The end is nigh...

ptisme

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":zsuoautw said:
Sadly, nobodys going anywhere. Instead we'll continue to squander this opportunity of a talented roster and lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs as usual just to go into next season being fooled into thinking changes will be made to the Oline and offensive philosophy when in truth it will just be the same old continuation from the previous year. I'm not fooled anymore. I realize where this team is headed and its a bummer.
Welcome to the world of having NFL success and then watching your roster and coaches get poached by other teams... This is what I tried telling you guys was going to happen a few years back when you kept telling me my team was "soft"

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
It's not happening for the same reason he gave in January -- some fans just don't know what they're talking about. No further example is needed than this knee-jerk post.

Look, I have history on my side when it comes to detailing how our offense morphs from uninspiring to dazzling, usually in conjunction with a 6 or 7 game winning streak that sets the Hawks up for the playoffs. Book it, it will happen again this season.

Our coaching staff is one of the finest in the NFL. They find solutions by working together. The suggestion of the OP is one that a loser or a modern day never-were would use. Teams like Cleveland and Washington come to mind. That's not us ... and for good reason.

I also get that a lot of you get easily frustrated and are grasping for answers. The easy and less-complicated target is the coach. That kind of projection has happened for years. Look at New England's fanbase now. Many have gone on social media and called for the firing of Josh McDaniels. That's insane. But it's happening. And that's my correlation here.

I always say that the job of a coach is to put players in the most advantageous position to succeed and win. So for a staff that's produced wins about 70 percent of the time over the last 5 years, I have to say they're doing their jobs and doing it well. One season-opening game on the road does not tarnish that. The philosophy and on-field results will once again meld for a long and productive stanza, we'll hit another rare underachieving blip of a game or two like all teams, even the successful ones, go through and there will inevitably be another reactionary post like this one calling for dismissals. It goes with the territory and it's been happening for years.

Thankfully, those running the organization have a term for it: Outside Noise. And that label doesn't arise from arrogance, rather it's just counterproductive to their mission, which is to win football games.

cymatica

Reaction score
This is 100% not a knee jerk reaction. Everyone has been watching the o-line deteriorate, with the same story year in and out. We were told they learned their lesson up front but they obviously didn't. Then on top of that, after a full offseason to scheme some sort of offense around the sorry line, what do they do? Roll out the same garbage playcalls, actually may have been worse. Greenbay went all in on the hand we always show.

Everyone is so reactionary bacause we all held our breath and hoped they finally started to fix that disaster.

I'm sorry but the same OC, line coach, head coach, QB combo for 5 years and they can't figure out how to move the chains?

GeekHawk

Reaction score
ptisme":22jwgz2v said:
pittpnthrs":22jwgz2v said:
Sadly, nobodys going anywhere. Instead we'll continue to squander this opportunity of a talented roster and lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs as usual just to go into next season being fooled into thinking changes will be made to the Oline and offensive philosophy when in truth it will just be the same old continuation from the previous year. I'm not fooled anymore. I realize where this team is headed and its a bummer.
Welcome to the world of having NFL success and then watching your roster and coaches get poached by other teams... This is what I tried telling you guys was going to happen a few years back when you kept telling me my team was "soft"

The problem is that the offensive-side coaches AREN'T getting poached. That's why we're stuck in hell with them.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
They've figured it out for the past 5 years. One season opener doesn't equate to that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The time for offensive coaching changes has come and gone this season. Carroll is too stubborn/loyal/blind to part ways with either Bevell or Cable unfortunately. Hell, he refuses to wear sunglasses during the game! Why?!

And, to be honest, making a coaching change after the season starts would be counterintuitive. If they were going to make a change, it needed to be last February. We'll just have to wait until after the season ends to have a hope this dream will come true.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The issues remain the same season after season after season. I don't disagree that the collective coaching staff is very good. In fact they all have their moments of real excellence. They are however slow starters.

There is still a disturbing inability to adjust quickly to adversity. The adjustments used to be quicker. There is this stubborn desire to to do things the personnel simply are incapable of doing. Against the Packers the O was awful with 5 three and outs.
One of course involved the extra bonus of a Wilson fumble deep in our end. There were 3 other series that were very short. All the time the O called involved deeper pass plays that the OLine was incapable protecting Wilson long enough to develop.

