The Pete Carroll era is over

vin.couve12

Reaction score
A friend of mine joked about drunken, crying masturbation one time.

Great thread, by the way. It reminded me of that joke.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
So, HansGruber throws a grenade and runs for cover to witness the carnage... where is he to discuss his own thread?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Imagine having the best QB in the history of your franchise, and he's in the middle of his prime, and you're writing off the team in March. Imagine that. :roll:

toffee

Reaction score
Taking pages from the 9ers:

Harbaugh was deemed done and fans wanted him out after an 8-8 season. The rest was history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2snjfhc0 said:
Imagine having the best QB in the history of your franchise, and he's in the middle of his prime, and you're writing off the team in March. Imagine that. :roll:

What exactly do you expect of the team this season? We rode Wilson's coattails last season and it didn't work. There was way more talent across the board than there will be this season. Add the Rams and Niners getting better and the outlook isn't real bright. Its a rebuilding season and you act like there's playoff or even Super Bowl aspirations.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I'm not saying we're going to the Superbowl. We might not even make the playoffs this year. But I'm not going to be a Debbie Downer either and say the season, yet alone the whole Pete Carroll era is over either. No matter how it looks right now, there's a whole lotta time before the games start. And I'm not going to write everything off in March.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3ilrp54t said:
I'm not saying we're going to the Superbowl. We might not even make the playoffs this year. But I'm not going to be a Debbie Downer either and say the season, yet alone the whole Pete Carroll era is over either. No matter how it looks right now, there's a whole lotta time before the games start. And I'm not going to write everything off in March.

I agree it's way to soon to evaluate this team. Personally i'm looking forward to seeing a younger team with some new players on both sides of the ball. This rebuild was going to happen at some point my only real issue is we shouldn't be quite this bad off they can't hose another draft. They must come out of this draft with something or they really will be in trouble. You have the 18th pick make it count Seattle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":yejcnnwr said:
KitsapGuy":yejcnnwr said:

What exactly do you expect of the team this season? We rode Wilson's coattails last season and it didn't work. There was way more talent across the board than there will be this season. Add the Rams and Niners getting better and the outlook isn't real bright. Its a rebuilding season and you act like there's playoff or even Super Bowl aspirations.

Not Writing off the team in March is the same as Super Bowl?

Do you feel better after your extropolating rant?

The impatience on here is equaled only by the outward fretting.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":31avqxmf said:

This was in response to the original post, nothing more. :177692:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":329tj4h6 said:
KitsapGuy":329tj4h6 said:

This was in response to the original post, nothing more. :177692:

Was the response to yours I thought was teeth gassing nonsense.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":19nuffx8 said:
pittpnthrs":19nuffx8 said:
KitsapGuy":19nuffx8 said:

What exactly does writing off a team mean then? Obviously there must be a specific definition for the term that i'm missing due to how you responded. The goal of any team is to win the Super Bowl. If you don't believe they can obtain that, is that writing them off? Playoffs? 8 wins? Regardless, the team has cut ties with pro bowlers and future HoF's and replaced them with day old bread discount players. Not sure how somebody can harbor visions of grandeur this season with those type of changes. Very few Hawk fans are expecting much this year and for good reason.

original poster

Reaction score
Pete Carroll will be here for, at the very least, 4 more years IMO. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if its considerably longer than that and would be shocked if it's less.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1z8nhtmf said:
Uncle Si":1z8nhtmf said:
pittpnthrs":1z8nhtmf said:
KitsapGuy":1z8nhtmf said:

What exactly does writing off a team mean then? Obviously there must be a specific definition for the term that i'm missing due to how you responded. The goal of any team is to win the Super Bowl. If you don't believe they can obtain that, is that writing them off? Playoffs? 8 wins? Regardless, the team has cut ties with pro bowlers and future HoF's and replaced them with day old bread discount players. Not sure how somebody can harbor visions of grandeur this season with those type of changes. Very few Hawk fans are expecting much this year and for good reason.

Boy you do love to assume a narrative. You’ve dragged this down to your level. Visions of grandeur? How stupidly condescending and ridiculously assumptive. Can’t see anywhere in my post I said anything about what to expect. But asserting that if the team isn’t expected to go to the super bowl it means they are rebuilding is nonsense. See 2017-18 Philadelphia Eagles. I’m sure you’ll find a reason that narrative can’t work as it doesn’t fit yours or “most Hawk fans”

Cut ties with future Hall of famers who no longer play at that level. Sherman Bennett Graham and Richardson were a part of a very underperforming team last year. I think “most Hawk” fans (dumb right?) who aren’t running around in a fit are excited to see how it plays out.

