The Official I Love Bevell Thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":vrco9o75 said:
hawkfan68":vrco9o75 said:
If not for two poorly played games by the offense, this Seahawk team would be 6-0. Yes, they played poorly against the Dolphins too but they were good enough to win that game. Arizona and Rams have arguably the best defenses that the Seahawks have faced thus far but they are 0-1-1 against them. They play the Bills and Eagles in a few weeks, both teams with very good defenses. How the the offense fares against those teams will be telling. Do they continue this path of pathetic play or are they back to the late season 2015 Seahawk mode.

Defense for its part has played exceptionally well in each game (90%) of the season so far. They held the Rams to 3 FGs (9 points) in their loss. If the Seahawks offense could have punched it in once when they were in the redzone, they would have won that game. They were within the 5 yard line and they couldn't punch it in.

Under Bevell they have been atrocious in converting TDs in the redzone. That has been a constant throughout his tenure as the Seahawks OC. Before anyone makes the RW is short excuse, yeah he was that height when he joined the team 5 years ago. How come no adjustments to account for that? Consistently bad red zone production.

According to this site- teamrankings - the Seahawks have been average at best in the redzone scoring percentage (TDs only) since Bevell has been OC (2011 and on).Many seasons they have been below average in that regard. Their best year in this category was 2013. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2016-10-30
One of the reasons our red zone production is down is because we've led the league in explosive-play touchdowns the last 4 years, meaning fewer chances inside the opponent's 20. Wouldn't you take that trade off?

Also, since we have led the league in surrendering the fewest points the last 4 years, we're accepting of kicking a field goal than most as those points go further for us than any team in the league.

None of what you posted justifies their piss poor efficiency when they are in red zone. Whether they lead in explosive plays has nothing to do with what they do when they are in the red zone. Settling for FG when they should have scored a TD has bit them once this season already. The Rams game. Big difference between settling for 3 pts and scoring 7pts.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":6z8jrj83 said:
WindCityHawk":6z8jrj83 said:
What we talk about when we talk about "Good OCs:"

Josh McDaniels - Takes over the Denver Broncos led by Tim Tebow and wins a playoff game by playing to his team's strengths and exploiting his opponent's weaknesses. Good OC.

Darrell Bevell - Leads an offense starring Pro Bowlers Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham, and Doug Baldwin to 25th in the league in offensive TDs. Not a good OC.

This is not rocket science.

You left out McDanials was busted cheating just like when he was in NE. Oh and got ran out of town.

Maybe you haven't heard yet but you can't win in the first quarter so ignoring all the success Bevell has had and only pointing to this season so far while again ignoring all the injuries, penalties and O-line really just looks dumb.

But you neglected the sharp point of my argument: Bevell has this star-studded offense ranked 25th out of 32 teams in offensive TDs. He's spinning straw out of gold. This offense is worth LESS than the sum of its parts.

And it's not just this year. For the last three years it seems to take him eight games, if at all, to pull his head out.

How anyone can continue to defend the guy is beyond me. The only real argument I keep seeing is the team's winning record, which is the cumulative effort of over a hundred people. Look at what he's responsible for--play-calling, game planning. It's been awful for years. The team is succeeding DESPITE him, mostly thanks to the indomitable will of Russ and, for years, Marshawn, two guys famous for making something out of nothing, because that's all Bevell ever gave them to work with--nothing.

I'm not happy with you either, right now Cable! Haha

RichNhansom

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":2uvasuts said:
RichNhansom":2uvasuts said:
WindCityHawk":2uvasuts said:

Josh McDaniels - Takes over the Denver Broncos led by Tim Tebow and wins a playoff game by playing to his team's strengths and exploiting his opponent's weaknesses. Good OC.

Darrell Bevell - Leads an offense starring Pro Bowlers Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham, and Doug Baldwin to 25th in the league in offensive TDs. Not a good OC.

You left out McDanials was busted cheating just like when he was in NE. Oh and got ran out of town.

Maybe you haven't heard yet but you can't win in the first quarter so ignoring all the success Bevell has had and only pointing to this season so far while again ignoring all the injuries, penalties and O-line really just looks dumb.

But you neglected the sharp point of my argument: Bevell has this star-studded offense ranked 25th out of 32 teams in offensive TDs. He's spinning straw out of gold. This offense is worth LESS than the sum of its parts.

And it's not just this year. For the last three years it seems to take him eight games, if at all, to pull his head out.

How anyone can continue to defend the guy is beyond me. The only real argument I keep seeing is the team's winning record, which is the cumulative effort of over a hundred people. Look at what he's responsible for--play-calling, game planning. It's been awful for years. The team is succeeding DESPITE him, mostly thanks to the indomitable will of Russ and, for years, Marshawn, two guys famous for making something out of nothing, because that's all Bevell ever gave them to work with--nothing.

