This is how Awesome RW is

Willyeye

Reaction score
Russell is a special person. I am psychologically incapable of doing the things he does. I really, truly admire him. The Russell godfather story really broke me up too.

My wife and I raised 4 kids. When our first was 6 months old, I witnessed a 10 year-old boy die in a dumb little accident on a quad. I tried to help the boy, but he was dead and there was nothing else I could do. I felt so helpless. That incident made me paranoid the rest of my life. When I got home, I took one look at my little boy, and I just hoped with all of my heart that nothing ever happens to this precious little boy. I love kids so much, that I can't handle the thought of a child suffering or dying. Some of my friends knew the parents of that 10 year-old boy, and his death ruined their lives. The father lost his job and NEVER worked again...became an alcoholic and died 10 years later. The mom somewhat picked up the slack, but the family eventually fell apart. They had 4 other children, and it completely ruined their childhood.

The entire time my wife and I raised our kids, I was constantly paranoid that something could happen to one of my kids. Nothing really bad ever happened, but even though they are now ages 27-35, I still worry about them every day. One of my greatest hopes in life is that all 4 of my kids are there to bury me. I know for a fact that I still couldn't mentally handle the loss of any of my kids. I would competely fall apart forever.

I now have 2 granddaughters, and the cycle is already repeating itself. I love these 2 little girls so much, that I know deep down inside, I simply could never handle it if anything happened to them. I feel like crying when they get a cold.

I never could do what Russell did with those people. I would take one look at that girl laying there, and I would just start bawling. I don't know if it's a flaw in my character, or if for some reason, I just have too much compassion for sick people.

One of my daughters is a medical assistant (one year from being an actual nurse), and I'm so proud of her. She is just as compassionate as I am, but she's able to actually help sick people without losing it. I feel like I would just be a downer for the families...you can't go into a room to try to help people and then do nothing but cry. I sure am a softie.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Narniaman":1jzko6zs said:
As a physician, I would point out that what Russell Wilson does cost him something in psychic stress.

It's not easy to even see a child in that condition, and the natural response is to avoid situations like that as much as possible.

However, the gift he gave to that girl's parents will last forever in their memories.

It appears to me that the little girl is demonstrating "decorticate posturing", which is indicative of very severe brain damage.

More than likely she had no sense at all of her visitor; however, on the slight possibility that she was able to tell he was there, she would have been thrilled beyond belief.

It seemed like she couldn't take her eyes off of Russell. Perhaps it was just that he was "something new" in her room, but I'd really like to think she recognized him, but was just unable to react. I wonder if there are varying levels of decorticate posturing that correlate to varying degrees of brain damage. Is this a condition that some patients subsequently improve from, even just a little bit?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It bears mentioning that there are several people that Wilson is helping in that clip.

It isn't just the little girl, watching someone you love suffer is grueling. It feels like your soul is being sanded down little by little.

To have a moment like that where you see someone actually cares and you get a chance to take a breath or enjoy a moment for once, no matter how small. That is huge.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow! Amazing man. I know he's been a positive influence on my life. I'm a lot less likely to pass by someone in need, be it in a store, on the sidewalk, or on the side of the ride. I want to be like Russell Wilson.

idahohawk

Reaction score
This little girl is from my community. I've seen all the pictures and have always loved that Russ does this. I remember he did it the Tuesday after the XLIX loss and my admiration went up like 1000X.

I mostly look at the pictures, but watching the video, you can just tell this guy is genuine. Many mock his idiosyncrasies and even his faith, but you cannot dispute this. I'm so glad he's our QB!

GoHawks

Largent80":whruuk0t said:
I'm shedding a lot of tears, and just admire who he is.

https://www.facebook.com/DangerRussWils ... 249776456/

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I don't know the story behind the little girls illness, but it is heartbreaking. And for RW to go there and be so strong is just a lesson to me since I am so much older than him, to try and be a better person.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
My little sister works as an oncology nurse at BC children's hospital in YVR. I honestly have no idea how she does it sometimes. RW goes up there as well every year and I recall around this time. He even brought the lobardi with him the year they won….

