The offense.. or lack there of

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dang, I was thinking Atlanta :?
But yeah, the Rams have some damn good WR's. Austin really hasn't done crap since his big contract. But the other guys are flat out ballers.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jtfmc35 said:
Ambrose83":2jtfmc35 said:
Ok.. let's see.. we have the better qb, tight end, receivers and the lines are a wash.. they have the better rb.... that's it... and way better offensive PLAY CALLING

We do not have better WR's

Baldwin and P-Rich? Jimmy Graham? C'mon. Surely I could at least persuade you that they're two of the best WR groups in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2z1ad0of said:
Sgt. Largent":2z1ad0of said:
Ambrose83":2z1ad0of said:
Ok.. let's see.. we have the better qb, tight end, receivers and the lines are a wash.. they have the better rb.... that's it... and way better offensive PLAY CALLING

Baldwin and P-Rich? Jimmy Graham? C'mon. Surely I could at least persuade you that they're two of the best WR groups in the league.

Graham's a TE, and yeah I'd put Baldwin up against anyone, but the entire corp? I'd have to give the edge to the Rams.

My point is I'm not buying the narrative of some posters on this thread that we're getting less out of our offense with more talent cause..........................wait for it.........................Bevell!

Nope. Rams have a superior O-line, WR corp and a top 5 RB in Gurley. They have amazing balance, that right now because of our terrible O-line and RB situation isn't on the same level.

I'm not absolving Bevell, but this thread was created to prove a point that doesn't exist.

OP
OP
Ambrose83

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dn7jcnr said:
MontanaHawk05":3dn7jcnr said:
Sgt. Largent":3dn7jcnr said:
Ambrose83":3dn7jcnr said:

Graham's a TE, and yeah I'd put Baldwin up against anyone, but the entire corp? I'd have to give the edge to the Rams.

My point is I'm not buying the narrative of some posters on this thread that we're getting less out of our offense with more talent cause..........................wait for it.........................Bevell!

Nope. Rams have a superior O-line, WR corp and a top 5 RB in Gurley. They have amazing balance, that right now because of our terrible O-line and RB situation isn't on the same level.

I'm not absolving Bevell, but this thread was created to prove a point that doesn't exist.

And yet they had all that last year too.. and were.. wait for it... terrible.. what changed ? Coaching ...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":366p5jt1 said:
scutterhawk":366p5jt1 said:
scrummymustard":366p5jt1 said:
Siouxhawk":366p5jt1 said:
If you just watch football in the surface and need a scapegoat, that's the illogical conclusion one could draw. A closer look would reveal that is rubbish. The mighty Rams are just 1 game in front of us and since we play them again nothing in our division is close to being settled. We also will have the tiebreaker if we beat them again, a home game I believe. So tell your friend that his team has improved, but we still rule the roost and our offense will put more points on the board in head-to-head matchups.

Come on man, it’s hilarious that you can’t even have an open discussion on the topic. All of his points were not “rubbish”. The Rams made a coaching change, signed a few players and went from last in the league in ppg (14ppg in 2016) to 1st (32.9 ppg in 2017) in less than a year. Imagine if this team even gained a 7ppg increase? The hawks would be extremely tough to beat.

At the end of the day, it’s Pete’s system, but man, I get why a lot of people on here have you muted and I’m not even on the side of firing your guy. I do, like most, want a philosophy change though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, so if Sioux doesn't AGREE with Bevell bashers, he should be "Muted"?
If the Seahawks are HEALTHY across the board, they not only compete with ANY TEAM, but have BEATEN all of them.
I'm not saying that we couldn't do better with a few changes in Coaching, but most here are letting their bias against Darrell Bevell, Tom Cable, and Pete Carroll, for sticking with the guys that helped him formulate the winningest Seahawks team EVER, and now Y'all want "Change".
Now, COULD they maybe improve with a couple of Coaching changes?, no argument, BUT, they've already proven that, even on a Road Game, a healthy Seahawks can be Coached up by Carroll, Bevell, Cable & Richards, to beat a healthy Rams.
The Rams are HEALTHIER, than most the Teams in the NFC at this juncture, so that gives them the advantage FOR NOW, it might just be me, but I sure as hell wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what Pete Carroll & his Coaches can dial up.