The O isn't allowing the D any rest and forced them to play 2/3 of the game. This has become a worsening problem and is reflective of a need for some real change. I'm sure the staff will try to change up, but the weak sauce served up on Sunday was reflective of a worsening problem with no seeming ability to adjust.

ptisme

Reaction score
GeekHawk":wy5lohkq said:
ptisme":wy5lohkq said:
pittpnthrs":wy5lohkq said:

The problem is that the offensive-side coaches AREN'T getting poached. That's why we're stuck in hell with them.
Well it hurt when you lost Quinn and Beast for various reasons... As I recall you traded some good offensive linemen too.

KPA

Reaction score
If Pete did can Cable and/or Bevell, who would assume those position(s) that would be better than we have? To make a change now is conceding the season. Maybe in the off season it happens, but I whole heartedly believe nobody walks until Pete walks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bevell isn't the one generating the low-scoring, run-first, hope-for-a-big-play-at-the-end-when-everyone-is-gassed mentality. That's Pete. It's always been Pete. It's been his attitude throughout his NFL career. In college he could run up the score because he rocked at recruiting, but here, he's been conservative and run-first.

I could tell right away vs the Packers, once I saw Wilson holding onto the ball looking for deep shots, that Pete was once again giving in to his instincts and going for the chunk play. Same as in Tampa '16. We'd been doing great, beat the Patriots, beat the Eagles, nobody was griping about the OL because Pete was running the quick-play scheme that masked their deficiencies. Then, in Tampa, Pete gave in again. Went back to lusting for the chunk play. And WITHIN ONE QUARTER vs Tampa, our offense was once again a disaster.

It was one of the most mind-boggling decisions of Pete's career last Tampa game, especially given the fact that they'd lost Britt to injury (or perhaps that's why they did it). Pete knows Wilson can win with the quick passing scheme, but he refuses to stick to it because he wants to be run-first. I'm getting to the point where I'm willing to say that it's simply his pride, and it's hurting the team.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
KPA":vt3quoox said:
If Pete did can Cable and/or Bevell, who would assume those position(s) that would be better than we have? To make a change now is conceding the season. Maybe in the off season it happens, but I whole heartedly believe nobody walks until Pete walks.

The Ravens fired their OC, Cam Cameron, in week 14 of 2012 and then went on to win the Super Bowl.

Seymour

Reaction score
KPA":1a2yivno said:

That may well be part of the problem.

Here is who may end up with that position.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/roster/brennan-carroll-0

mikeak

Reaction score
The problem is that we are playing the 49ers this week

So we score a bunch of points on a horrible team and people will say - see it is all fixed and ignore that we are losing to elite teams and beating crap

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":2eax7t20 said:

So we score a bunch of points on a horrible team and people will say - see it is all fixed and ignore that we are losing to elite teams and beating crap
This is typical of the rotting culture of some of this fanbase -- actually describing a win as a negative attribute.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
2012: #17
2013: #18
2014: #9
2015: #4
2016: #12

These are the offensive rankings for total offense for the Hawks since 2012, and IMO we would have again been a top 10 offense last year if not for Russell getting hurt.

So are we spoiled? Do we expect more from an offense that has the worst line in the league and only has 40% of the cap space committed to the offensive side of the ball?

Idk, my opinion is this is Pete's team, so even if you replace Bevell and Cable the new coordinators would still have to work within the confines of Pete's physical ball control run first style of offense. So my guess is you guys wouldn't even notice a difference with different coordinators.

So I hate to say it, if you want to see a different offense, then what you're REALLY saying is you want a new head coach.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Trust me I'm not the biggest Bevell guy, but Pete controls all of this.

Pete's the one that stubbornly sticks to a ball control offense that moves slowly. If Bevell wanted to change it up, I'm not sure he would. Granted I didn't see a lot of the game (i saw a bit in a bar while waiting for food in between salmon fishing), there were things that we can't blame on Bevell: Graham dropping a key 3rd down pass, Wilson forcing an incompletion to McEvoy when Lacy was wide open in the flat, poor blocking by the OL (can't game plan for or against that), missed assignments by the OL, Wilson fumbling the ball. That's not on the OC or play calling.

