The Johnny Football Stinkfest

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":oyfee9qm said:
MizzouHawkGal":oyfee9qm said:
Scottemojo":oyfee9qm said:
I want Johnny to succeed. But that was nasty.

He looked like Russell Wilson with no caution out there.
That's an interesting comparison. Not true given he has an actual OL and #1 WR. But interesting nonetheless.
Are you sure about that? Or do you just not like him?
Starting center is out, and he was under pressure all day. I watched. Did you?
Didn't know the center was out that does change things but not enough for me think he will ever be successful in the NFL. He never ran an actual offense, he isn't fast and his arm always looked average to me. With that I just don't understand all the hype around him.

And no I did not watch because I don't have DirectTV. Though by looking at the ticker I kind of wish I could have seen his awesome debut. It would have been funnier then watching Kansas City beat the snot out of Oakland at least.

byau

Reaction score
kearly":13onkj4e said:
Sad to say, I don't think Manziel's version of backyard football is going to work. Russell Wilson can pull it off because his lack of height belies his otherwise outstanding physical tools. Manziel's foot speed is barely above average in the NFL, and his arm strength is roughly on par with Matt Flynn's. Couple that with Manziel's natural risk taking nature and you get games like this.

How about between the ears? Physical dimensions aside, they seem vastly different in that area too.

Separation is in the preparation

Visualization

etc.
etc.

You just get the feeling that off the field Russell is still thinking about football all the time. And if not, it's how to make the world a better place or something constructive like that. And he surrounds himself with a very tight group that wants Russell to succeed badly at everything as well and helps keep him grounded.

Compared to Johnny ....

hmmm...

ringless

Reaction score
His size really may be an issue, he doesn't have that same elusiveness that Wilson has that allows him to avoid a lot of big hits. Another poor outing today.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
ringless":1wmsiotj said:
His size really may be an issue, he doesn't have that same elusiveness that Wilson has that allows him to avoid a lot of big hits. Another poor outing today.

How his day ended says it all I think, NFL LB's are fast enough to catch him and big enough to hurt him. Your playing with the big boys now Johnny!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I wish people would stop comparing this guy to Wilson. Wilson has been and is a pro from day one. Forced us to start him day one because he has it.

Johnny football couldn't even beat out Hoyer.

Get outta here with this crap on Manziel.

If he ever is successful long term in this league I'll eat my computer mouse.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":bhczobw0 said:
Staggering offensive gameplan by Cleveland. Not protecting Manziel at all. It's like they're hanging him out to dry. No excuses for some of the mistakes so far, but they needed to take the pressure off him and play not to turn it over.

Now Cleveland's just teeing off and blitzing him. No counter in the play calling.

A disaster zone.
Teams do the same thing to Wilson and it just makes him better. Nobody around here, obvously, need to be reminded of this, but WE GOT SO FRICKEN LUCKY. If we did a trade like the RG3 move to get him, I'd still think we got unbelievably lucky.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":o56lzn8a said:
He has sneaky arm strength. That pick PacMan nabbed in the endzone? That looked like some nice zip there. Lots of velocity.

Johnny's lack of a playbook, ever, means its going to be really bad for awhile. The gameplan and blocking was, umm, wowzers. It hung Johnny out to dry a bit.

Two more games to show some life...

I only saw a few plays from his most recent game, to be fair.

Arm strength can be developed, even over the course of a season. Cyler Miles is a good example of this. In three months he went from a noodle arm to adequate. Manziel's arm was fringe in college and sub-fringe in the preseason. Maybe it got stronger since then.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
He just finally realized he needs to take being an NFL QB seriously...that says it all to me.

ringless

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3t3llzt8 said:
He just finally realized he needs to take being an NFL QB seriously...that says it all to me.

Yea that quote as a fan, owner, anything really would have me extremely concerned.... Especially with his past history and red flags.......... Then to follow it up he is seen out around midnight and gets fined for showing up to practice late the next day.... Way to take it seriously....

Maulbert

Reaction score
I never liked this guy, and couldn't be feeling more schadenfreude from his failure. And the comparisons to Wilson just pissed me off. Wilson is 100 times the person and football player this little douche is. Pardon my french.

ringless

Reaction score
Maulbert":1cjtaunc said:
I never liked this guy, and couldn't be feeling more schadenfreude from his failure. And the comparisons to Wilson just pissed me off. Wilson is 100 times the person and football player this little douche is. Pardon my french.

