The grass at Levi's

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2vjiwiel said:
They can't get it right no matter how many times they do it. But the Yorks own this team. So nothing surprises me at all.

Exactly?! I guess Jed York wants to be known as the Atlanta Falcons of Santa Clara now, because he is certainly fazing out the "Gold" in the Niners Stadium by painting the End Zones Black?! I guess Jed York doesn't realize that his team is named for the 49ers that Mined for Gold!...But it really doesn't surprise me much...Smdh.

Marvin49

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":1r43m4wu said:
SanDiego49er":1r43m4wu said:
They can't get it right no matter how many times they do it. But the Yorks own this team. So nothing surprises me at all.

Exactly?! I guess Jed York wants to be known as the Atlanta Falcons of Santa Clara now, because he is certainly fazing out the "Gold" in the Niners Stadium by painting the End Zones Black?! I guess Jed York doesn't realize that his team is named for the 49ers that Mined for Gold!...But it really doesn't surprise me much...Smdh.

Uh....

....I hate to interrupt a perfectly good story, but the Endzones were never gold. They were either green or red, not gold.

Regular Season:

Moss 2
BRLRiGeCMAAx62p
10110949ersendzone

Playoffs:

Forty niners end zone visible
AjI80iCCQAAMmyd

253hawk

Reaction score
I think he meant the ever-present gold accent color, not the actual background. Now it's just black and red. The only thing in the whole stadium that'll be gold on the alternate days are the helmets.

Marvin49

Reaction score
253hawk":rk94d0sr said:
I think he meant the ever-present gold accent color, not the actual background. Now it's just black and red. The only thing in the whole stadium that'll be gold on the alternate days are the helmets.

Still not a departure from last year. This is vs. Philly last year at Levis. Only diff is the background.

PHI%20v%20SF.JPG

CLXjVk2UEAE39Gj

I've also read that the black endzones won't make it to the regular season. We'll see.

This isn't A York thing btw (the black uniforms). It was a request from the players. It started when Harbaugh started having his QBs wear black jerseys in practice to signify not to hit them. The players really liked the look and that's how the whole thing was born.

As for the pants, IMO if they were gold they'd look WAY too much like the Saints. I go back and forth on the black unis to be honest, but my biggest prob is the red and white socks.

Exittium

Reaction score
So instead of the saints they wanna look like the cardinals?..

Idk, apparently the players if wanting the switch have no idea of the either the history of the name or don't care. Hell might as well rename the team while they're at it. SC Jailbirds? SC Convicts?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2eiqiid2 said:
253hawk":2eiqiid2 said:

Still not a departure from last year. This is vs. Philly last year at Levis.

PHI%20v%20SF.JPG

This isn't A York THING btw (the black uniforms). It was a request from the players. It started when Harbaugh started having his QBs wear black jerseys in practice to signify not to hit them. The players really liked the look and that's how the whole thing was born.

As for the pants, IMO if they were gold they'd look WAY too much like the Saints. I go back and forth on the black unis to be honest, but my biggest prob is the red and white socks.

I think your biggest problem is going to be with the players IN those uniforms, not the uniforms themselves. At least you'll think they "look good" when they lose. Imagine being a Browns fan and having to watch the worst team in the worst uniforms too...that would REALLY suck.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
253hawk":1tgdk3ne said:

Exactly....And thank you. It is more than obvious that Ownership has totally eliminated any Gold at the venue, Levis, and on the Field?! Just another "dumb" decision by the dysfunctional, clueless Yorks?!

Maulbert

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":rht8sbgf said:
253hawk":rht8sbgf said:

Exactly....And thank you. It is more than obvious that Ownership has totally eliminated any Gold at the venue, Levis, and on the Field?! Just another "dumb" decision by the dysfunctional, clueless Yorks?!

Well, too much gold would look a little tacky (see: fan alternate gold jerseys *shudder*) and, let's be honest, 49ers gold looks more like baby shart yellow since Nike took over.

253hawk

Reaction score
greenblue_eye's2":1zu9sj9j said:

Going to UW games just didn't feel the same when they had the purple helmets, and I don't really like the purple end zones with gold lettering either. Just looks better the other way around.

The 49ers had one of the best classic looks in football, and they're ruining it.

NINEster

Reaction score
Candlestick was never a good field. Always wet, according to Niner players past and present. Reason being that the water table was too high which was due to being in proximity to the Bay, nothing could be done about it.

So Levis being better is an improvement on its own. This quest for perfection in the offseason is comical. If only you guys knew about the massive re-sodding that had to take place for those early to mid '90s NFC championship games.

The league will provide grass for the Super Bowl. Don't know what they use but SB 49 field looked amazing....looked like freaking turf.

I know it's the layman thing to expect everything to be so simple, but I'm sure there's a good explanation for the issues they are having. The field was fine last year so don't think there's anything to it except trash talk. :thirishdrinkers:

ps - Trash talking about fields should be limited to those teams with grass.......Dolphins, Steelers, Cardinals, Bears, Chargers, Chiefs, Browns, Packers, Redskins, Bucs, Jaguars, Texans, Titans, Broncos, Raiders and even the Eagles with their hybrid grass surface are free to talk, the rest can enjoy their characterless playing surface. :th2thumbs:

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
NINEster":24n6c0o2 said:
Candlestick was never a good field. Always wet, according to Niner players past and present. Reason being that the water table was too high which was due to being in proximity to the Bay, nothing could be done about it.

So Levis being better is an improvement on its own. This quest for perfection in the offseason is comical. If only you guys knew about the massive re-sodding that had to take place for those early to mid '90s NFC championship games.

