? AYFKM...Totally right call..110 %...Can't believe anyone could think otherwise..
\

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1ysm3v53 said:
https://youtu.be/qZKFuYExi_I

Interesting thing watching this video. When Ryan was down Marsh came over and rolled him over a bit to see if he was okay. When the Docs came running off they yanked Marsh off to check Ryan out. What makes this interesting is you recall when Ricardo Lockette got knocked out at Dallas he emphasized how if any player came over and tried to roll him over or help him up he probably would have died due to the nature of his injury. I wonder if they will get reemphasized education on things like this after what Marsh did.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":una8aiq2 said:
LeftHandSmoke":una8aiq2 said:
https://youtu.be/qZKFuYExi_I

Interesting thing watching this video. When Ryan was down Marsh came over and rolled him over a bit to see if he was okay. When the Docs came running off they yanked Marsh off to check Ryan out. What makes this interesting is you recall when Ricardo Lockette got knocked out at Dallas he emphasized how if any player came over and tried to roll him over or help him up he probably would have died due to the nature of his injury. I wonder if they will get reemphasized education on things like this after what Marsh did.
Yes, I wondered too if anyone besides a doc should have touched him, thanks for pointing that out.