They were healthy last year, never were better then 7-9 with fisher... yet year 1 with Mcvay and they are 7-2 And have already scored more pts then they did last season... and you think it's not coaching ?
You damned straight, it most certainly IS Coaching, but it IS NOT JUST COACHING.
Both Bevell & Cable were the Coaches that HELPED Carroll & Co WIN the Seahawks FIRST EVER Super Bowl, and were also THERE when they went a SECOND TIME the following Year.
I've already said that a change in Coaching MIGHT help them rejuvenate Coaching philosophy, but that change ALONE is not a given for success, AND, even though you don't believe that the Seahawks Coaching are getting the most, or best of play out of the players, you're ignoring the fact that they have been IN the thick of competition, Year after Year, and going to the playoffs on a REGULAR BASIS.
Oh and, the Seahawks vaunted LOB (minus Browner) Secondary were ALL playing INJURED in our second Super Bowl appearance, and I believe that THAT was the reason Brady was able to recoup the 10 point deficit.....You could tell by Bill Billicheck & Tom Brady's shocked expressions, that they were LUCKY to have won that game.
Bevell made ONE CONTROVERSIAL call in that game, how many mistakes did our 'D' Coaches make with our high dollar, high octane Defense in that contest.
We lose some games to some very good Coached Teams, but we also WIN some games from some of those SAME good Coached Teams......"On Any Given Sunday"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":e8eo4jcq said:
Exittium":e8eo4jcq said:
Bevell and possibly Cable is to this offense what Fisher was to the rams.

Literally what my rams fan buddy said.
Well there you have it...Your "Rams Fan Buddy" must have some inside info, and knows way better than you or I & even Pete Carroll do. SMH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35jkosep said:
Ambrose83":35jkosep said:
The rams overnight resurgence is concrete proof of the difference competent play calling and talent utilization can produce. Color me frustrated.

I'd say the FA signing of Whitworth played as big of a role as anything for the Rams this season. He's been an outright stud on their line.

The same Whitworth that people didnt want around here because he was to old and expensive. Yeah, that difference maker.

To the people that thinks the offense is ok and we should follow the current path moving forward,,,, :34853_doh: . Its all to common for this offense to do do nothing for entire halfs and even longer. Seems like the rare time the offense gets moving is when it absolutely has to and the normal scheme gets tossed out the window. Yeah, there's issues there and its more than just not being able to run the ball. Its a coaching staff that refuses to adapt to the current players strengths and continues to impose a philosophy and scheme that they want ran regardless if we have the players capable of doing so or not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ambrose83":242lywee said:
And yet they had all that last year too.. and were.. wait for it... terrible.. what changed ? Coaching ...

For sure McVay and his new staff has made a difference, but the Rams also added what like 17-20 new players through FA and the draft? Guys like Whitworth and Watkins, paying big dividends.

I'm just not buying what your'e selling Ambrose. Sorry.

The Rams are younger, stronger, faster, HEALTHIER, with a much easier schedule so far...................AND now a staff in place that can finally work with Goff and the offense.

Your entire premise is they have less talent and their coaches are getting more out of them. That's laughable. They're stacked with talent.

OP
OP
Ambrose83

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28ute28y said:
Ambrose83":28ute28y said:

For sure McVay and his new staff has made a difference, but the Rams also added what like 17-20 new players through FA and the draft? Guys like Whitworth and Watkins, paying big dividends.

The Rams are younger, stronger, faster, HEALTHIER, with a much easier schedule so far...................AND now a staff in place that can finally work with Goff and the offense.

Your entire premise is they have less talent and their coaches are getting more out of them. That's laughable. They're stacked with talent.

They brought in a few guys, the core is still what fisher had to work with... and the difference is night and day... the few people they brought in does not make this huge of a difference.. period... coaching does and it isn't even close . That same talented rams team never was better then 7-9... spin it anyway you want... watch the games, see how Mcvay uses the strengths on offense and calls plays to do so.. just watch the second half of the cowboys game.. I wish our offense and oc could do half of that in a game .

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i6ilama said:
Ambrose83":3i6ilama said:

Multiple film guys have claimed that the offense is night and day different as far as schemes go and Fisher and his offense get clowned constantly. Obviously adding a couple of lineman helped but I truly think Fisher and his staff ran that offense into the ground. I'm also of the opinion that Pete/Bevell are limiting our offense as well and I'm a huge Carroll fan. So I'm probably a little biased, but coaching can play a huge difference.

