Tell me about your college team

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":tkuu030n said:
USC.

Finally, their cupboard isn't bare. For the first time in 5 years, USC has depth at every position. Their biggest question entering the year revolves with their pass rush, that was abysmal last season.. even with Leonard Williams anchoring the middle of the line. Now he's gone, so it will be interesting to see who can pick up the slack.

This team is loaded with talent though, the only question is if they can put it all together. A year ago they lost 3 games they shouldn't have (BC, ASU, Utah) and it seems like USC's M.O. is always to punt away wins they should not. Sark also doesn't have the best reputation for such things.

That said.. Sark has also never had a roster this talented.

Best case prediction: Pac-12 champs, playoff team (0-1 losses)
Worst case prediction: Expectations crumble them like the 2012 USC team and they win 7-8 games

I'll go with 11-2 with a Pac-12 championship win over Oregon :th2thumbs:

As long as Sark is at SC, they will never trully live up to the talent. I just hope Haden is as dumb as he apears, and never gets smart enough to hire Kris Richard. That man would kill it at SC. It would be Pete II.

cover-2

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2hyhgb3a said:
I'm having a real hard time getting excited for the NFL season this year. Havnt even watched the first two Seahawk preseason games, i'm not really even sure why. But I can't wait for college football to start.

Tell me about your favorite team.

Give me your prediction, of what type of season they're going to have. Your teams stud players. A breakout/freshman player or two to keep an eye on. And anything else you think we should know.

My team of course is the Ducks. I think they're going to be really good again IF Vernon Adams stays healthy and plays like I think he's capable of. The team overall is more talented, and deep, then last years team but of course we no longer have Mariota running the show. If Adams is the real thing I think we can be right back in the playoff conversation (I expect the pac 12 title to come down to Oregon and USC). If he gets hurt, or struggles, i could see the Ducks losing 3 or 4 games to USC, Michigan State, Arizona State and Stanford.

A couple of studs to keep an eye on are RB Royce Freeman and DE Defforest Buckner (who I think will be a 1st round pick next year). Also they get their best WR Bralon Addison back, after missing all of last season. Skill positions on offense are absolutely loaded with depth.

A few new comers are Vernon Adams of course. True freshman Canton Kaumualate on the d'line. And Tony Brooks James who will be a redshirt freshman and will be the 2nd running back now that Thomas Tyner is out for the season. Brooks James reminds a lot of people of Lamichael James. Also keep an eye out for true freshman RB/WR's Taj Griffin and Kirk Merritt. Incredibly explosive play makers.

Can't wait for it to kick off. And for that 2nd week game against Michigan State.

I like Buckner a lot, he should easily be a top-20 pick in the 1st round of the draft. But the one Oregon draft eligible player I am most intrigued with is their LT Tyler Johnstone. If Johnstone can stay healthy this year he could be a guy the Seahawks target in the late 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round of the draft.
JNM2UHYzBm2bf5PHjUVvFpoYgw300h300c0pid1

dino26

Reaction score
Auburn Tigers I reckon they win the SEC this year and make the playoffs

randomation

Reaction score
Rat":36egll4b said:
I'm a Buckeye fan. Life is good right now.

Can we borrow one of your qbs watching Stave start again might make me physically ill

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CPHawk":1p1fc3fm said:
As long as Sark is at SC, they will never trully live up to the talent. I just hope Haden is as dumb as he apears, and never gets smart enough to hire Kris Richard. That man would kill it at SC. It would be Pete II.

Let me guess... Husky fan?

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3o51o4nn said:
USC.

Finally, their cupboard isn't bare. For the first time in 5 years, USC has depth at every position. Their biggest question entering the year revolves with their pass rush, that was abysmal last season.. even with Leonard Williams anchoring the middle of the line. Now he's gone, so it will be interesting to see who can pick up the slack.

This team is loaded with talent though, the only question is if they can put it all together. A year ago they lost 3 games they shouldn't have (BC, ASU, Utah) and it seems like USC's M.O. is always to punt away wins they should not. Sark also doesn't have the best reputation for such things.

