This is how Awesome RW is

Ozzy

Reaction score
HawkFan72":11d5fnd7 said:
Donk70":11d5fnd7 said:
Yeah, he does this, then he broadcasts it.

"look how great and wholesome I am!"

Waiting for him to get busted with a hooker in the mensroom

The broadcasting is for the kids too. Imagine how cool it would be to have Russell Wilson share a video on his own Facebook page of the time he visited you. It's just another way to make them feel special.

Hundreds of fans share on their own pages of the times they took a selfie with a professional athlete. The athlete probably doesn't remember that person 5 minutes later and couldn't care less if some fan took a picture with them. But this is a professional athlete sharing selfies of his time with THEM, because they mean something to him.

But if you just want to look for negatives you can see whatever you want in it.
Donk is just a miserable person to find fault in that. He's a douche but I feel sorry for him. He's not doing it to honor himself Wilson shares it to share there story and to give people hope.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Narniaman":r6hzd0am said:
As a physician, I would point out that what Russell Wilson does cost him something in psychic stress.

It's not easy to even see a child in that condition, and the natural response is to avoid situations like that as much as possible.

However, the gift he gave to that girl's parents will last forever in their memories.

It appears to me that the little girl is demonstrating "decorticate posturing", which is indicative of very severe brain damage.

More than likely she had no sense at all of her visitor; however, on the slight possibility that she was able to tell he was there, she would have been thrilled beyond belief.

I work in an LTAC ICU, so I see patients like this everyday. It's definitely not easy on the mind and definitely takes it's toll. Very commendable for him to do this, it truly does make an impact on these people's lives.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Willyeye":qiodpvu7 said:
Russell is a special person. I am psychologically incapable of doing the things he does. I really, truly admire him. The Russell godfather story really broke me up too.

My wife and I raised 4 kids. When our first was 6 months old, I witnessed a 10 year-old boy die in a dumb little accident on a quad. I tried to help the boy, but he was dead and there was nothing else I could do. I felt so helpless. That incident made me paranoid the rest of my life. When I got home, I took one look at my little boy, and I just hoped with all of my heart that nothing ever happens to this precious little boy. I love kids so much, that I can't handle the thought of a child suffering or dying. Some of my friends knew the parents of that 10 year-old boy, and his death ruined their lives. The father lost his job and NEVER worked again...became an alcoholic and died 10 years later. The mom somewhat picked up the slack, but the family eventually fell apart. They had 4 other children, and it completely ruined their childhood.

The entire time my wife and I raised our kids, I was constantly paranoid that something could happen to one of my kids. Nothing really bad ever happened, but even though they are now ages 27-35, I still worry about them every day. One of my greatest hopes in life is that all 4 of my kids are there to bury me. I know for a fact that I still couldn't mentally handle the loss of any of my kids. I would competely fall apart forever.

I now have 2 granddaughters, and the cycle is already repeating itself. I love these 2 little girls so much, that I know deep down inside, I simply could never handle it if anything happened to them. I feel like crying when they get a cold.

I never could do what Russell did with those people. I would take one look at that girl laying there, and I would just start bawling. I don't know if it's a flaw in my character, or if for some reason, I just have too much compassion for sick people.

One of my daughters is a medical assistant (one year from being an actual nurse), and I'm so proud of her. She is just as compassionate as I am, but she's able to actually help sick people without losing it. I feel like I would just be a downer for the families...you can't go into a room to try to help people and then do nothing but cry. I sure am a softie.

I think the world could use a bit more softies like you my friend. Thank you for sharing your story.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just want to comment that there are some really fantastic posts being shared in this thread. Genuine love and respect going on which as it should be. We all spend so much time being facetious or trying to bring levity to most conversations but this thread, and that video specifically transcends sports. It's really about the capability of the human spirit that we are all capable of. Without getting too philosophical, it has been one of my favorite aspects of Russell Wilson becoming a Seahawk is to see the impact, I mean the profound impact he has on everyone within his world. Teammates, coaches, staff, family, friends and of course fans.

There are things in this world that transcends opinion and commentary. Russell Wilson demonstrates that effortlessly.

