This is Russell's game to win or lose

kmedic

Reaction score
I truly think this game against Denver hinges on Russell Wilson more than any of the other playoff games so far. I firmly believe that as awesome as our defense is Peyton Manning will move the ball on us and score. A smart way to negate the effect of a great defense is to employ a great no-huddle offense and that's exactly what Peyton and the Broncos do. He will try (and succeed I believe) to force particular personnel groupings to match up favorably with his WR's and TE's and exploit them. Peyton is the smartest QB ever in the history of the game and though we won't be giving up 40 points, I can tell you they will score more than 20.

That really puts the onus of this game on our offense, and I have a sneaking suspicion that we will be down late in the 4th quarter and Russell will have to deliver. I personally think he's ready to do it. Denver isn't the greatest defense in the league, and certainly isn't SF (or NFC West for that matter) caliber. PC and Bevell may have to pull the reins off and let him loose, much like the Atlanta game last season when he put the team on his back.

The one caveat and x-factor though that could make everything moot is Percy Harvin. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he pulls off a second half kickoff return for a TD that puts us over the top. But I'm not counting on it.

This is Russell's game to win or lose IMO.

Papa-pwn

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1h47ohw4 said:
Blitzer88":1h47ohw4 said:
The Broncos offense will definitely be a huge challenge for our boys on defense.

I wish I could add more than the following, but I fear I cannot, so...

INCORRECT.

Actually he is correct. You can dispute it all you want, but you'll just be wrong.

The best scoring offense of all time, with a QB fresh off of posting the best statistical season ever, is a challenge for any defense.

You can try argue that it's not a challenge, just like you can try argue that 1+1=3, but you'll be wrong and laughed at.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Without a doubt, our offense's ability to keep Manning off the field will be central to a victory.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1nulqk58 said:
Without a doubt, our offense's ability to keep Manning off the field will be central to a victory.

That is what every NFL team plans for.....it is another thing to execute that plan! The Niners had the same plan coming to Seattle......they just had one too many "turn-overs". We got to play "Petey ball"!

w00t

Reaction score
Wilson needs to use his legs in this game. No Von Miller chasing him.

calinator

Reaction score
Yup it's all on Wilson. 3rd down is always important but moreso in this game. They absolutely need to stay on the field and keep the defense fresh because a couple 3 and outs and a couple 7 minute drives and our D will be gassed. Harvin is gonna be damn important in keeping there D honest but I fear for his ability to stay uninjured. Let's hope the bad weather plays in our favor, lots of press coverage.

I'm sure/hope the coaches know how much the Patriots owned Manning back in the day and have tape of those games to watch. They gave him fits with all the jam coverage they did and hopefully Sherman turns in to Ty Law hahaha. Have ET roam the field and put him around Welker. Oh man this could be an epic damn battle.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
17 points? Are you serious? Hey, I totally respect the Hawks love but that's ridiculous.

BTW, I know it was just a preseason game, but if you have the DVR of that game earlier this year, look at what Manning did on our first unit defense that first half. He was methodically driving his squad down the field in no-huddle. A couple of those possessions ended up with TO's (remember the Browner INT in the endzone and run out?), but they could have easily put up 21 points in just the first half. Our defense has come a long way since that game, but so has their offense. Believe me, Denver is going to break 20 points on us.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2bui19c3 said:
The Broncos offense will definitely be a huge challenge for our boys on defense.
If I'm Denver I am peeing my pants. Denver's receivers beyond Welker are soft despite their size and Moreno isn't running on us. The deal with Peyton is DON'T tip your hand and middle pressure. They have NOTHING in the secondary and we have Percy. Enough said.

With that said I expect them to score 24. The problem being we will score 28-31 especially if Percy plays the whole game (I have seen many Bronco games this year given that I live in Kansas City).

Blitzer88

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2j85o4i2 said:
Blitzer88":2j85o4i2 said:

I wish I could add more than the following, but I fear I cannot, so...

INCORRECT.

I accept that as a reasonable response :th2thumbs:

davidonmi

Reaction score
kmedic":25sn4j87 said:
17 points? Are you serious? Hey, I totally respect the Hawks love but that's ridiculous.

BTW, I know it was just a preseason game, but if you have the DVR of that game earlier this year, look at what Manning did on our first unit defense that first half. He was methodically driving his squad down the field in no-huddle. A couple of those possessions ended up with TO's (remember the Browner INT in the endzone and run out?), but they could have easily put up 21 points in just the first half. Our defense has come a long way since that game, but so has their offense. Believe me, Denver is going to break 20 points on us.
I disagree with the 17 points wholeheartedly, I think our offense needs 27 to win.
However don't put any stock in the preseason

marko358

Reaction score
The "Greatest Show on Earth" Rams were supposed to manhandle the Patriots and so were the high-powered Raiders over the Buccaneers. Tough defense prevailed in both instances and our defense is arguably better than those two underdogs.

calinator

Reaction score
The Pats only scored 14 on the Giants. The problem I have is our pass rush is good but there O-line is amazing in pass protection, and Manning doesn't need much time to make his throws. The Seahawks D is also gonna need to keep there run game honest, because those Shotgun draws could really keep us off balance. Maybe once Manning crosses our 40 we will need to start being really aggressive with the pass rush but being near the goal line will shrink his field.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
Of course I don't put in much to the preseason, but you can get at least a general feeling about the match up. Remember in that first half, the Bronco's first string offense played our first string defense. Remember also, our defensive schemes are not that complex, and haven't drastically changed from preseason. Our defense is by far the best in the league and maybe for the past decade, but I have always believed the great equalizer to an elite defense is an attacking no-huddle offense. Remember what Tom Brady and the Pats did on us last season. I'm definitely not saying we are going to lose this game, all I'm saying (and agreeing with you) is that we are going to have to score more than 20 points, probably closer to 30 to beat these guys.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":qxy6igqw said:
kmedic":qxy6igqw said:

Could've put up 21 points....but didn't. 17 points. Book it.

We're going to win in 13 days. Get used to it.
Peaches is on FIRE lately! No reason to doubt him! :th2thumbs:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Las Vegas has the over/under at 48....in effect a 27-21 score. Perhaps, we're at 24-23.....doesn't look like anyone will hit 30 points.

Smellyman

Reaction score
All the man has done in his first 2 years is have the 3rd most TD's thrown, most wins, 2nd most combeback wins, only player ever with over 100 rating frist two years, one of the most dynamic palymakers on the run of all time....etc etc.

If he was 6'3 they'd be talking one of the best of all time.....but no, people still doubt.

showing up Manning on a world stage would be fan frickin tastic

chris98251

Reaction score
If there is a QB thats going to be the marketable aspect of the NFL the next decade Wilson is it, Manning has nostalgia going for him, but Wilson has a marketable aspect that will feed young, old, women, and the non fans also. They want Wilson just like they wanted Montana in his day.

If there is a conspiracy I lean towards the money and future not the nostalgia of the past or soon to be Papa Johns primary spokeperson.

Latest posts