Alright, you convinced me. Wilson sucks.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3k5elhew said:
Siouxhawk":3k5elhew said:
hawkfan68":3k5elhew said:
If not for two poorly played games by the offense, this Seahawk team would be 6-0. Yes, they played poorly against the Dolphins too but they were good enough to win that game. Arizona and Rams have arguably the best defenses that the Seahawks have faced thus far but they are 0-1-1 against them. They play the Bills and Eagles in a few weeks, both teams with very good defenses. How the the offense fares against those teams will be telling. Do they continue this path of pathetic play or are they back to the late season 2015 Seahawk mode.

Defense for its part has played exceptionally well in each game (90%) of the season so far. They held the Rams to 3 FGs (9 points) in their loss. If the Seahawks offense could have punched it in once when they were in the redzone, they would have won that game. They were within the 5 yard line and they couldn't punch it in.

Under Bevell they have been atrocious in converting TDs in the redzone. That has been a constant throughout his tenure as the Seahawks OC. Before anyone makes the RW is short excuse, yeah he was that height when he joined the team 5 years ago. How come no adjustments to account for that? Consistently bad red zone production.

According to this site- teamrankings - the Seahawks have been average at best in the redzone scoring percentage (TDs only) since Bevell has been OC (2011 and on).Many seasons they have been below average in that regard. Their best year in this category was 2013. https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2016-10-30
One of the reasons our red zone production is down is because we've led the league in explosive-play touchdowns the last 4 years, meaning fewer chances inside the opponent's 20. Wouldn't you take that trade off?

Also, since we have led the league in surrendering the fewest points the last 4 years, we're accepting of kicking a field goal than most as those points go further for us than any team in the league.

None of what you posted justifies their piss poor efficiency when they are in red zone. Whether they lead in explosive plays has nothing to do with what they do when they are in the red zone. Settling for FG when they should have scored a TD has bit them once this season already. The Rams game. Big difference between settling for 3 pts and scoring 7pts.
This season hasn't played out, so I'm not looking at those numbers yet. But I don't know why you can't see why our coaching staff is more willing to take the 3 than many other teams. The direct correlation is because we surrender the fewest points than any team out there, so the 3 we get from a field goal goes that much farther. I'm sure the mantra handed down from Pete is to be less riskier in choosing a play in the red zone as opposed to getting the sure 3. It's just how we're built.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":4bqui0t8 said:
RichNhansom":4bqui0t8 said:
WindCityHawk":4bqui0t8 said:

Thread winner right there, IMHO! ^^^ :2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
What a negative ending to a positive OP beginning.

Such a stark rejection of positive programs at work at the VMAC.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":33eecylk said:
hawkfan68":33eecylk said:
Siouxhawk":33eecylk said:
hawkfan68":33eecylk said:

This season hasn't played out, so I'm not looking at those numbers yet. But I don't know why you can't see why our coaching staff is more willing to take the 3 than many other teams. The direct correlation is because we surrender the fewest points than any team out there, so the 3 we get from a field goal goes that much farther. I'm sure the mantra handed down from Pete is to be less riskier in choosing a play in the red zone as opposed to getting the sure 3. It's just how we're built.

How did Pete and Bevell's mantra of being less riskier in the red zone work out at the end of SB 49?

Your whole argument is based on trying to justify our cruddy red zone TD % as opposed to addressing why it has remained so poor. Why hasn't Graham been targeted as a first read target in the RZ more often-the way McDaniels uses Gronk?

Any other OC in the NFL would be designing specific routes for Graham and throwing to him in the RZ regardless if he's double-teamed. Yet our OC likes to get either ridoculously cute or not use his obvious strengths.

And for the life of me, why the hell would an OC call a RO with a QB who's so hobbled he arguably shouldn't even be on the field? What kind of coach calls a play for Tuakufu to go in motion and be split wide? Why would anyone persist with going empty backfield, 4 or 5 wide with a horrific line? Bubble screens to Walters 2 years ago? These are just a few examples of an imbecilic OC out of touch with reality.

Marshawn flipped him off for a reason.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Many of us have answered your questions about Bevell's successes thoroughly throughout this thread and the many like it in this forum. You can search for your queries there.

I like how he orchestrates our offense. Many others seem to share that sentiment. Pete and the organization share that sentiment. You obviously think there could be someone out there better. You have your right to express that disenchantment.

Right now most of the league would love to be in our shoes with a 1 1/2 game lead in the division and an eyelash out of having the best record in the NFC. I have the utmost confidence in our team, players and front office to once again make a deep foray into the playoffs and look forward to the excitement that comes with all of that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3czn45k1 said:
How did Pete and Bevell's mantra of being less riskier in the red zone work out at the end of SB 49?