Oh sure, the world will continue to do what it does...Talk about rudimentary things, unimportant things (When will Russell be able to close the deal with Ciara, et al) but at the end of the day, beyond entertainment, beyond sports, you have this person, not only bringing such light and love to a child and family in desperate need of it, but having the rare ability to make all of those in his path want to become better human beings.

There is no contract in the NFL that could be worthy of that.

AVL

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1cihzn6v said:
pehawk":1cihzn6v said:
Hasselbeck":1cihzn6v said:
pehawk":1cihzn6v said:
Being that I'm not a soccer mom, I do not have facebook. Anyone mind telling me what all the fuss is about? He finally smash Ciara, or something?

Video of him at the Children's Hospital.

Thank you, Sweetie.

Thanks for asking PE. Facebook is the devil for me as well.

Monkey accounts work well. I got one when he joined years ago and am still annoyed abut it.

I think it gets too much publicity.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Donk70":13wrwh7t said:
Yeah, he does this, then he broadcasts it.

"look how great and wholesome I am!"

Waiting for him to get busted with a hooker in the mensroom

There's always the possibility that he broadcasts it in an attempt to try and inspire others to follow his example.

But I'm sure it feels great to you walking around thinking the worst about people.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
IMHO Russell is something special,hope we get the Oline sorted ,so i don"t have to fly over to protect him.

Steve2222

Reaction score
And yet their are still some who think he's a bad guy for shunning a kid an autograph while at a restaurant trying to get a meal after a game.

253hawk

Reaction score
He gave a commencement speech at Wisconsin today:

[youtube]7trB5Yv3B_U[/youtube]

drdiags

Reaction score
I think it is probably a given to be jaded about such things, since people are not perfect we tend to think of the worse because of being proven right many times. Wilson didn't publicize his visits until the folks at the hospital started letting it be known what he was doing. Maybe he is a phony, but unless some dark secrets about him abusing kids come to light, I tend to trust that he is dedicated to his task of providing comfort to those he can along the way.

He specifically made it clear to the father that he appreciated him letting Wilson in during a time that was most precious to the family and that he wanted to respect their privacy. If the father thought it was a bunch of baloney, I think Wilson would have quickly given the family their space and moved on. No one wants to be a photo opt and I believe if the family didn't think he was helping they would have asked him nicely not to take pictures or videos.

Whether I am pessimistic or wary of the angle, this man does something every week and more than just a passing fancy that I have not done all my life. Sure, I have donated to some causes but I have never rolled up my sleeves and did more than donate money to feel good about my contributions.

So until I am more committed toward helping folks as they go through these type of trials than what Wilson is doing, I will tip my hat and know he has done quite a lot in the short time he has been here in Seattle and has been on this planet.

If he is found in a room with hookers or some other scandal, well I forgive him as we all are weak in some aspect of life.

Good on you Russell. Do what ever you can to make a difference. I salute you.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Great post drdiags. Always enjoy your angle and wish you posted more.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
austinslater25":3jizv6uq said:

Couldn't agree more. That includes seeing him more than once a decade at Temple. ;)

drdiags

Reaction score
Aros":2r2guyim said:
austinslater25":2r2guyim said:

Couldn't agree more. That includes seeing him more than once a decade at Temple. ;)

Thanks Austin and yes Aros, I need to finally see the new digs at Temple. I haven't been there since they expanded the basement to the likes of us. :thirishdrinkers:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete got the same sort of skeptical responses by some people after his trips to inner city neighborhoods became public.

"He's just doing it to look good."

"He's only there to recruit future players at USC."

Yeah, everyone goes to some of the worst neighborhoods in LA in the middle of the night just to get publicity. Oh wait, most people won't even go there at all.

Pete was doing his thing for at least a year or two before the press got wind of it. Likewise Russell started visiting the kids at SCH practically the minute he landed in Seattle.

Some people are actually good people. It doesn't make them perfect, but it also shouldn't mean we look for reasons to tear them down.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I don't think we'll truly appreciate Pete, Russ and the core group of this team until they've moved on.

This is a truly exceptional time to be a Seahawks fan.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Well said Rob. Throw JS into the mix as well.