The Seahawks better learn from the Mariners

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Perhaps.

I sat through a lot of years of losing.

Was really looking forward to a stretch like this.

Just really disappointing to not only watch it wither and die now, but see so much opportunity was squandered because the people who get paid for this stuff just kept making ridiculous blunders and terrible overreaches.

And now it is over.

Even though I think we all knew it was over a few years ago. Still sucks.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3eukte1z said:
Perhaps.

Just really disappointing to not only watch it wither and die now, but see so much opportunity was squandered because the people who get paid for this stuff just kept making ridiculous blunders and terrible overreaches.

And now it is over.

Me too! Every single one of them...just like many others here. When the highlight of the season was something like Efren catching a pass on a fake FG.

Is what it is. It's been over for 2+ years now really. Kam, Cliff, McDowell, and Sherm injury just etched it into stone.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Football is still the number 1 most popular sport in America.

As long as the Hawks remain "competitive" people will still support the team.

The Mariners haven't been "competitive" so their numbers reflect that.

Pretty much, "win more than you lose, and you'll remain relevant."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ek1dxky said:
sure how ripping the team apart now helps anything when our QB is actually in a productive window with if we got a good OC.

Cutting an injured player past his prime and trading another whose production is dipping is not "ripping the team apart"

In all your crystal ball moments you want to take credit for, do you also see hyperbole?

rjas77

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":195sgkck said:
There was a time that the Mariners were beloved here.

The stadium was packed. People had flags and T-Shirts.

Every business had the radio or TV turned to the games. And everyone stopped everything they were doing when Griffey was batting, Edgar was up or Randy was pitching.

Eventually Randy started to get 'old' and they got rid of him. But the fans watched him literally carry (with another pitcher) a borderline expansion team to the playoffs and win it for them.

It pissed a lot of people here off, especially when Griffey got dealt and the excuse was guys were getting older and we had to replace them.

We did replace them, somewhat. We got Hernandez eventually and people got a little excited about that occasionally when he pitched. But for the most part, getting rid of aging stars just got us average players that were soon forgotten.

And that crazy love this city had for the Mariners, so strong that literally barely making it into the playoffs on that Joey Cora hit (not even to get into the World Series, just to get to the next playoff series which we lost) became a seminal moment. That same love vanished overnight.

You could not give away Mariner gear then.

When people say they love the team, they really love the players. When you release those guys, you better find something good for people to cling to afterward or they will get bitter.

If Bennett or Sherman ends up being some difference maker on a team that makes it to the SB? People are going to hold it against the Seahawks and they are going to desert the team. Not for lack of loyalty but because they will feel bitter & burned.

That SB built a lot of goodwill up but that SB loss, combined with how it was handled and the years of underperforming steadily chipped away at it. If this team misses the playoffs even a few years while its former stars go on to help other teams win them? People will drop their 12 flags quickly.

There better be a sense of urgency with whatever changes they are making.

You're joking right? The success the Mariners have in their entire history couldn't hold a candle to the last five years of the Seahawks.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":qgqymjqt said:
Perhaps.

And now it is over.

Did you enjoy any of it? Because I don't recall a single post from you where you weren't bitching and moaning about something.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The Mariners also hold onto aging stars for far to long just to sell a few more tickets every 5th day or in japan. King Felix should have been traded 5 years ago to.the Yankees for their best 5 prospects at the time. Ichiro stayed way to long, again could have landed a haul for him in the mid 2000s, they refused to trade Gil Mesh when he was a top prospect and had injury concerns, and instead got zero for him. The Mariners have made the wrong moves over and over, nothing about them is worth comparing to the Seahawks under Pete.

evergreen

Reaction score
The mariner analogy is poignant only because the year we won 116 games ARod couldn’t get a hit and Mariano Rivera shut us down. Then 911 happened and Randy and Curt beat the gated Yankees. The same Randy Johnson we wouldn’t pay for. Ouch. Then the founding member of the LOB comes back to best us in the Super Bowl. Turn back the clock! I want to go back to 2012!

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Steve2222":x43s8jj9 said:
TwistedHusky":x43s8jj9 said:
It was a Seahawks town when at least the team started at least being competitive (Beast Quake).

I take it you weren’t a Seahawks fan prior to 2008?

You’re aware the Seahawks went on a 5 year playoff stretch from 2003-2007 that included 4 NFC West championships and an NFC Championship?

Wow there are a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans.

I think that is what he was saying. When NW teams win the fans are at an all time high. When they lose they aren't that is the definition of bandwagon. Hell the hawks almost had a home playoff game blacked out against the rams in the 04 season because nobody thought that team had a shot to win the Super Bowl. The very next season with a 13-3 record and those playoff tickets were gone in five minutes. It is what it is.

chris98251

Reaction score
A.D.I.D.A.S.":2if8th0a said:
Steve2222":2if8th0a said:
TwistedHusky":2if8th0a said:
It was a Seahawks town when at least the team started at least being competitive (Beast Quake).

