Tharold Simon will be better than Richard Sherman

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3g9cylyx said:
Before Simon separated his shoulder in 2014, he was leading all corners in the NFL in lowest QB rating allowed and coverage snap per reception. Sherman is right that the potential is there with Simon, but injuries (and, at times, overaggressiveness) have hampered his development. Will he ever fully reach that potential? History says it is unlikely.
Then XLIX happened. His "QB rating allowed" sucked when it counted.
Sorry to be blunt, but that's a fact.

Like I addressed previously, shoulder issues were not the reason he was out of position most of XLIX.

Hopefully after 4 years his potential will finally be realized, and that would be great for the Hawks because that would make them a much better team if that happened......... though I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3u543zqq said:
hawknation2016":3u543zqq said:
Before Simon separated his shoulder in 2014, he was leading all corners in the NFL in lowest QB rating allowed and coverage snap per reception. Sherman is right that the potential is there with Simon, but injuries (and, at times, overaggressiveness) have hampered his development. Will he ever fully reach that potential? History says it is unlikely.

Like I addressed previously, shoulder issues were not the reason he was out of position most of XLIX.

Hopefully after 4 years his potential will finally be realized, and that would be great for the Hawks because that would make them a much better team if that happened......... though I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Agreed about the Shoulder not being the issue with position, the position was, he was not a slot CB he had played the edge, limited reps there and being injured compounded this issue, he looked out of place and uncomfortable because he was. Why I think as others that Burley would have been a better activation.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":3da9jpbx said:
Sports Hernia":3da9jpbx said:
hawknation2016":3da9jpbx said:

Agreed about the Shoulder not being the issue with position, the position was, he was not a slot CB he had played the edge, limited reps there and being injured compounded this issue, he looked out of place and uncomfortable because he was. Why I think as others that Burley would have been a better activation.
Agree with most of that. It's still puzzling to me that Burley was a semi-healthy scratch over an injured Simon with limited playing time.

Wasn't the best day for our coaching staff either IMHO.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ddns60c said:
Agree with most of that. It's still puzzling to me that Burley was a semi-healthy scratch over an injured Simon with limited playing time.

Wasn't the best day for our coaching staff either IMHO.

Simon was better on the outside and you had Sherman's arm to worry about. Lane was healthy going into the game. It made sense at the time.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think Edelman is as talented as his production, but Edelman's quickness and chemistry with Brady makes him a brutal matchup for a Browner / Simon type of corner. Even if Simon were healthy that would have been a key matchup for the Patriots.

SImon never should have been the guy to cover him, but injuries essentially forced him into that situation.

Hustle_Wilson

Reaction score
What also made it baffling not to dress Burley was having all 3 TE's active...and none playing a role in the offense.

Cooper freaking Helfet was active in the Super Bowl over Marcus Burley. Against a Pats team that zeroes in on your weakness. More or less conceded the run game to pass 50 times.

seabowl

Reaction score
The only time in his career that Richard Sherman is at a loss for words. IMO I don't think Simon will ever "get it".

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Simon will never play up to Sherm's level because he clearly lacks Sherm's ability to make a play on the ball.

He's consistently close to the receiver but he's always more than an arm length away.... or so it seems.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":17wrjoop said:
Simon will never play up to Sherm's level because he clearly lacks Sherm's ability to make a play on the ball.

He's consistently close to the receiver but he's always more than an arm length away.... or so it seems.
Simon is so gifted yet his technique is inconsistent enough that it's frustrating. There is no need to maul receivers as frequently as he does given his length and athleticism.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":19aloyoh said:
onanygivensunday":19aloyoh said:

Simon is so gifted yet his technique is inconsistent enough that it's frustrating. There is no need to maul receivers as frequently as he does given his length and athleticism.

This is where it's vital that he stays healthy. This is all attributed to timing and reps.. something he hasn't had much of throughout his injury riddled career.

If he stays healthy, I'm confident he'll get to the point where he will be a consistent cover corner. But yeah, that PI yesterday was bad. He needs to cut that out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hustle_Wilson":1scfoxpr said:
What also made it baffling not to dress Burley was having all 3 TE's active...and none playing a role in the offense.

Cooper freaking Helfet was active in the Super Bowl over Marcus Burley. Against a Pats team that zeroes in on your weakness. More or less conceded the run game to pass 50 times.

How often do they only have 2 TE active?

They went with Simon over Burley because of Sherman only having one good arm. No one expected Lane to get a compound fracture and an ACL tear in the first quarter.