The top MVP’s for the Hawks in their history?

Hotchy

Reaction score
Or you also think with TJack, Matt Flynne, maybe throw Fitzpatrick in as well; he seems to be the other scrub mentioned here alot that could have filled in, as it's so easy to win a Superbowl with any no-name QB. The other QBs on offer couldn't make it out of training camp onto the field, not to mention a SB win.

No, I think your post is the funniest thing I have ever seen and I'll remember it fondly forever.

Dave Krieg was hardly a scrub. And Wilson is a very good QB. But to say he's the main reason we won a Super Bowl is insane. Definitely a factor, because he played very smart as a rookie. But there were other more powerful factors. Like skittles and booms, and like it or not Pete Carroll. Doug Baldwin was just as big a factor as Wilson. When everyone had their head up their ass early on in the NFC Championship, he was the guy making big plays keeping us close.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
He may not be the most loved here or made the most spectacular plays. But this guy owned accolades that Russel Wilson would die for:
league MVP? checked, 1st team All-pro? checked.
Shawn was great I agree during a few year stretch but he was running behind 2 future HOF’ers. Also didn’t dominate long enough to warrant top 3 franchise MVP

toffee

Reaction score
Shawn was great I agree during a few year stretch but he was running behind 2 future HOF’ers. Also didn’t dominate long enough to warrant top 3 franchise MVP
Shaun unloved here on Dot net, league MVP or not.

Last edited:

Rainger

Reaction score
It's very debatable.

Russ is the best QB in franchise history, and was a really, really good Pro Bowl calibre player for the Hawks. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. But let's not make him out to be a 1st team all-pro or all-decade calibre of player; because he hasn't been, and he likely won't be. Nothing wrong with that.

Walt, Bobby, and Tez, probably Largent and Easley too, have significantly better resumes and were the elite of the elite relative to their peers at their position. Russ gets a slight bump due to the position he plays, but that's not enough to bridge the gulf in resumes between him and the truly elite.
THIS:

Somos doces

Reaction score
He may not be the most loved here or made the most spectacular plays. But this guy owned accolades that Russel Wilson would die for:
league MVP? checked, 1st team All-pro? checked.
*Pretty sure* this is refering to Shaun Alexander, and if so, I completely agree.

chris98251

Reaction score
Put Wilson in Kreig's or even the early Hass Era's does he have the same stats, doubtful, Krieg and Hass were much better Generals on the Field.

Oh and Holmgren and Knox would have torn Wilson a new asshole for the stunts he pulled and benched him.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Walter Jones is in the top 5 LT's of all time. Not Seahawks .....All teams....Ever.

In my opinion, Jones was measurably better at his position over the course of his career than any other Seahawk was at theirs. He was a better LT than Largent was WR or Wags was LB or Wilson was QB. Except for the VERY tail end of his career, he dominated every game he played in.

I know it's debatable, and I respect the myriad of solid takes, but I'm going with Jones, the guy Holmgren called the best football player he's ever coached.

toffee

Reaction score
Put Wilson in Kreig's or even the early Hass Era's does he have the same stats, doubtful, Krieg and Hass were much better Generals on the Field.

Oh and Holmgren and Knox would have torn Wilson a new asshole for the stunts he pulled and benched him.
I always felt the downfall of Pete Carroll was how he sold his soul to Russell Wilson, it was unbecoming of head coach.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Jones with a nod to Hutch. All those Alexander accolades would not have been possible without this duo. Neither would Hasselbeck's accomplishments. Neither would XL. Holmgren said that Jones was the best offensive player he had ever coached (by transitive the best player, since Holmgren never was that great at evaluating defensive talent)

Recent MVP would be Lynch, with a nod to Wagner. Lynch defined an entire era of, not just, Seahawks football. If anyone willed us to wins, it was Beast, who kept us in games we had no business being in, and set the stage for Wilson's last-minute heroics.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The moment we lost Kam that defense went into the toilet.

Kam was almost indisputably the linchpin of the LOB. But keystone of the entire team was Lynch. He was the attitude and the driving force behind our SB runs. When we lost him, we pretty much lost those runs too.

The MVP of those SB runs was a combination of Lynch & Kam. Evidenced by us no longer making those runs once we lost those players or lost their effectiveness.

Even so, nothing would have happened without Wilson.

And because of Wilson, we were perceived as a darkhorse SB contender for almost 8 years because Wilson literally carried this team for near 5 years. Because of Wilson, we won from 2013 to basically now, with the exception of last year. And weirdly, last year was the year Wilson was hurt/out.