The league will provide grass for the Super Bowl. Don't know what they use but SB 49 field looked amazing....looked like freaking turf.

I know it's the layman thing to expect everything to be so simple, but I'm sure there's a good explanation for the issues they are having. The field was fine last year so don't think there's anything to it except trash talk. :thirishdrinkers:

ps - Trash talking about fields should be limited to those teams with grass.......Dolphins, Steelers, Cardinals, Bears, Chargers, Chiefs, Browns, Packers, Redskins, Bucs, Jaguars, Texans, Titans, Broncos, Raiders and even the Eagles with their hybrid grass surface are free to talk, the rest can enjoy their characterless playing surface. :th2thumbs:

Our 2012 playoff game vs Redskins. **** grass fields that are poorly maintained.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
The 49ers - aside from their wordmark, player name font, and updated-ish helmet logo - have one of the best uniforms in the NFL. Ruining that the brick/old gold/white combo by adding a quaternary uniform base color (black) appears to be a pure money grab. The uniforms themselves don't look awful - I like color-on-color - but they lose the distinctive 49ers palette and do not blend with the stock helmets. All in all: a tacky move.

I actually liked the 1990-95 drop shadows, because unlike the Bengals's current numbers, they were not competing with anything else on the uniform:

Deion sanders 49ers

But a black alt is really reminiscent of all the ugly, unnecessary late 90s/early aughts black-for-black's sake MLB kits (I'm looking at you, Mets).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Funny, those were always my least favorite 9ers uniforms. :lol:

It was always the drop-shadow in particular, which in retrospect always kinda made it look like the numbers had been poorly photoshopped onto the jersey, even when you were standing right in front of it.

As for the cash grab of it, of course, IIRC the NFL's contract with Nike requires teams to slowly roll out new alternates each year, and the 9ers have yet to introduce a new game-day alternate since 2009 (before the Nike contract).

Re: the actual alternates themselves, I'm not really a big fan of them and could take or leave the black, but it's what the players wanted so I'm not complaining too much. Perhaps the nicest thing I could say about them is that at least they err on the side of being too minimalist rather than too busy.

That said, I would have preferred for some incorporation of gold into the uniforms beyond just the helmet, as some 9ers fans petitioned for with this as a mock-up:

31.jpg

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":34hie34h said:
^^^^ Funny, those were always my least favorite 9ers uniforms. :lol:

It was always the drop-shadow in particular, which in retrospect always kinda made it look like the numbers had been poorly photoshopped onto the jersey, even when you were standing right in front of it.

As for the cash grab of it, of course, IIRC the NFL's contract with Nike requires teams to slowly roll out new alternates each year, and the 9ers have yet to introduce a new game-day alternate since 2009 (before the Nike contract).

Re: the actual alternates themselves, I'm not really a big fan of them and could take or leave the black, but it's what the players wanted so I'm not complaining too much. Perhaps the nicest thing I could say about them is that at least they err on the side of being too minimalist rather than too busy.

That said, I would have preferred for some incorporation of gold into the uniforms beyond just the helmet, as some 9ers fans petitioned for with this as a mock-up:

31.jpg

Not a fan of the gold surround on the numbers. One of the things I love about the current uniform is its simplicity. They kept that in the black unis.

I like the helmet stripe but I think there is a rule that they aren't allowed to make changes to the helmet in the alt uniform.

The Nike Logos on the pants and jersey are both gold and if you were to add gold gloves and shoes I think it actually works. Gold was a rarity anyway for the original 49ers. :) Limiting the gold in the uniforms has never really bothered me in any iteration of the uniforms just because the entire idea that its a precious substance that the original 49ers travelled west to find. The helmet will ALWAYS have to be gold, but accents of it elsewhere are fine to me.

My biggest issue is and always has been the white on the socks. Just doesn't work with the black.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, the shoes and gloves is another route to go for sure.

TBF wanting the gold outlining could reasonably just be because I'm red/green colorblind, so the red-on-black is really hard for me to see and gives me a headache while trying to read it (the equivalent of you reading dark brown-on-black).

And definitely agreed about the white on the socks, which going with the theme would make much more sense as black or red.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
The precedence of a 49ers numerical drop-shadow actually dates back to 1955 - pre-dating the gold color altogether.

Gold is to the 49ers as Action Green is to the Seahawks - a tertiary color. Just keep it off the jersey base, and I'm fine with both.

The gold outlines actually work with the helmet, as long as the latter has a black stripe.

Due to medical reasons, an NFL player's helmet may not be swapped during the season. Even so, decals may be applied and removed from the shell (e.g. the Packers' Acme throwbacks).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":16u5pogs said:
The precedence of a 49ers numerical drop-shadow actually dates back to 1956 - pre-dating the gold color altogether.

Gold is to the 49ers as Action Green is to the Seahawks - a tertiary color. Just keep it off the jersey base, and I'm fine with both.

The gold outlines actually work with the helmet, as long as the latter has a black stripe.

Due to medical reasons, an NFL player's helmet may not be swapped during the season. Even so, decals may be applied and removed from the shell (e.g. the Packers' Acme throwbacks).

1) Correct on the drop shadow. The '94 uniforms are throwbacks to that time, tho if there were going to be exact, they'd be silver helmets and look a lot like Ohio State.

2) Good info on the helmets. Then I guess they could change the sticker.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I might be off regarding the drop-shadow pre-dating the Gold; there are conflicting reports that the 49ers actually used Gold on their home 1947 uniforms before dropping it for 9 years and resurrecting it for the 1957 and 1958 seasons, and then permanently starting in 1964. [/pedant]

The 1948-53 uniforms did indeed look like OSU's.