Hats oft to RW. From time to time we have to take our daughter to the local childrens hospital here in YYZ because she continues to be followed by a few depts because of her disabilities but it's visit there that give us perspective since there are some poor poor kids that are in some very difficult situations and our daughters disabilities seem to pale in comparison.

So in some respects, I truly think that this grounds him as human being also and I think that he gets just as much out of the visits as those that he visits.

Mick063

Reaction score
At some point he crossed my threshold as greatest Seahawk ever. I can't point my finger at when (It used to be Largent).

Whenever I see stuff like this it reaffirms my belief in him.

hawk45

Reaction score
Narniaman":1b61rble said:
As a physician, I would point out that what Russell Wilson does cost him something in psychic stress.

It's not easy to even see a child in that condition, and the natural response is to avoid situations like that as much as possible.

However, the gift he gave to that girl's parents will last forever in their memories.

It appears to me that the little girl is demonstrating "decorticate posturing", which is indicative of very severe brain damage.

More than likely she had no sense at all of her visitor; however, on the slight possibility that she was able to tell he was there, she would have been thrilled beyond belief.

I won't even watch the clip, I don't have it in my gas tank at the moment view the kids in that situation and feel the strong emotions. Going there physically and forming attachments to kids, I just cannot imagine. Dealing with the illness of others is one of the most emotionally draining experiences one can have. Dealing with the illness of children is straight up emotionally bench-pressing 500 in my opinion.

I am so happy he gives those moments to those kids. The one thing an NFL player can do for a kid that can't be done for an adult nearly as much is giving them the glow of meeting a hero that they haven't aged enough to develop any cynicism about. To feel like their hero really gives a care about them...they all deserve it, and however much time Russ spends there will never be enough, but bless him for spending the time that he does.

Favorite all time Seahawk by a mile.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Largent80":3ebgipkq said:
I don't know the story behind the little girls illness, but it is heartbreaking. And for RW to go there and be so strong is just a lesson to me since I am so much older than him, to try and be a better person.

I see patients that have similar looking posture. Based on the video unfortunately it looks like a significant head injury of some kind. Sadly if she is being discharged following that video the likelihood of significant recovery may be slim. We should all take a page from Russell's video and pray for that little girl.

Donk70

Reaction score
Yeah, he does this, then he broadcasts it.

"look how great and wholesome I am!"

Waiting for him to get busted with a hooker in the mensroom

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Donk70":3p55s2qr said:

How about you just try trolling somewhere else bruh. :pukeface:

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Donk70":1u8j13o6 said:

Awesome, I hope he continues to disappoint you.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":zhl4pgag said:
pehawk":zhl4pgag said:
Hasselbeck":zhl4pgag said:
pehawk":zhl4pgag said:
Being that I'm not a soccer mom, I do not have facebook. Anyone mind telling me what all the fuss is about? He finally smash Ciara, or something?

Video of him at the Children's Hospital.

Thank you, Sweetie.

Thanks for asking PE. Facebook is the devil for me as well.

Yea, Face book is my wife's job. I get enough drama living with her, I don't need the rest of the country's drama in my house.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Donk70":u7qsmyxe said:

The broadcasting is for the kids too. Imagine how cool it would be to have Russell Wilson share a video on his own Facebook page of the time he visited you. It's just another way to make them feel special.

Hundreds of fans share on their own pages of the times they took a selfie with a professional athlete. The athlete probably doesn't remember that person 5 minutes later and couldn't care less if some fan took a picture with them. But this is a professional athlete sharing selfies of his time with THEM, because they mean something to him.

But if you just want to look for negatives you can see whatever you want in it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Well guess not everyone thinks what Russell's doing is awesome.

He started all this during his rookie training camp before he was awarded the starting position. He told the nurse there not to tell anyone about it, the nurse blew if off like it was a one time deal. He kept on coming back, and when Wilson starts making sports news during his rookie season is when it was revealed he was visiting Children's Hospital on schedule without fail.

I'm glad he is broadcasting it, it brings a lot of awareness to people that sometimes there are others who are dealing with something bigger than their own problems.