Tinymac2

Reaction score
Wasn't Goff a rookie that had trouble processing last year and only played a handful of games? Are you really avdocating we start firing coaches mid season because he's progressing as the # 2 draft selection is expected too?

ducks41468

Reaction score
Regardless of where our offense is ranked, what I've observed from watching the games is that the offense simply looks completely ineffective for large portions of pretty much every game.

And our ranking is as high as it is because we've played probably the easiest schedule in the league in terms of the opposing defenses we've faced. Tennessee is 23rd, Arizona is 25th, Washington is 26th, SF 27th, NYG 28th, Houston 31st, and Indy is 32nd. And then GB is 19th. And the offense has looked like hot ass against all of these teams except the worst two defenses in the entire league. The offense is broken and gets worse every year despite plenty of investment on that side of the ball.

OP
OP
Ambrose83

Ambrose83

Reaction score
austinslater25":13k2i3uq said:
Sgt. Largent":13k2i3uq said:
Ambrose83":13k2i3uq said:

Multiple film guys have claimed that the offense is night and day different as far as schemes go and Fisher and his offense get clowned constantly. Obviously adding a couple of lineman helped but I truly think Fisher and his staff ran that offense into the ground. I'm also of the opinion that Pete/Bevell are limiting our offense as well and I'm a huge Carroll fan. So I'm probably a little biased, but coaching can play a huge difference.

Don't let facts get in the way here.. no room for that .

OP
OP
Ambrose83

Ambrose83

Reaction score
ducks41468":1df9luo3 said:
Regardless of where our offense is ranked, what I've observed from watching the games is that the offense simply looks completely ineffective for large portions of pretty much every game.

And our ranking is as high as it is because we've played probably the easiest schedule in the league in terms of the opposing defenses we've faced. Tennessee is 23rd, Arizona is 25th, Washington is 26th, SF 27th, NYG 28th, Houston 31st, and Indy is 32nd. And then GB is 19th. And the offense has looked like hot ass against all of these teams except the worst two defenses in the entire league. The offense is broken and gets worse every year despite plenty of investment on that side of the ball.

Same thing I'm seeing... but hey.. we can't possibly do better...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":56jmijcd said:
Sgt. Largent":56jmijcd said:
Ambrose83":56jmijcd said:

For sure, and I didn't say coaches had nothing to do with it. In fact, I give McVay and his staff major credit.

But to say that would be the case here? I'm not buying it, because;

1. Our O-line, RB corp and WR corp isn't as good
2. When our O-line, RB and WR corp WAS good 4-5 years ago? Top 5 offense.

I'm not a Bevell lover, I often think he should be replaced just to get some new ideas and energy on the offensive side of the ball. But would that equate to a high powered high scoring offense? Idk.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tell me how well our offense works per design.

Then tell me how well it works when Wilson goes improve.

Our big plays and gainers are the improve not what Bevell designed. Our rankings will be total offense and not distinguish the difference either. but if you have eyes and watch the games you can see the issues.

Chapow

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2rwf0o6d said:
ducks41468":2rwf0o6d said:

Same thing I'm seeing... but hey.. we can't possibly do better...

I don't think I saw anyone say we can't possibly do better. What some of us have said, repeatedly, is that while there is certainly room for improvement, it's not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":36rki7y1 said:

Our big plays and gainers are the improve not what Bevell designed. Our rankings will be total offense and not distinguish the difference either. but if you have eyes and watch the games you can see the issues.

Well, unless your head is buried in the sand at least. ;)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":1t3ywhlt said:

Our big plays and gainers are the improve not what Bevell designed.

That's too difficult to prove. If you follow the right national analysts on Twitter (Andy Benoit is a good one), you'll find Bevell is putting up decent concepts.

But it isn't consistent, and again, it's as if two different playbooks are being used. That's where Wilson struggles, not when he's "not improvising". He's made a lot of plays from the pocket in the last three years when the right options are put in front of him (and when he uses them).

I'm coming to the conclusion that Bevell is a decent OC, but that Wilson needs better than decent.