The Pete Carroll era is over

Chapow

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3fd6hihv said:
How can anybody be crucified for writing the team off with all the factors in place presently?

I think "crucified" is a little melodramatic, but to answer your question, because it's mid March. Free agency isn't even a week old and the draft is several weeks away. I would be concerned if the season started this Sunday and the roster looked exactly the same as it does today, but the season is over 5 months away. There is no doubt in my mind that the roster is going to change significantly between now and September.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Chapow":3ragqjme said:
pittpnthrs":3ragqjme said:
How can anybody be crucified for writing the team off with all the factors in place presently?

I think "crucified" is a little melodramatic, but to answer your question, because it's mid March. Free agency isn't even a week old and the draft is several weeks away. I would be concerned if the season started this Sunday and the roster looked exactly the same as it does today, but the season is over 5 months away. There is no doubt in my mind that the roster is going to change significantly between now and September.

A point lost to the allure of melodrama

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Chapow":35hi1lxt said:
pittpnthrs":35hi1lxt said:

People keep saying that its only March, but why does that even matter? We havent come close to replacing the talent we got rid of and we have no cash or leverage going forward to even attempt it. What are the expectations or even dreams for the upcoming months that would cause somebody to think its going to be fine and we'll compete? Trade ET for draft picks and free up cash? Release Avril for cash? What about Kam? Does anybody expect high dollar, big name, playmaking FA signings in the immediate future? Wishing and praying for a draft that gives us 3 or 4 high caliber players that are ready to be plugged in immediately? What else gets us to the level where we might be able to compete? Look, I realize the roster needed churned, but its going to take time for the pieces to fit together so we can make another run and I dont believe it will be with Pete's remaining tenure and definitely not next season. Optimism is great, but it gets in the way of realism a lot of the time. I just wonder how people thinking we might be fine this season comes to that conclusion.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2x6609wp said:
Semihoo already said the exact same thing 2 years ago..Everything ends including us at some point.

True. Almost everything I was told and then leaked here has come to pass.

I would love for Pete to have one more run at a SB during whatever time he has left in Seattle but that isn't likely.

There's always hope though.

Go Hawks!

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1763mfn7 said:
Chapow":1763mfn7 said:
pittpnthrs":1763mfn7 said:

People keep saying that its only March, but why does that even matter? We havent come close to replacing the talent we got rid of and we have no cash or leverage going forward to even attempt it. What are the expectations or even dreams for the upcoming months that would cause somebody to think its going to be fine and we'll compete? Trade ET for draft picks and free up cash? Release Avril for cash? What about Kam? Does anybody expect high dollar, big name, playmaking FA signings in the immediate future? Wishing and praying for a draft that gives us 3 or 4 high caliber players that are ready to be plugged in immediately? What else gets us to the level where we might be able to compete? Look, I realize the roster needed churned, but its going to take time for the pieces to fit together so we can make another run and I dont believe it will be with Pete's remaining tenure and definitely not next season. Optimism is great, but it gets in the way of realism a lot of the time. I just wonder how people thinking we might be fine this season comes to that conclusion.

I call it “whistling by the graveyard”.

I’m not a doom and gloom guy by any means but the facts are the facts. We’ve lost a crap ton of talent. We could lose more. We have several new coaches. We haven’t done anything, as far as new players, to address the most glaring and impactful weakness (IMO) on the team (OL, as if anyone wouldn’t know). We have a dog’s breakfast of running backs. We have 1, maybe 2 WR that we might be able to count on. We are signing unsung role players in free agency. Our draft capital is limited. The Rams were clearly stronger than Seattle last year. Does anyone not remember the 42-7 home beat down? When Seattle had to win? It appears the 49ers are on the rise.

So, concern as of today seems more than warranted. If PC and JS are able to have this team compete for a division title in 2018, it will be like finding the proverbial pony in the pile of you know what. If they do that, I’ll be the first to come on here and give them the deserved credit.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":wcs9xh5k said:
Chapow":wcs9xh5k said:
pittpnthrs":wcs9xh5k said:

You keep talking about all the talent we got rid of and I think a lot of people are confused by who you mean. You claim to be analytical in your thinking but have not correlated the value of all that “talent” against what they e been paid or what they are worth in a football field.

You continue to look at this from two different perspectives meant to support one narrative: 1. Everything the Hawks do is from a negative position 2. The players that have been moved on represent their highest worth.

Neither are remotely true.

So begs the question as to the point you are making or the point in challenging it

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":gpnm0ngx said:
IndyHawk":gpnm0ngx said:
Semihoo already said the exact same thing 2 years ago..Everything ends including us at some point.

