The McFadden non-catch

Exittium

Reaction score
James in PA":2padd2de said:
Every time the Hawks are on FOX and are involved in an instant replay, that D bag Mike Pereira says the call should go in the other team's favor. That clown HATES the Seahawks.

So true. I wish they wouldn't ask him jack shit. All he does is make crap worse, other fans then go "SEE TOLD YOU LOOK! IT IS A PENALTY IT ISNT A FUMBLE! " It was a fumble, he caught it, moved with the ball (2 steps at least 3 and switched arms (at which point the fumble occurred) It was a football move. Period

DanBug22

Reaction score
It's amazing that the NFL allows this to still be an issue. What pissed me off was what Mike Pereira said when he was trying to explain the Willson TD catch later on (which after review, definitely looked like it was down at the 4-6 inch line).

Aikman asks him how they could miss the call while showing him the picture of Willson's butt hitting the ground before the ball crosses the endzone.

Mike Pereira struggles to find an answer and finally goes "Well when its close and a bang-bang play, officials have to go with the call on the field."

Are you flipping kidding me? Now when it's close you have to go with the call on the field?

Well Mike, the McFadden catch/fumble seemed to be as close as it gets and the call on the field was a fumble. Somehow the ref found 100% clear evidence it wasn't a catch (Still boggles my mind).

I would love to hear Mike Pereira stumble and struggle through explaining this but in the end, all Mike Pereira does is struggle to make any sense of anything.

It's sad we have to watch a game with the Aikman play by play and the Mike Pereira explanations. Might as well give us a live feed to Jerry's suite.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":13bhpv7q said:
It was a catch all the way. Ball is firmly in his hands and he turns and makes a football move.

I was shocked they overturned that. NFL catch rules are a joke.

I don't see the ball firmly in his hand at all, tried to secure it in his right arm but lost control and trying to move up the field and it slipped out, incomplete pass in my book. But we won the game so on to the next one.

Exittium

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":26pdzoha said:
HawkFan72":26pdzoha said:
It was a catch all the way. Ball is firmly in his hands and he turns and makes a football move.

I don't see the ball firmly in his hand at all, tried to secure it in his right arm but lost control and trying to move up the field and it slipped out, incomplete pass in my book. But we won the game so on to the next one.

4r6fFTd Looks firm to me, and the frame before that he had it tucked up in his chest (1 step taken) where he caught it, and he carries it like that for quiet a few frames (at least for a step or two) then see's wright and switches arms, or tries to. Thats a damn fumble anywhere else in the NFL. and in the rule book that is a damn fumble

DanBug22

Reaction score
The refs on the field looking right at it disagree with you

Msfann

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people who say it was a catch. It seems like the ref's are getting worse every year and the league does NOTHING about it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Exittium":1u84nvyl said:
TorontoHawk":1u84nvyl said:
HawkFan72":1u84nvyl said:

4r6fFTd Looks firm to me, and the frame before that he had it tucked up in his chest (1 step taken) where he caught it, and he carries it like that for quiet a few frames (at least for a step or two) then see's wright and switches arms, or tries to. Thats a damn fumble anywhere else in the NFL. and in the rule book that is a damn fumble

This right here is the crux of it for me. He controls the ball at both ends. While doing this, the ball isn't moving around, other than he pulls it up to his chest.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wouldn't have had a problem ruling it on the field either way but overturning it IMO was definitely wrong.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Smellyman":c152b3g8 said:
What's weird is it was an overturned call.

That is the part I don't understand. There is clearly NOT enough evidence to change that call.

Does anyone else notice that whenever there is a review in a Seahawks game that the idiot former official on Fox ALWAYS goes against the Seahawks? Then, he seems upset if/when the officials on the field go the other way.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Just another example to put in the highlight reel to show people who say the calls always go the Seahawks way.

"Seahawks get all the lucky breaks." "Seahawks stole that one."

Nope.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Most damning evidence for it being a fumble is that the player himself knew he fumbled it. Watch McFadden feverishly try to locate the ball and fall on it. Guys don't do that when they know its an incompletion. He knew he had it, dropped it trying to tuck it and tried to recover it as a result.

