The McFadden non-catch

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":91uwhw37 said:
I knew it was getting overturned the second I saw it on Jerry's giant tv. He never secured that ball. KJ Wright was about to bend him like a taco and he knew it.

Yes he never had the ball secured, and when he went to do so it slipped out, was an easy call to make.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, it was so close.

He almost tucked the ball away and showed full control. But he didn't. Just another slight movement and there would not have been any doubt. I think he fumbled it away just as he was trying to get full control. Still though, probably close enough to call it either way.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
TorontoHawk said:
I disagree, did not look like a catch to me, lost the ball trying to secure it in his left hand, did not think he was turning up field. The call was correct and we won the game so that is all that matters. Don't get you short in a bunch because someone does not agree with you.

I am not wearing g shorts, nor am I upset. I was just pointing out that you are wrong.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":7a5ip3fc said:
TorontoHawk said:
I disagree, did not look like a catch to me, lost the ball trying to secure it in his left hand, did not think he was turning up field. The call was correct and we won the game so that is all that matters. Don't get you short in a bunch because someone does not agree with you.

I am not wearing g shorts, nor am I upset. I was just pointing out that you are wrong.
[/quote]

Not wrong, never had control of the ball proves I am correct, and the call was made correctly. Just take the homer glasses off for a minute and watch it again, close but it was not a catch.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Nah. He caught the ball against his chest, turned and while moving tried to shift the ball to his left side......fumble.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Was definitely not a catch, and it's annoying that refs officiate knowing they have a crutch in instant replay. When you watch that in real time there is simply no way to think that's a catch.

canfan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3n3gyzm8 said:
Meh, our only TD clearly wasn't a TD. Should have been 1st and goal from about 4" out and likely a TD on the next play but non the less it was very clear Willson hadn't crossed the goal line before his but hit the ground.

Just shit officiating in general but really didn't favor a team.

Depends on the camera angle you are looking at. One shot showed him clearly across and one showed him clearly short. Without knowing the camera angle its impossible to sit and home and know which was the correct angle. I'd have had no problem if they had overturned the call, but can see why they didn't reverse the call on the field. Can't say the same about the McFadden fumble

scutterhawk

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1d6s8etw said:
That was not a catch, he never had control of the ball in his hands.
IF you take two steps (FOOTBALL MOVE) with the ball still in both hands, it's considered a catch...it was indeed "A Catch", tried shifting the ball to his left arm to protect it from a punch-out by Wright, and FUMBLED.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2vbpmv44 said:
Was definitely not a catch, and it's annoying that refs officiate knowing they have a crutch in instant replay. When you watch that in real time there is simply no way to think that's a catch.

Really? He caught it, tucked it in his right arm, turned upfield, and took 2.5 steps. I don't understand how people can think it's an inc. pass.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3mphqond said:
No way that YOU think it was a catch, but it WAS INDEED A CATCH. :roll:

StoneCold

Reaction score
Too many homer and anti homer glasses being used in this thread. It could have gone either way. You can make a case for it being a catch, he grasped it with two hands, it clearly wasn't moving, took a step and in transferring the ball it slipped out. It all occurred bang bang and could easily be seen as never having enough control to call it a catch.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If it, indeed, isn't a catch, then having the football secure in your hands and turning upfield and moving forward for a couple of steps must not constitute a football move.

The problem I have with it is that I swear I've heard exactly the above used as a description of a football move in other cases.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I honestly can't see how that isn't a catch and fumble.

He catches the ball with 2 hands. Tucks it to his chest, also with 2 hands. Takes two steps, goes to transfer the ball to the outside hand (this is important...this wasn't a "bobble" he controlled the ball, willfully moving it to another hand, and lost control), THEN he loses the ball right as his third step was coming down.

It's ridiculously bad that this was actually overturned.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm inclined to think that wasn't a catch either.

If that play happens as he's going out of bounds, and the ball flips out without contact like that, I would expect that to be ruled an incomplete pass even if he has both feet inbounds before stepping out.

I didn't have a problem with it after a few choice drunken cuss words in real time. After soberly watching it later though it seems like it was a correct call.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Home town cooking for sure. Can't expect calls like that to go your way on the road.

James in PA

Reaction score
Every time the Hawks are on FOX and are involved in an instant replay, that D bag Mike Pereira says the call should go in the other team's favor. That clown HATES the Seahawks.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It was a catch all the way. Ball is firmly in his hands and he turns and makes a football move.

I was shocked they overturned that. NFL catch rules are a joke.

Barakas

Reaction score
I don't know how to insert a .gif but maybe someone here can add the Tate Interception-turned-over-and-made-a-TD catch.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/10/1 ... uffed-punt

How the heck was Tate given a TD, taking away an INT from the other team, and the McFadden fumble not ruled a fumble?!?!?

How is anyone supposed to know what a catch is when the freaking replay officials interpret things so differently from week to week?!?!?!