The most undervalued need of ours.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Nobody talks about it, but we need a dynamic running back. Personally I love the Barry Sanders type. Size not being the thing, but elusiveness! Yeah I know, guys who avoid hits get called "soft". But there are good backs with that style and they compliment the bruiser type of back so well. I so wish we could get another Shaun Alexander type, someone Sanders like, or like Minnesota's old guy Robert Smith.

Guys who can gain yards, avoid the worst contact, are guys who stay healthy.

I'd really like to see us have both types of runners. I hear this draft has a lot of talent at the position, so who do we want?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Nobody talks about it, but we need a dynamic running back.

Other than the three pages of Bijan Robinson thread on this page?

I'd be shocked if we didn't draft a RB by round 3. So yes, I think Pete and John know it's important to get another young bell cow RB to spell Walker and keep him healthy.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I don't think we should avoid smaller guys though either. I think that it's BDS that small guys can't be good and durable. Sanders himself proved it. It's about the ability to get away from tacklers. I also favor having multiple "star caliber" backs. When you don't have to have a guy play every down, and you still have to position covered with another capable guy, that wins games.

I love Geno, and I believe against most teams, he can play a passing game that can win on it's own. Against the tougher defenses though we'll need that running game.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Yeah we've talked a lot about Bijan and I think everyone understands its a need, but since they aren't likely to pick a RB in the first two picks its not as exciting.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Other than the three pages of Bijan Robinson thread on this page?

I'd be shocked if we didn't draft a RB by round 3. So yes, I think Pete and John know it's important to get another young bell cow RB to spell Walker and keep him healthy.
Yeah, but chances are unless we reach, we won't land Robinson, so who besides him?

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
It's weird how not that long ago 1st round running back selections were not uncommon. Now no one wants to take a running back in the 1st round.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We just have a lot of recent history of RBs getting banged up and not playing games during a bunch of the initial rookie contract. Then the ones who have been signed to good second contracts have nearly always finished them poorly. That's an argument for drafting RBs often but not too early.

This is also a very deep RB draft. Jahmyr Gibbs can be found mid-second round in a number of recent mocks and he has decent comparisons to Alvin Kamara.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah, but chances are unless we reach, we won't land Robinson, so who besides him?

I don't know enough about the RB's in the draft to make an educated guess.

But I assume half of these dudes ranked from 4-12 would probably be a safe bet.

chris98251

Reaction score
Go back and look at Sanders, he was short of stature but not small, his legs and thighs were very thick as his trunk to shoulders. He had quick twitch reactions and a crab step that was beyond description.

Walter Payton is another one, he had great vision, but who took the offense is the best defense approach and would deliver a hit instead of taking one. He never had a real serious injury either.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Most underrated need is WR3, to be honest - both as a current need and a need to begin replacing Locketts production as he ages.

But I agree, they need a dynamic complementary back. I like Roschon Johnson for this role.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
most underrated need BY FAR is RG. phil haynes is bad, like really bad. C/RG play last year diminished geno and ken walker and nearly derailed the whole offense the 2nd half of the season. yet nobody has us drafting a RG in the first 4 rounds. absurd.

whopping 57.1 pff grade for phil haynes if the eye test wasn't enough for you

CPHawk

Reaction score
It's weird how not that long ago 1st round running back selections were not uncommon. Now no one wants to take a running back in the 1st round.
They last like 3-4 years, then get to hurt. A few last but a long career for a RB is about 6-7 years.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
They last like 3-4 years, then get to hurt. A few last but a long career for a RB is about 6-7 years.
That's why a Shaun Alexander type is so special. True a guy like that does need to be at 100% to be effective, but those guys are often good for 6, sometimes 10 years if later on the become more of a role player. That running style, the elusive, avoiding big hits kind of guys are worth the money (first contract) you just wanna be damn careful extending them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Isn't Walker about Barry Sanders height and build ect?
I get we need a smash mouth back but don't go for another elusive type
or do we?
Maybe it doesn't matter so just chuck them out there till one gets hot I guess.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
most underrated need BY FAR is RG. phil haynes is bad, like really bad. C/RG play last year diminished geno and ken walker and nearly derailed the whole offense the 2nd half of the season. yet nobody has us drafting a RG in the first 4 rounds. absurd.

whopping 57.1 pff grade for phil haynes if the eye test wasn't enough for you
I agree I couldn't believe how bad the C spot was and RG was weak.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nobody talks about it, but we need a dynamic running back. Personally I love the Barry Sanders type. Size not being the thing, but elusiveness! Yeah I know, guys who avoid hits get called "soft". But there are good backs with that style and they compliment the bruiser type of back so well. I so wish we could get another Shaun Alexander type, someone Sanders like, or like Minnesota's old guy Robert Smith.

Guys who can gain yards, avoid the worst contact, are guys who stay healthy.

I'd really like to see us have both types of runners. I hear this draft has a lot of talent at the position, so who do we want?
Only on dot negative.

Um.........we have Kenneth Walker III :rolleyes:

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Only on dot negative.

Um.........we have Kenneth Walker III :rolleyes:
One back is not enough. He didn't even play the full season! Back is a place you really need a one two punch, and an up and comer behind that that can take some of the load as need be. It's not a position where one guy can carry the load. Unless you get a high end freak of a pro bowl caliber back, you still need more than one capable runner.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. He is MORE than capable. We don't need a beast to add to our RB room, he is a beast. We need a complimentary back.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I would actually draft Jahmyr Gibbs with the #37 pick. The reason why I love him is he can actually be a slot WR if he wanted. He ran a 4.37 or whatever it was. Dude is fast and quick. Get him in space with screens, run the end-arounds, jets/orbits. I think he can play RB and WR. He can develop into that 3rd or 4th option for the QB.

I don't think the team heads this way but it makes so much sense in my head. I would also double dip later in the draft with a hammer like Chris Rodriguez, Roschon Johnson, or DeWayne McBride.