That said.. Sark has also never had a roster this talented.

Best case prediction: Pac-12 champs, playoff team (0-1 losses)
Worst case prediction: Expectations crumble them like the 2012 USC team and they win 7-8 games

I'll go with 11-2 with a Pac-12 championship win over Oregon :th2thumbs:

As an SC alum, I was less than enthusiastic about the Sark hire, even more so considering his recent actions. That being said, I hope they can win despite him, but find an excuse to usher him out the door soon.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":39ht4rbu said:
CPHawk":39ht4rbu said:

Husky fans watched Sark coach for several years. The players barely, if it all, improved from year to year. Despite all the NFL talent, mediocrity was the best he could manage out of them. It was also frustrating to watch UW throw the ball so often when running was their obvious strength for at least a couple of his seasons there. And don't get me started on the defense...yeah he wasn't the coordinator but he's still the head coach who oversees and is responsible for the entire team.

Maybe he's changed...?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3qwkxwad said:
Hasselbeck":3qwkxwad said:
CPHawk":3qwkxwad said:

Husky fans watched Sark coach for several years. The players barely, if it all, improved from year to year. Despite all the NFL talent, mediocrity was the best he could manage out of them. It was also frustrating to watch UW throw the ball so often when running was their obvious strength for at least a couple of his seasons there. And don't get me started on the defense...yeah he wasn't the coordinator but he's still the head coach who oversees and is responsible for the entire team.

Maybe he's changed...?

They went from 0 wins to 9. I don't know what Husky fans expected? It's not 1991 anymore.. Washington winning 7-9 games a year is probably the peak of that mountain top for awhile.

Not saying Sark is like Urban Meyer, but he's a better coach than a lot of Husky fans give him credit for, and if not for two complete brain farts (ASU hail mary, Utah game where a WR stepped out of bounds a yard short of the first down on a 4th and short) last season he would have had USC at 11-2 on the year -- with a very bare roster.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3gyu0sho said:
fenderbender123":3gyu0sho said:
Hasselbeck":3gyu0sho said:
CPHawk":3gyu0sho said:

Maybe he's changed...?

Not saying Sark is like Urban Meyer, but he's a better coach than a lot of Husky fans give him credit for

No, he's not.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Sark is who he is. A creative coach that recruits the skill positions well that will always have winning teams but will never win a National Title. He made a bad initial hire at defensive coordinator, took over a team with a few good young players but no depth whatsoever and instantly made them competitive. That said, the things he struggled with in 2009 when he took over, end of game management and attention to detail, is something he still struggles with today and I think that will always hold him back.

I also understand its natural for fans to take a dump on the old coach to make them feel better about the new coach, but if you consider where the UW program was when he took over, and where it was when he left, he did a pretty solid job.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":264iqi67 said:
CPHawk":264iqi67 said:

Haha, no sir. That's like me asking you, if you're a UCLA or Notre Dame fan.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sark is never going to win until he gets his identity back. The one thing he does better than almost everybody else is call plays. He had entire games of absolute genius. Why on earth he would throw that all away to run a hurry-up spread that I know he doesn't believe in makes no sense to me. You're not going to beat Oregon by trying to be them.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":3i5ie6f2 said:
Sark is never going to win until he gets his identity back. The one thing he does better than almost everybody else is call plays. He had entire games of absolute genius. Why on earth he would throw that all away to run a hurry-up spread that I know he doesn't believe in makes no sense to me. You're not going to beat Oregon by trying to be them.

That's one thing I definitely agree with. He's a brilliant play-caller. If the offense struggles to get rolling early, wouldn't surprise me at all to see him resume that.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
I'm aving a difficult time getting the pulse of how my Nebraska Cornhuskers will be this year. With the Riley hiring, I've run the gauntlet, from pessimism, to guarded optimism, to real excitement, and now back to pessimism. Admittedly, I haven't followed them as closely as I have in years past, but this is what I got.