Now there was some play calling issues. I've read that we didn't try any read option stuff. That's a mistake. Also, no real quick or intermediate passes early in the game when pass protection was at it's worst. What's wrong with calling quick pass plays right off the bat and letting the OL get some tempo and rhythm against a fresh defense ? Nope, we go all run heavy and PA pass. Pathetic.

The one thing I'm going to call out is Cable's ability to scout OL. I'm assuming Pete and John rely heavily on Cable either telling them what they need, or input on specific prospects. He's missing way too much at the higher draft picks. Granted, he's not getting a lot of draft capital to work with, but the stuff he's getting we're whiffing on and I think he's a big part of that.

Also, we keep having communications issues with inexperienced OL. Why can't we keep it simple at first, then work them into it ?

mikeak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":gy7o0cn1 said:
mikeak":gy7o0cn1 said:

This is typical of the rotting culture of some of this fanbase -- actually describing a win as a negative attribute.

The definition of a troll is taking something someone says and twisting it around and putting words in their mouth

Did I say it was bad that we win?

Of course I want the win. What I am saying and which would be understood by most objective observers is that a good offensive performance against a bad team mainly serves to mask our problems. That is very different from a win in itself being a negative attribute. If we can kickstart the offense and keep it going against better defensive teams great, but the Rams and Jacksonville is going to crush this "offense".

Was listening on the radio today and they discussed playing Watson over Savage for Houston. Talked about how they can move Watson around and how he can compensate for a bad O-line. Hopefully Bevell was listening

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":30nayx8r said:
They've figured it out for the past 5 years. One season opener doesn't equate to that.

They didn't figure crap out last season. What season were you watching?

12 points against Miami at home, taking a last minute TD to pull it out. 3 points against Los Angeles. 6 points against Arizona, including a full overtime period. 13 points against New Orleans (we got 7 from the defense), a historically bad defense. 5 points against Tampa Bay. 10 points against Green Bay, including a 5-pick treat from Wilson.

That's 8.1 ppg in 6 of our 16 games. Beyond unacceptable. A borderline competent NFL offense averages twice that.

Right back to the same problem in the first game this season. They absolutely suck in the red zone, so the rare chances they do get usually end up in field goals.

There are a stack of problems on this offense. No, it is not ALL on Bevell, nor Cable. The line is bad. They have no idea how to use Graham, who is eating up $10 million of our cap. They want to be a run dominant team but don't have the personnel to do that. Our top-3 receivers are smallish/quick guys, but we don't utilize their talents in game design. Bevell seems to not have pages in his playbook for screens, angle routes, etc. He calls plays with 7-step drops behind the NFL's worst NFL line - which makes no sense.

They are wasting the prime years of Wilson's career.

Speaking of Wilson, he isn't beyond some criticism... it is his 6th full season with tons of big game experience, and he should be hitting throws like that one he missed to Lockett. I personally worry about his commitment to being a top-flight quarterback, as he is building his business empire and legacy (and that's ok, it happens to all the big stars). I don't blame him fully for being skittish and indecisive - any other QB in the league would die behind this line. I get it. But, I think he needs to improve some basics (reading defenses, audibles, adjusting protections).

Do we want a Super Bowl caliber team, or a team that wins a bad division every year by default?

I don't see how things are going to magically get better. There are defenses on our schedule this year that are going to kick tails sideways (Tennessee, Los Angeles twice, New York Giants, Houston, Philly, Jacksonville).

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ev2p42s said:
mikeak":1ev2p42s said:

Truth.

This team made a choice to emphasize keeping all of the Pro Bowl level Defenders at the expense of the Offense, specifically the O-line. That's what happens in this league: decisions must be made, cannot keep everyone.

Now in hindsight, would we have been a better team overall the past few years if, say, we let KJ and Kam walk and invested that money into the O-line? I think that's likely. But Pete is a Defensive coach, so cobbling together an O-line from castoffs and cheap drafted players is what has to be done. That means the O is going to suck at the beginning of every year until they get time to gel! Happens EVERY YEAR!

I just cannot understand how many people in this forum expected a loss against GB, they know our slow starts to the SEASON and the Offense is not going to be up to speed, and yet the amount of crying and bitching in here only gets worse.