Tharold Simon will be better than Richard Sherman

Pie Romania

Reaction score
When Simon was healthy and played on the outside, he showed A LOT of promise. As others have mentioned, he got torched by Brady and Edelman/Amendola? because they're smaller, shifty slot receivers and was forced into that position due to Burley being inactive. Couple that with Avril going down and our pass-rush disappearing and it was the perfect combination for the Pats to exploit. Simon still has a lot of learning left to do and needs to stay healthy, but if he can stay on the field and is motivated by the idea of a nice 2nd contract, I will be ecstatic. The talent and physical traits are absolutely there. I think too many people focus on the SB performance when the real issue with Simon has been his health/lack of playing time to improve his craft and utilize those physical tools.

Here's hoping he's highly motivated, plays like a #1 corner, is a key contributor to another SB championship, and nets us a high compensatory pick in the draft after next (although teams will likely shy away from paying big bucks for any corner on the Hawks not named Richard Sherman).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
daveyoung52":nm2skakr said:
Agree completely, people seem to forget this, and he had a seperated shoulder.Rooting for youTharold.
If he had a seperated shoulder he shouldn't have been playing, and that's the coach's mistake.

Having a seperated shoulder has nothing to do with him being out of position, most people run with their legs and feet not their shoulders.
:)

I think this is a make or break year for him.
I have seen nothing of Simon in games that has been impressive so far, hopefully that changes this season.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Before Simon separated his shoulder in 2014, he was leading all corners in the NFL in lowest QB rating allowed and coverage snap per reception. Sherman is right that the potential is there with Simon, but injuries (and, at times, overaggressiveness) have hampered his development. Will he ever fully reach that potential? History says it is unlikely.

original poster

Reaction score
I have the upmost confidence Simon will be playing RCB this year with Lane in the slot.

I have a bet with Jeremy Lane on this as well for a signed jersey so I hope I'm not wrong!

hawk45

Reaction score
That seems a particularly unhelpful comment by Sherman. Sherman is a smart man, so I guess if he thinks Simon needs ego-stroking I'll adopt a wait-and-see attitude, but geez.

The irony meter starts smoking at Simon's moniker "humble thug." His body language on the field of crying to refs or declaring a catch to be out of bounds when it's a foot in-bounds is cringe-inducing.

Simon doesn't appear to suffer from too little little confidence. I'd rather hear Simon getting harsh doses of reality from teammates instead of bouquets.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
kobebryant":ydzmyw1x said:
I've really liked what I've seen of Tharold when he's been played as a boundary corner - long, smooth, and aggressive.

The Super Bowl was an unfortunate situation where he was tasked with sticking with Edelman and Amendola on option routes - a very very tough ask of any long bodied CB, Sherm/Peterson/Cromartie included. The Jeremy Lane injury combined with not dressing Marcus Burley was game changing.

I think if Lane and to a lesser extend Avril dont get injured the Seahawks win in a blowout. We were missing Lane for 3 quarters and Avril for some of the 3rd and all of the 4th. Not to even mention Kams injured knee, Shermans injured elbow and Earls dislocated shoulder that all 3 played with. Just goes to show you how much better we were than the Patriots with all of that going on against Brady

OH and even Simon was playing with an inury and then Burley wasnt active....So many injuries...

hawknation2016

Reaction score
hawk45":3a9h6ip9 said:
That seems a particularly unhelpful comment by Sherman. Sherman is a smart man, so I guess if he thinks Simon needs ego-stroking I'll adopt a wait-and-see attitude, but geez.

The irony meter starts smoking at Simon's moniker "humble thug." His body language on the field of crying to refs or declaring a catch to be out of bounds when it's a foot in-bounds is cringe-inducing.

Simon doesn't appear to suffer from too little little confidence. I'd rather hear Simon getting harsh doses of reality from teammates instead of bouquets.

Sherman has the mentality of a coach, and he has learned from one of the best in the business - Pete Carroll.

Part of Carroll's philosophy is about positive thinking, visualization, and self actualization. Believing Simon will reach his potential increases his chances of doing so.

razor150

Reaction score
If Tharold Simon can stay healthy and prove Sherman right I would be ecstatic.

kearly

Reaction score
It's too soon to hype Simon. But, he has the talent for sure, and he should be motivated with it being a contract year. Look at the money Josh Norman just got with one good year out of the blue.

I just hope Simon can do what he does without committing an automatic 1st down penalty every 10th play.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
original poster":ip2k4el7 said:
I have the upmost confidence Simon will be playing RCB this year with Lane in the slot.

I have a bet with Jeremy Lane on this as well for a signed jersey so I hope I'm not wrong!

I know it's awfully early still, but Shead has been at that spot all of TC so far.

hawk45

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2tq3mpiu said:
Part of Carroll's philosophy is about positive thinking, visualization, and self actualization. Believing Simon will reach his potential increases his chances of doing so.

The first sentence we all agree on. The second sentence is highly questionable, unless we're saying that all players in all situations will respond better to positive stimuli vs. negative stimuli. That is quite clearly untrue as we have countless examples of players who got the ra-ra and underwhelmed only to perform well when under fear of losing a job (or not getting a big FA contract, being in the last year of their current deal).

Again, I'll trust Sherm, but if there was ever a guy who by external appearances looked like he needed a boot in the ass instead of a love caress it'd be Simon.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":29oqozih said:
It's too soon to hype Simon. But, he has the talent for sure, and he should be motivated with it being a contract year. Look at the money Josh Norman just got with one good year out of the blue.

I just hope Simon can do what he does without committing an automatic 1st down penalty every 10th play.

This^^^^

I don't forget how well he's played on the outside, and can fully appreciate him being out of his element with slot receivers (Pete even said this), but the penalty machine part of his game has got to stop.

original poster

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2xbeft9c said:
original poster":2xbeft9c said:

I know it's awfully early still, but Shead has been at that spot all of TC so far.

Yeah the bet was more Lane NOT at RCB not necessarily Simon at RCB, it could be Shead, Smith etc etc as long as it isn't Lane playing outside the bet is mine :)

McGruff

Reaction score
original poster":rl3laxbe said:
HawKnPeppa":rl3laxbe said:
original poster":rl3laxbe said:

Yeah the bet was more Lane NOT at RCB not necessarily Simon at RCB, it could be Shead, Smith etc etc as long as it isn't Lane playing outside the bet is mine :)

I think that is going to be a complicated bet. I think Lane will be the starting RCB and the starting nickel back, with someone else playing outside in spread sets. So whether you win or lose will largely depend on what formation the Hawks are playing against.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":1f5k65qv said:
Don't you actually have to play in games to be good?

And when he has played in games, he hasn't been good.
You'd have said the same about Sherman before Sherman became a starter. He rode the pine for a while.

I'm not crowning Simon with anything; I'm just sayin'.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
original poster":jptczsx2 said:
HawKnPeppa":jptczsx2 said:
original poster":jptczsx2 said:

How'd you ever get the chance to make this bet? I hope you get that jersey by the way.

original poster

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":bpy40pd4 said:
original poster":bpy40pd4 said:
HawKnPeppa":bpy40pd4 said:
original poster":bpy40pd4 said:

How'd you ever get the chance to make this bet? I hope you get that jersey by the way.

Jeremy Lane picked up one of my tweets and asked if I wanted a bet, I agreed!