Wilson made us a winning team for almost a decade. He drove the start of this thing. Brought us to 2 SBs and got us 1 victory. He did more than Largent, Walt, and Tez. Largent never got us close to a SB. Only Wilson did.

And now we will find out that without Wilson, we are a pedestrian near .500 team with a barely .500 coach.

Walt was a key cog in us getting to the SB, and Tez was dominant but was he more important than Wilson? No.

Wilson was literally the difference in Ws and Ls. Some people just don't like it because Wilson seems self-absorbed and might even be difficult to like as you get to know him. (My friend hated him and he was his neighbor)

jeremiah

Reaction score
Debateable? The guy literally willed the team to almost impossible wins time and time again. His mindset dominated that O to never give up and believe they can do in any situation. His physical abilities to escape pressure were the best this league has EVER seen. Sorry but imo he's number 1 and without that 1 player we don't go to 2 bowls and win one of them.

jeremiah

Reaction score
RW was simply this generations Fran Tarkenton, or maybe better yet Donovan McNabb. A decent player with a certain skill set, speed and elusiveness. When that is gone, I should say left, he is over. Anyone ever call Tarkenton the best QB the Vikings or the Giants ever had? I think not, McNabb the best QB the Iggles ever had, even in the last 3 decades? RW was okay, and fun to watch. They NEVER should have gave him a big contract, they could have kept the D and maybe improved on it, and waited for the next QB to come play.

I know people say it is very hard to find a franchise QB, it really isn't. It is hard to find a HOF quality QB, but you don't need one if your D is great, you have a great OL, RB...which BTW are fairly easy to find and cheap too...... I liked watching Russ play, but he had really bad habits which stopped him from being great. He didn't want to throw the ball away early, he allowed the OL to make mistakes without chewing them out, and time management was ATROCIOUS under him.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
RW was simply this generations Fran Tarkenton, or maybe.........

Or maybe........just stop, please with these comparisons man.

Fran Tarkenton, first 3 seasons, 8 wins...not each season....Combined.

Russell Wilson, first 3 seasons, 36 wins.

BASF

Reaction score
Or maybe........just stop, please with these comparisons man.

Fran Tarkenton, first 3 seasons, 8 wins...not each season....Combined.

Russell Wilson, first 3 seasons, 36 wins.
Russell Wilson had one of the best defenses in the history of football, Tarkenton had the worst defense in the league his first two seasons. The third season, they were still bottom third of the league. It is a lot easier to win when the defense and running game is carrying you.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Russell Wilson had one of the best defenses in the history of football, Tarkenton had the worst defense in the league his first two seasons. The third season, they were still bottom third of the league. It is a lot easier to win when the defense and running game is carrying you.
I don't even remember this game in 2012, but did the Seahawks actually shut out the Cardinals 58-0? I do remember the next game where the Bills were annihilated 50-17, and the running-up another 42-13 score vs 49ers.

Good defense, yes, but good offense also, don't you agree?

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I remember a number of key 3rd down passes that Wilson had to make to keep that run going.

But you could make the argument that another QB could have won the SB with that defense, it was loaded with HOF players and one of the greatest defenses in history.

What you CANNOT argue is that the 10 years of winning and making the playoffs consistently would have happened under almost any other QB.

NO other QB grabs that bad snap in Minnesota and turns that into a TD. No other QB comes from behind in the 4th regularly to reclaim games that otherwise would have been lost. And I doubt any other QB could have offset Carroll's ineptitude like Wilson did.

You could also point out that without Wilson, those SB runs don't happen because we wouldn't have had another QB to do that. Yes, other QBs might have made those runs but none were available. Flynn sure wouldn't. Nobody we would have drafted would have.

So without Wilson it is highly likely we reach either SB. Which makes Wilson the most important Seahawk in Seahawk history, as he drove 2 separate SB runs with the help of Marshawn Lynch and the LOB. Without Marshawn, we don't make it. Without the LOB, we don't. But without Wilson? We probably do not either.

And we never would have had a decade of winning without Wilson.

Wilson comes off as a self-absorbed, calculating, insufferable prick (and that apparently rubs some the wrong way) but he, Marshawn, and the rest of the LOB are the most important Seahawks to ever wear the jersey because they delivered a Championship.

No other players in other eras can claim that.

BASF

Reaction score
I don't even remember this game in 2012, but did the Seahawks actually shut out the Cardinals 58-0? I do remember the next game where the Bills were annihilated 50-17, and the running-up another 42-13 score vs 49ers.

Good defense, yes, but good offense also, don't you agree?
Absolutely agreed, but in that three game span Wilson only had 36 completions. The defense and running game carried him those seasons. The point is comparing wins between the two QBs is misguided due to vastly superior supporting cast in Wilson's favor.