Wilson is of course 100 times the person. Wilson carries himself in a rare manor. Oozes leadership and dedication and it's obviously contagious. Wilson is about as much as leader as a man can be.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
ringless":1yl73yze said:
-The Glove-":1yl73yze said:

Yea that quote as a fan, owner, anything really would have me extremely concerned.... Especially with his past history and red flags.......... Then to follow it up he is seen out around midnight and gets fined for showing up to practice late the next day.... Way to take it seriously....
Was he late? In the article about Gordon being suspended, it said Johnny missed the meeting too

OkieHawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1yz3sfwb said:
ringless":1yz3sfwb said:
-The Glove-":1yz3sfwb said:

Was he late? In the article about Gordon being suspended, it said Johnny missed the meeting too

He was late for a medical treatment, hence the fine.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1cweiqkm said:
-The Glove-":1cweiqkm said:
ringless":1cweiqkm said:
-The Glove-":1cweiqkm said:

He was late for a medical treatment, hence the fine.
So hold on...this guy really threw a big party Friday night attended by multiple teammates including, of course, Gordon, and needed team security to drag his ass to treatment on his recently injured hammy? This kid makes it too easy

ringless

Reaction score
He didn't say he would take the NFL more seriously this year, he said next year he will. So he gets a free pass for the team having to literally drag him out of bed

lsheldon

Reaction score
Interesting comments from the Brown's owner.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/has ... ar-BBhiJYG

Speaking after the team's 20-10 Week 17 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, Haslam essentially offered an ultimatum to the young players who have found themselves in the wrong headlines as of late, via the Akron Beach Journal's Nate Ulrich:

#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said players who miss meetings, practice, lifting disrespect not only themselves, but team, coaches, staff & fans
— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) December 28, 2014

#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said team will work w/young guys who messed up, but if they can't grow up & be responsible, they won't be w/team.

#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam: "We're not going to tolerate people who are irresponsible no matter what round they're drafted in. ...

#Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said if those guys can't grow up & be responsible to team & fans, "then they won't be with the Cleveland Browns."

And from Haslam and Pettine:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/own ... ar-BBhiQRv

Haslam said missing meetings and not adhering to team obligations was "disrespectful...to teammates, coaches, fans, people whose livelihoods depend on us winning games" and said the Browns "will not tolerate it" in the future.

Pettine started his postgame press conference by saying discussion of "three guys" wouldn't be fair to players "who just played their butts off" and that he asked his players who played Sunday not to comment either until the Browns wrap their season, publicly and privately, on Monday.

"I'll have a lot to say tomorrow," Pettine said.

Manziel declined an interview request after the game, saying he would meet the media Monday.

Neither Manziel nor Gilbert were on the Browns sideline during the game. Pettine said he would address that decision Monday as well.

Wonder how long this idiot has left in Cleveland. Doesn't sound like it's long now.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Johnny Football and Josh Gordon are going to make a sequel.....

https://www.[youtube]kCXqbjo6cb0[/youtube]

ringless

Reaction score
The Patriots scouting report of him are spot on!

http://deadspin.com/leaked-internal-sco ... 1574040417

Qutes from scouting report the season leading up to the draft... Spot on?

"Will never take football seriously enough for our coaching staff, he'll hate meetings, will have to drag him to work out, etc. The definition of the word maintenance."

Teammates don't dislike him, but there's some resentment, more so in the offseason when he isn't coming to workouts and they are busting their butt.

JL 10/15 - Suspended first half of TXRI game for autograph scandal. Couple of TXTC sources say can't yell/scream at him or he shuts down; has walked away from Kingsbury in the past. Has an avg. work ethic, came to 4 of 32 summer '13 workouts, and quit going to in-season workouts late in '12. Doesn't study the game, said to know about 60% of the offense in '12, never watches film; one source said only time he watched film during '12 was before ALUN

Seems to enjoy putting himself in situations where he knows attention will follow him (TXUN frat party during summer). CONCERNS: Off-field behavior, cockiness, maturity