Your whole argument is based on trying to justify our cruddy red zone TD % as opposed to addressing why it has remained so poor. Why hasn't Graham been targeted as a first read target in the RZ more often-the way McDaniels uses Gronk?

Any other OC in the NFL would be designing specific routes for Graham and throwing to him in the RZ regardless if he's double-teamed. Yet our OC likes to get either ridoculously cute or not use his obvious strengths.

And for the life of me, why the hell would an OC call a RO with a QB who's so hobbled he arguably shouldn't even be on the field? What kind of coach calls a play for Tuakufu to go in motion and be split wide? Why would anyone persist with going empty backfield, 4 or 5 wide with a horrific line? Bubble screens to Walters 2 years ago? These are just a few examples of an imbecilic OC out of touch with reality.

Marshawn flipped him off for a reason.

Great points. San Francisco has the worst offense in the NFL. Yet they are more efficient scoring TDs than the Seahawks are in the red zone.

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3ocz69iw said:
Many of us have answered your questions about Bevell's successes thoroughly throughout this thread and the many like it in this forum. You can search for your queries there.

I like how he orchestrates our offense. Many others seem to share that sentiment. Pete and the organization share that sentiment. You obviously think there could be someone out there better. You have your right to express that disenchantment.

Right now most of the league would love to be in our shoes with a 1 1/2 game lead in the division and an eyelash out of having the best record in the NFC. I have the utmost confidence in our team, players and front office to once again make a deep foray into the playoffs and look forward to the excitement that comes with all of that.

Yeah the defense covers a lot for the offense and we win despite the lack of red zone success. I look at it this way, if I was dating walking to the door every night and a peck on the cheek would be considered a success in your book, you never get to the red zone and or score.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":21bffszn said:
Siouxhawk":21bffszn said:

Yeah the defense covers a lot for the offense and we win despite the lack of red zone success. I look at it this way, if I was dating walking to the door every night and a peck on the cheek would be considered a success in your book, you never get to the red zone and or score.
But we have scored in the top 10 the last 4 years. That's the fatal flaw in your argument. So yeah, lots of happy endings.

randomation

Reaction score
The day he threw Ricardo under the bus after going with a special teams ace rather than our workhorse back or even just a jump ball to Matthews is the day I wanted him gone. I could even forgive the no run I can't forgive throwing a player under the bus who you put in a bad position. Could have been stronger to the ball /spit

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
randomation":29f3yh10 said:
The day he threw Ricardo under the bus after going with a special teams ace rather than our workhorse back or even just a jump ball to Matthews is the day I wanted him gone. I could even forgive the no run I can't forgive throwing a player under the bus who you put in a bad position. Could have been stronger to the ball /spit
I'm sure Ricardo was fine with it, so it's weird you weren't. He refreshingly answered a question without antiseptic coach speak. You must prefer that.

randomation

Reaction score
No he made the call he should have owned it. It was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen a coach do. It was a stupid call not to pass but to call that pass. You have one of the most dynamic QBs in the league and a tall ass dude catching everything you throw his way. Roll Russ out and put it where only Matthews can catch it. Don't call a freaking no read pass against a physical D thst knows you like that idiocy and don't put it on the shoulders of the guy who is on the team because he is a great gunner. One of the most pathetic dodges of responsibility i have ever seen.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
randomation":iwrn447e said:
No he made the call he should have owned it. It was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen a coach do. It was a stupid call not to pass but to call that pass. You have one of the most dynamic QBs in the league and a tall ass dude catching everything you throw his way. Roll Russ out and put it where only Matthews can catch it. Don't call a freaking no read pass against a physical D thst knows you like that idiocy and don't put it on the shoulders of the guy who is on the team because he is a great gunner. One of the most pathetic dodges of responsibility i have ever seen.
It was 6 inches from being a touchdown, Nothing wrong with the playcall or the post game answer. I guess it's easy to be a revisionist.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Pete's so loyal that the only way we're ever getting rid of Bevell is if he gets a head coaching position elsewhere. I have such hope every off-season, but it's always our other coaching staff that are poached. I think that says something about how Bevell's thought of league-wide. He just gets skipped over.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":2hh3qy3i said:
Pete's so loyal that the only way we're ever getting rid of Bevell is if he gets a head coaching position elsewhere. I have such hope every off-season, but it's always our other coaching staff that are poached. I think that says something about how Bevell's thought of league-wide. He just gets skipped over.

I've been arguing the same thing. Everyone else in the league know it's Russ (and Marshawn before that) leading this offense to victories, not Bevell.

Latest posts