I would love for Pete to have one more run at a SB during whatever time he has left in Seattle but that isn't likely.

Go Hawks!

Like Pete Carroll leaving if the team didn’t make the playoffs.

You nailed that one.

sdog1981

Reaction score
So if he is not fired then how can his ear be over?

Schadie001

Reaction score
Every good team goes through this in the salary cap era. We were very fortunate that Russel was so good so fast and this allowed us to spend a lot in other places while still under his rookie contract. Now tough choices had to be made as there isn’t as much money to go around. The people we let go all wanted to be here we just needed the cap space and could not afford them. The OP premise that vets walked is rediculous, Sherm called us back to see if we would match his offer. Does that sound like someone who thought Seattle was going down? You have to maintain some vets but reload ALL the time and this means someone who may have been a stud sees the door. No one could have anticipated that Kam and Avril would both suffer probable career ending injuries that would basically hose a good chunck of cap space leaving the team in a tough stop. But Pete is a great teacher and motivator, everyone is replaceable. It may take a year but give that our offense is basically in tact we are in a great position I think to Reload.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3g5wllan said:
IndyHawk":3g5wllan said:

Go Hawks!
I'm not happy that you turned out right for the most part but I'll eat the crow
when I was one of people who went against it back then.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2ejx2r8b said:
IndyHawk":2ejx2r8b said:
"Semihoo" lol. Nice one. :2thumbs:
Really I couldn't remember off the top of my head on the spelling..
Semi...What is the story with that name?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Aaaah, the I told you so stuff. Never gets old :?
You claim enough things, eventually something will come true. Unfortunately, there are many who seem to want to team to fail so they can tell us "See, I told you!"

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HansGruber":2me9mpxa said:
Hate to say it. Love Carroll and what he did for us. Best coach in Seahawks history. But this era is over.

Seahawks are in rebuild mode. There's only so much you can do with undrafted talent. Carroll will be here for 2 more seasons. Schneider will join him in the way out. Paul Allen will go after Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or some other college talent. Seahawks will not seriously contend until then.

The mass exodus of free agents speaks for itself. They want to win and know it won't happen here.

I've been trying to stay positive but honestly we all know what's up.

Breaks my heart to see all that talent go to waste.

The funniest thing about these type of posts is that Seahawk fans couldn't see this coming from a mile away.

They went all in last year and crapped out. This is the result of that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ltbbjk8 said:
They went all in last year and crapped out. This is the result of that.

The weird thing about how John and Pete managed last year is it was the first time in their tenure that their moves reeked of desperation. They were being the ones being taken advantage of, instead of the other way around.

Like, they KNEW they messed up bad in their drafts and free agent acquisitions in prior years, and had no choice but to go with a scorched earth go for broke this is our last chance at trying to win before the collapse of all these bad decisions come back to haunt us.

So while I don't have high hopes for 2018, it will be interesting to see if John and Pete have it in them to rebuild this roster one more time to make a SB run. Do they have, or even WANT to be here for another 3-4 years possibly to get this roster right?

Not so sure.

lukerguy

Reaction score
He's in a better spot... much better spot than when he took over.. he did it once with no resources at all... he has a franchise QB to start this time.. I think he'll be okay.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
IndyHawk":132sihps said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":132sihps said:
IndyHawk":132sihps said:
"Semihoo" lol. Nice one. :2thumbs:
Really I couldn't remember off the top of my head on the spelling..
Semi...What is the story with that name?
It comes from one of the local tribal languages, as I recall. I think the translation was something like "tireless fountain of elk droppings" or thereabouts.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":9b2l559l said:
Aaaah, the I told you so stuff. Never gets old :?
You claim enough things, eventually something will come true. Unfortunately, there are many who seem to want to team to fail so they can tell us "See, I told you!"

Except that there is a group of them that argued with the all in with Pete and it is going to be fine group two years, we were all labeled and called names, Debbie Downers, Doomers, Negative Nellies, Attention Whores, Contrarians etc, you being one of those.

We can provide Salt if y9ou need it for the Crow :)

Willyeye

Reaction score
Montana Hawk said, "And what exactly was bad about competing against Sherman? Worst case, they play like the depth they are and yield the corner position to...Sherman. Who's a Hall of Fame talent. I'm not seeing how the presence of vets is destructive to a team when the vets themselves are good."