Key/Best Players
DT Maliek Collins: Everyone around here keeps talking about him. He had a solid year last season, flashing some very nice athleticism, but in my opinion was pretty inconsistent. Word from people who've seen practice are saying he's been pretty much unblockable, saying he's a lock 1st rounder and the best we've had since Suh. I think the talent is there, but we'll see.

S Nathan Gerry: One of my favorite players, mainly because I predicted he would be a real nice player well before a lot of people (dang I'm smart ;) ). Had a breakout season last year and only looks to be getting better. Great size (6'2" 225 lbs) and athleticism (South Dakota 100 m record @ 10.4, pretty much broke a combine in HS). I want to see him play faster with more assertiveness, but I would bank on him having a very good year.

WR/RS De'Mornay Pierson-El: Breakout true frosh from last year. Was amazing in the return game and really came on strong as a receiving threat late in the year. Signs point to Riley using him in a Quiz Rodgers/Percy Harvin role (i.e. jet sweeps, quick game etc.) which could be a nice boost for an offense in transition. Sadly, he'll be out until midseason with a injury.

Players Who Need To Step Up
QB Tommy Armstrong: It really starts and ends here. Played okay last year, but needs to take the next step for this team to go anywhere. Has a lot of the tools you look for in a QB (size, strong arm, good athleticism), but has been very inconsistent with his decision making and accuracy, and it remains to be seen how he'll fit in a different offense. Reports from insiders say he's made great strides, but that means nothing until the real bullets start flying.

RB Terrelle Newby: Lost Ameer Abdullah who pretty much propped our O up all of last year. Newby's got talent, but you can't replace AA. He's the solid #1 right now, but may see a RB by committee as the year goes on.

Entire OL: For a school that has traditionally pumped out great OL ("The Pipeline"?), they've been pretty meh for about 10 years now. Have shown flashes the past couple years, but very inconsistent. Lots of talented young guys in this group.

LB Michael Rose-Ivey: linebacker has been a spot we've struggled with since losing Lavonte David (duh). MRI did some good things as a freshman, but missed all of last year with an injury. His return could mean big things for our run D.

My Darkhorse & A FR to Watch
CB Daniel Davie: Local kid with great size and athleticism. Had a breakout year last year and if he takes the next step could be a real intriguing NFL prospect. Have high hopes for him.

LB Dedrick Young: A manchild of a true freshman who has blown the coaches away since day 1. Will begin the season as a starter. Could be a really good one.

Prediction
Like I said, I'm having a hard time predicting how the skers will be this year.

Best Case Scenario: (12-1; Win the B1G West) Coach Riley provides some much needed stability allowing a team that is not lacking in talent to play at a more consistent level week in and week out. Tommy Armstrong steps up and serves as the perfect point man, distributing to a very good WR group and making the occasional play with his legs. A talented defense gels early.

Worst Case Scenario: (7-5) Callahan 2.0. Mike Riley's scheme and philosophy tries to fit a square peg in a round hole. Armstrong really struggles in a pro-style oriented system. Defense remains inconsistent, and continues to struggle to stop the run.

My Prediction: 9-3. Not great but not bad. Lose to MSU, either Wiscy or Minn, and one more.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Husker,

You just need a few more like Rex Burkhead!

Watched him from 8th grade on. Really impressive kid, now man!

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1jv901co said:
TEXAS A&M. Gig Em Aggies!!!!

Do you get butt hurt about the 12th man stuff like every other aTm fan/grad I have ever met?

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":2ud16fx3 said:
Husker,

You just need a few more like Rex Burkhead!

Watched him from 8th grade on. Really impressive kid, now man!
That's very cool! Rex is easily one of my top 2 or 3 favorite players ever for Nebraska, and I think that sentiment is shared by many other fans as well. He was a great player and an even better person. It's too bad he had those injuries as a senior, because when he was primed for a big year. Glad the Bengals are finally catching on that his skills are too good to keep on the bench. Also, funnily enough, many around here refer to Nate Gerry as "Defense Rex", so there's one at least.