A ridiculous overturn.

And the Willson TD debacle was some trickery by Fox. They showed the frame where it still wasn't quite clear that Luke's butt had firmly touched the ground yet and said that was definitive proof. If they'd have advanced the film one more frame to where Luke's butt is now clearly on the ground, you'd have seen the nose of the football breaking the plane. The frameshot they took it's still possible Luke's butt is an inch off the ground because you can't see the ground pushing in the muscles of his glut yet. In a 2D image its impossible to be sure. Next frame his butt is flattening against the ground, he's clearly down now and the ball is penetrating the goal line. Perreira should be better than that. But he's an ass.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Mad Dog":25klousi said:
Most damning evidence for it being a fumble is that the player himself knew he fumbled it. Watch McFadden feverishly try to locate the ball and fall on it. Guys don't do that when they know its an incompletion. He knew he had it, dropped it trying to tuck it and tried to recover it as a result.

A ridiculous overturn.

And the Willson TD debacle was some trickery by Fox. They showed the frame where it still wasn't quite clear that Luke's butt had firmly touched the ground yet and said that was definitive proof. If they'd have advanced the film one more frame to where Luke's butt is now clearly on the ground, you'd have seen the nose of the football breaking the plane. The frameshot they took it's still possible Luke's butt is an inch off the ground because you can't see the ground pushing in the muscles of his glut yet. In a 2D image its impossible to be sure. Next frame his butt is flattening against the ground, he's clearly down now and the ball is penetrating the goal line. Perreira should be better than that. But he's an ass.

His butt muscles? Really?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I would love to know if the all22 shows an angle that looks different than the sideline view because from that angle Wollson clearly looked down before the ball cross's the goal line. I'm curious what angle the review official was looking at.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
My favorite part was Aikman crying on and on and on and on about the 2.3 millimeters we were "gifted" on the TD that prevented an insurmountable 1st and goal from the hairline, but barely shrugs his shoulders when the cowgirls get a free 3 points after one of the more ridiculous overturns I have ever seen.

Not that I was surprised of course. Just found his selective indignation amusing.

Russellmania3

Reaction score
The NFL makes up the term "football move"

Pretty clear a football move was made.

The refs ,I thought made the right call by not calling the play dead. Then totally botched the call on replay. Conclusive evidence my ass.

HawkerD

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1fqaizxd said:
It was one of many poor calls by that crew as it appeared they were trying to keep the game close.

Anyone who believes this is not living on the reality plane. Why are they so interested in this game being close yet they let us blowout the Broncos in the Superbowl?

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":vxupib5w said:
I knew it was getting overturned the second I saw it on Jerry's giant tv. He never secured that ball. KJ Wright was about to bend him like a taco and he knew it.

I called it a non-fumble in real time, you have to complete the football move and the ball came out mid-move.

Also, on replay you can see the ball shifting significantly as he initially transfers the ball.

The best I could argue is that it was a 50-50 call. Whereas the Luke Willson TD was clearly short (which I also called in real time). Overall I thought the refs helped Seattle more than they hurt them in this game.

Laloosh":vxupib5w said:
His butt muscles? Really?

My brother and I were laughing hysterically about how millions of people were forced to watch Luke Willson's butt in slow-mo.

Tical21

Reaction score
I argue with the rule itself. Who are we kidding, that's a catch and fumbe? However, the process of the catch was never completed, and therefore the referees got this correct. Take issue with the rule itself all you want, but the interpretation of the rule as it exists was correct.

If this had been Marshawn Lynch, and the call had been ruled a fumble, what would this place be like?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1vvtthlg said:
Just another example to put in the highlight reel to show people who say the calls always go the Seahawks way.

"Seahawks get all the lucky breaks." "Seahawks stole that one."

Nope.

Well I mean, Luke Willson wasn't across the goal-line (granted we'd have had 1st and G at the 1 foot line) and we had 12 men on the field + called a second consecutive timeout which should have been flagged for a 15 yard penalty...

So I'd say the bad calls washed out.