The whole narrative is as ridiculous as starting a thread called “Pete Carroll era is over” while he’s not only still the coach but clearly responsible for the direction of the team.

mistaowen

Reaction score
It's pretty clear what direction Pete is heading and it's not 'rebuilding'. You don't 'rebuild' with a franchise QB like Russell just entering his prime.

Offensive vs defensive salaries were the biggest gap in the NFL. Defensive stars are starting to get older and coming into third contracts which good teams don't typically give, if not at a discount.

Pete is getting closer to a 50/50 split on salaries and likely realized it's time to put some money back into the offense to help Russell out while also having faith in himself and coaches they can develop new young talent on defense. I'm guessing Shaq takes a big step forward and wouldn't be shocked if Jordan and Mingo solidify themselves as starters. Draft will likely be interior OL and RB early and then DB's who fit the scheme. Cutting Sherman (as much as I hated it) got 4 potential starters (Coleman, McDougald, Jordan, Mingo) a new contract and this type of roster churn on castaways is what got them to the SB. There's a vision here even if you don't think there is.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Last I checked, he's still the coach, and will be as long as he wants to. Not over until he decides it's over.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3vnne18p said:
Boy you do love to assume a narrative. You’ve dragged this down to your level. Visions of grandeur? How stupidly condescending and ridiculously assumptive. Can’t see anywhere in my post I said anything about what to expect. But asserting that if the team isn’t expected to go to the super bowl it means they are rebuilding is nonsense. See 2017-18 Philadelphia Eagles. I’m sure you’ll find a reason that narrative can’t work as it doesn’t fit yours or “most Hawk fans”

Cut ties with future Hall of famers who no longer play at that level. Sherman Bennett Graham and Richardson were a part of a very underperforming team last year. I think “most Hawk” fans (dumb right?) who aren’t running around in a fit are excited to see how it plays out.

The whole narrative is as ridiculous as starting a thread called “Pete Carroll era is over” while he’s not only still the coach but clearly responsible for the direction of the team.

As an informed and seemingly intelligent NFL fan, what do you expect this season? Having read a lot of your posts in different threads, I find that you do not believe the team is rebuilding right now, but i'm not sure what you would consider it. How can anybody be crucified for writing the team off with all the factors in place presently? The team is far less talented now than it was even last year while our main competitors have gotten even stronger. You cant ignore ABC logic sometimes. The people who do are the same people that refused to accept the team had been regressing for the past 3 years. Writing the team off means that some people dont expect the 2018 Seahawks to be very successful and thats just common sense. Also, common sense plays a part in understanding this thread and the OP's intentions. I cant speak for the OP, but I interpreted the thread as meaning the Pete Carroll era of being successful and the team being SB threats is over. I agree with that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thats a great question and I appreciate you asking it, instead of inferring it, much like you are doing with the OP's thread title.

Im not sure how intelligent i am. But i have concerns and I have hope. I also have the right mind to know that losing the players we have is not the end of the world and there is still plenty of time for the roster to take shape and whatever plan there is to be put into place.

I don't buy into the term "rebuilding" as to me it's pejorative for "starting over." I dont think that's what the Seahawks are doing. I think they have every intention of building the bridge while they cross it, meaning competing and building. Call it what you want. Nothing will be known until August.

ABC logic in football gets you so far. The Eagles were a 40-1 shot to win the Super Bowl. Nothing is certain and nothing is really known until the ball flies in the air.

Everyone saw the team regressing. People saw the moves that were to counter that regression along with the development of the QB and hoped for the best. Hasnt worked out that way. Not terrible, not great. This is the chance for that change.

What it looks like won't be known for some time, which is why i bristle and such affirmative statements about the team's future.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hlhudbq said:
Not over until he decides it's over.

It's over when the owner decides it over. That's no different here, if this team goes 5-11 over the next two years, believe me, Allen will decide it's over, not Pete.

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":xo929pzz said:
So, HansGruber throws a grenade and runs for cover to witness the carnage... where is he to discuss his own thread?

I'm currently in central Vietnam, riding through the country on a motorcycle (from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi). For the last few weeks, I've been hanging out in Danang and lounging on My Khe - easily one of the top 5 beaches in the world in my book. Then a drive tup the Hai Van Pass to Suoi Voi and Lang Co Beach (stunning) before rolling into the Bach Ma National Park a few hours ago. Haven't been thinking too much about this site, just checking to see who's left us lately. Did I mention that the Vietnamese are truly the kindest, friendliest people on earth, as a whole? And BBQ chicken feet are much better than they sound (also, I'll take a Tiger over a Corona any day).

But back to the point...

I do get a laugh from people saying Carroll hasn't been fired so the era isn't over. Short memories around here. The Holmgren era was over a few years before he was let go. And Mora was a lame duck from the get-go.

Latest posts