My point was that it's not the best scenario for a rookie. No matter how hard they try and how much they risk their health, there is zero chance that they'd be able to beat out guys like Sherman, Thomas, Lynch, Chancellor, Wagner, Wright, Bennett, Avril, etc., even if they have a better training camp and preseason than those guys. It lowers a rookie's incentive to go all out.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Some wishful thinking on some 12's part I think. Pete Carroll is far from "DONE". His and John's asses are on the line if they don't figure some way to pull this train wreck we been watching happen the past two or three seasons out of the toilet.
It cracks me up that all these 12's that are calling for Pete and John's heads are the same ones that were crying for the heads of all the players they cut, and are now suddenly shocked by all the radical moves and decisions being made by them in trying to resurrect the Seahawks from the ashes.

I am no different than most, I have sat back and shook my head over some of the moves that have been made since seasons end, but as it is all coming back together, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Pete and John still have the magic touch and that we are in for some really crazy good stuff this year. Pete Carroll is singlehandedly the greatest thing that ever happened to the Seattle Seahawks, he was and is still a perfect fit for this team.

The Seahawks have been a crazy, wild, emotionally fueled and driven monster since it's inception, and everyone that has come to town and tried to kill that emotion and turn the team into a mechanical marvel has failed miserably. Those that did have even the slightest bit of success in that regard, transformed them into an entity that was boring as hell to watch play and who had only mediocre success in advancing anywhere in the division.

I have all the faith in the world that Pete and John are fully capable of getting the Seahawks back on track and leaders of their division, this year and not next. I recently hear these mutterings about how they are building a 2019 contender because they trimmed some of the fat to make this whole rebuild work. God knows I love Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman, and Sheldon Richardson and I hated to see them go anywhere, but reality is that Richard hasn't been able to be Richard for nearly two seasons now and I can pretty much guarantee you that had the Seahawks medical team been more optimistic about Richards recovery and ability to play at anywhere near where he was able to play previously, that he would still be a Seahawk.

Mike Bennett,was battling injuries the past two seasons as well, and was in pretty rough shape by the end of last season. As much as we love Mike, we were all asking ourselves how much he had left in the tank. Sheldon was a keeper, but he priced himself out of our market, by asking for too much, and while we tried the best we could to compete for him, his willingness to walk and sign with someone else said a whole bunch to me about his commitment to the hawks. I also hated to see Paul Richardson go, but like so many others on our roster, who were big assets to us, he was looking for more than we could part with and do what has to be done.

Jimmy Graham was set to go somewhere else, he played hard and much respect to him for all his efforts, but he really struggled to fit into our offense and again wanted more than what we were willing or able to pay him for his services. Jimmy will be happier and a better fit at Green Bay I think, at least until he discovers what the definition of freezing your ass off really means.

We have picked up some super talents in the Free Agency, and in Pete Carroll and John Schneider's tradition, they have brought in some serious sleepers that in my humble opinion, are perfect fits for the Seahawks and will put up numbers that far surpass what we would have gotten from Richard, Mike, Paul, Jimmy, Sheldon and some of the others that we have had to part company with.

We did good for ourselves in positioning for the Draft and will undoubtedly pickup some super stars this year from there. If they get a 1st and a 3rd for Earl Thomas III, and lose that cap hit, I would be okay with that too. Earl quickly forgot that the 12 had his back solid when he broke his leg and had to set out a season, and then came back and offered him more money than he could get anywhere in the league, he runs down the exit tunnel in Dallas, trying to cut a deal and abandon us at the end of last season. I'm not convinced his heart is in Seattle or with the hawks and I'm afraid that his play will likely reflect that this season, if we don't work a deal to send him home to Texas.

I think, in summary, that we all lost sight of the fact that John and Pete were surely put on notice right along with all the players and other coaches at the end of 2017-2018 season. They have a very short window of opportunity to try and turn this thing around and put the Seahawks back on the map in a serious way, or they are shopping for new homes as well. A lot of tough choices are having to be made and I assure you that they are hurting personally over the choices they are having to make as much or more than the coaches, players and fans are.

I think when we look back at the end of this upcoming season we will see that they made choices that benefited everyone involved and affected. Richard was a prime example, where John was working overtime trying to advise Him on negotiating his contract with the 49'rs. Richard was looking at it from an angle of trying to get John and Pete to offer him what the 49rs were as an alternative, where John was just trying to help Sherm not screw himself too bad in cutting a deal, which in my opinion he ended up doing anyway.

Eventually the Pete Carroll and John Schneider era will come to an end, but I still see another Super Bowl Championship left in their bag of tricks. We are at exactly the same place now that we were when they came to the Emerald City, and most didn’t think they would last or make a real difference back then either. I say don’t blink, the magic show is just about to begin part duo!

Go Seahawks!