I take it you weren’t a Seahawks fan prior to 2008?

You’re aware the Seahawks went on a 5 year playoff stretch from 2003-2007 that included 4 NFC West championships and an NFC Championship?

Wow there are a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans.

I think that is what he was saying. When NW teams win the fans are at an all time high. When they lose they aren't that is the definition of bandwagon. Hell the hawks almost had a home playoff game blacked out against the rams in the 04 season because nobody thought that team had a shot to win the Super Bowl. The very next season with a 13-3 record and those playoff tickets were gone in five minutes. It is what it is.

There is some of that granted, we have such a huge influx of people here now and a lot of them are High Tech people with a desire to be in the social circles of what's the big thing going on.

On the other hand, we also have Husky Football, The Seattle Storm, The Seattle Mariners, The Seattle Super Sonics, The Sounders, swap out the Sonics right now for the new interest in the Seattle Kraken, well maybe Kraken, I like the name.

Hard Core fans will stay with the Sport they love, Social Mongers will follow the wave to what's popular, there is a lot going on here, and that's just what I listed, you can probably add a dozen more events I am not aware of or that are secondary Like Seattle University and Seattle Pacific.

seahawksny

Reaction score
There is way too many posts praising the mariners after their 116 win season. That season was an utter failure as they only advanced because Cleveland being Cleveland started chuck Finley in game 5 who was 90 years old at the time, and then we get shellacked by NY.

It's not a proven truth they were better after losing Arod, griffey and Randy only to replace them with eventually someone who wouldn't learn English

Hawks won the super bowl. How do the two organizations even compare?

chris98251

Reaction score
seahawksny":yo1bq8wv said:
There is way too many posts praising the mariners after their 116 win season. That season was an utter failure as they only advanced because Cleveland being Cleveland started chuck Finley in game 5 who was 90 years old at the time, and then we get shellacked by NY.

It's not a proven truth they were better after losing Arod, griffey and Randy only to replace them with eventually someone who wouldn't learn English

It was also the Roid season where Boone was killing everything.

seahawksny

Reaction score
chris98251":222123li said:
seahawksny":222123li said:

It was also the Roid season where Boone was killing everything.

The mariners are one of, if not THE worst run teams in all of sports it's embarrassing. People make the 2001 team like they were celtics of the 60s, yankees of the 90s. They didnt win anything, and have not been back to playoffs since so I don't understand how anyone can use them as a model for success

daveCFPrez

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2jzhok8z said:

Every business had the radio or TV turned to the games. And everyone stopped everything they were doing when Griffey was batting, Edgar was up or Randy was pitching.

Eventually Randy started to get 'old' and they got rid of him. But the fans watched him literally carry (with another pitcher) a borderline expansion team to the playoffs and win it for them.

It pissed a lot of people here off, especially when Griffey got dealt and the excuse was guys were getting older and we had to replace them.

We did replace them, somewhat. We got Hernandez eventually and people got a little excited about that occasionally when he pitched. But for the most part, getting rid of aging stars just got us average players that were soon forgotten.

And that crazy love this city had for the Mariners, so strong that literally barely making it into the playoffs on that Joey Cora hit (not even to get into the World Series, just to get to the next playoff series which we lost) became a seminal moment. That same love vanished overnight.

When people say they love the team, they really love the players. When you release those guys, you better find something good for people to cling to afterward or they will get bitter.

If Bennett or Sherman ends up being some difference maker on a team that makes it to the SB? People are going to hold it against the Seahawks and they are going to desert the team. Not for lack of loyalty but because they will feel bitter & burned.

That SB built a lot of goodwill up but that SB loss, combined with how it was handled and the years of underperforming steadily chipped away at it. If this team misses the playoffs even a few years while its former stars go on to help other teams win them? People will drop their 12 flags quickly.

Agreed. But - IMO Seattle is one of the BIGGEST (if not THE biggest) band wagon sports cities. And I've lived here for 52 years.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
daveCFPrez":33zthqso said:
TwistedHusky":33zthqso said:

Agreed. But - IMO Seattle is one of the BIGGEST (if not THE biggest) band wagon sports cities. And I've lived here for 52 years.
I lived there for 30 and am now in Portland and I agree. It is funny to watch though. How to you almost have a home playoff game blacked out in 2004 if you have a supportive fan base?

purpleneer

Reaction score
There's a lesson to learn from the M's, but it's pretty much the opposite of the one stated in the OP. The M's constantly value meaningless wins and trying when they shouldn't. They sabotage their own chances to build a winner in order to win a couple extra late-season games and sell a few tickets with popular players who aren't good or don't fit. They caused their $100 million 100-loss season by trying in the previous years when they shouldn't have. They blew playoff runs by being happy with just making the postseason.

Latest posts