The trade Sherman mock draft

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm torn in moving Sherm. In the business end, now is a good time to get the most return for Richard, but for the team, with Lane still working towards 100% after his SB injury, and Thomas coming back after the broken leg, it would leave the secondary vunerable without Sherm. Do you trust in Shead enough...I don't !

What would be a good deal for the Hawks and another team ? I look to the Titans, a team with parts in place to make a run, and 2 picks in the top 20. I think the Hawks would like getting back to the "run first" game plan, so how about asking for D. Henry and their 18th pick for Sherman. Titans could then use #5 on Fournette or WR and the Hawks could grab Bolles at 18 and Obi Melifonwu or Kevin King at 26, and hope with a running game, control the clock and not put as much pressure on a new look Defensive back field. Just my opinion.

Go Hawks

massari

Reaction score
If he wants to be traded, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 1st+4th.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
JTB":2p43e433 said:
There no way the OP scenario happens. If Tennessee had offered the 5th pick, he'd be country line dancing in Nashville already.

I think the best the Seahawks could do in a trade is a late 1st rounder or a combination of a day 2 pick and a player. Regardless, I love what they have done with this exercise as it allows Sherman to see/be involved in his alternatives while also reinforcing what his true market value is which may serve to either fire him up, humble him, or both.

I agree with the assessment that this will be a defensive oriented draft, which should play out well for the Hawks.
This is an interesting thread with some well thought out trade scenarios but JTB's and Atradees are the most realistic IMO. I do not think Sherman rates a first round pick. Fans have a tendency to overrate the players on their favorite teams. This is the reality:

Richard Sherman:

Pros:

Intelligence: One of the smartest players in the NFL both on and off the field. His smarts mitigate much of his diminishing athletic ability.
Technique: Superb
Tackling: Elite for a CB. Willing to lay the wood. Physicality from your corner is a tone-setter for Defenses
Competitiveness: Elite
Size: Elite
Hands: Elite
Press Coverage: Elite, but many teams may not want Sherm playing press much longer. If WR escapes the jam Sherm's footspeed may not allow him to catch up.
Zone: Excellent when the DBs are actually communicating.

Cons:

Age: 30 approaches. Many elite players have excelled well into their thirties but this still depreciates his value.
Attitude: Screaming at teammates on the sideline, calling out coaches, vendettas with media. Outside of a DV arrest this is about as bad as it gets. What team wants to pay a high price for a malcontent and potential coach killer?
Contract: If traded, his signing bonus accelerates and is charged against the Hawk cap, but he'd still be a little pricey.
System: Sherman plays in a system tailored to his strengths and which largely masks his weaknesses. Any team negotiating for Sherman is surely going to focus on his lack of following the top WR due to usually only playing one side of the field.
Speed: He didn't have elite speed as a rookie and it is likely he has lost more since. That is a major red flag for any CB. Your safety has to cheat to compensate so as not to get beat over the top. This creates holes in other areas of the field.
Rental: There's no guarantee he resigns with the team that trades for him. A first round pick gives a team 5 years of rights to a player. Those additional three years to develop a young player, or even trade them, may be more valuable than renting a sure thing for a couple seasons. It certainly means younger teams, like the Browns, would be insane to trade for Sherm. Only playoff teams with a rapidly closing window should deal for him IMO and there aren't man of those that leap to mind. Maybe the Pats, Steelers, or Saints. Possibly GB, but we would never get a first from Ted Thompson.

Bottom line: Sherman, a perennial all-pro and almost certain HOF player, is simply not as valuable on the market as some imagine him. His peak value is still with Seattle and we should probably keep him unless we get a first plus mid rounder. I really doubt that will happen.

However, reading between the lines, it seems like Carroll/Schneider really want Sherman gone. Schneider tends to buy high and sell low and the league is certainly aware that he is not a great negotiator. Therefore, the longer this plays out the more likely it is we unload Sherm for a second or third rounder - possibly even a fourth. It seems crazy, but our front office seem to be motivated sellers, despite their rhetoric to the contrary. I would rather keep Sherm than sell him cheap and hope he learn's a little humility if, in fact, no one wants to pay top value for him...

Prediction: No team is willing to trade a first round pick for RS. Seattle offers one of their third round picks and Sherm for a second round pick.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Darrel Revis was only 1 year younger than Sherman is now and was rehabbing a torn ACL when the Bucs gave up a 1st and a 4th for him. Oh and he was the highest paid corner at the time too.

If Sherman is traded the Seahawks have to pay his remaining signing bonus so he would only count for about 11m to the new team which would make him something like the 6th highest paid corner for this year and like the 12th highest paid corner for 2018. That's a pretty good deal to get a top 5 (if not top 3) corner and not have to pay him top 5 money... I don't buy that his contract is a negative at all for any team. That's a bad argument in my opinion.

A-Dog

Reaction score
A couple factors about replacing LCB - not major factors but not insignificant either.

1) left CB more often plays on the right side of the offensive formation. That means it's typically an easier read and throw for right handed QBs.

2) For the same reason, LCBs typically need to be stronger tacklers due to strong side runs that come their way.

Generally speaking, LCBs tend to be the better better players than RCBs.

Point being, replacing RCB (or slot, for that matter) will be easier than replacing Sherm.

Not sure what my point is, other than trying to find the right rookie, with the requisite size/wingspan, the ability to play the the Seahawks system, strong tackling, technique, ball skills to create turnovers, and the raw physical ability to man up all over the field against the other team's best reciver is not going to be easy, and that's before we talk about real nfl experience, familiarity with the unique abilities of the top receivers this player would be facing, the focus and work ethic to study and understand film and offensive tendencies, and lastly, a strong rapport with the rest of the LOB.

I guess my point is we would be giving up a lot of we ge rid of Sherm, despite the fact that CBs in the Cover-3/Single High may have a easier role than safeties do.