This loss is on the Defense

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Were there things the offense could have done to win this game? Yes. But when you spend most of your cap on Defense you should be able it win when scoring 31 points.

I have complete faith that both sides of the ball will get better as the season goes on, but this one is on the D.

Go Hawks!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Having Kam is not an excuse either. The defense looked totally lost at times. What is annoying is that we still have 3 all pros on the field, there should not have been as much confusion as there was at times. Fixable stuff though.

CalboHawk

Reaction score
Poor game plan preparation and in-game management by the coaching staff today. The on-field confusion and lack of communication / leadership was painful to watch. This was Kris Richard's first real game as a DC and hopefully it was just rookie jitters that he can quickly work through.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
To the OP

Tweets from Brock Huard

1. [tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/643167970181562368[/tweet]

2. [tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/643209221668909056[/tweet]

3.[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockESPN/status/643179806729736192[/tweet]

The fact we gave up 8 explosive plays and had hardly any of our own is bad. Allready gave up 1/4 of the total explosive pass plays we did ALL Of last season in this one game

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Can't blame this all on the defense, the offense was only able to score one touchdown, and they weren't able to sustain drives. The special teams unit also had a few flubs with that onside kick, and the punt return touchdown. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Anthony!

Reaction score
What I always find interesting is how it is never only on the defense. I mean it seems it is always on the offense or the ST. But when it comes to the defense, the thing this team is supposed to be built around it is never on them or never just on them. Atl playoff game cannot hold a lead with 24 seconds not the defenses fault, SB 10 point lead with under 10 to go not on the defense, and I can go on and on, to include tonight. So either it is on the defense or it is not and it is not or never was or will be on ST or Offense or any player you cannot have it both ways. If you are going to blame the offense or ST then we can blame the defense. You can always say the offense could have scored more, or the ST could have not given up that extra yardage and you can always say the defense gave up this score. There is always 1 play but any and all 3 facets that impact the results. Tonight we had a 7 point lead with under 5 minutes to play and our supposedly great defense could not hold them. Do I blame the defense yes, but I also blame ST, the coaches, and the offense. That said 31 points on the rode should win you the game, but to be honest I blame the coaching more than anything for this one.

CalboHawk

Reaction score
It is probably the way the Seahawks lost that is driving much of the angst.

Losing early in the season 12 - 9 in St Louis at 10 AM while keeping the Rams to under 200 total offensive yards is something we are used to seeing, however, the relatively high score, total offensive yards and number of explosive plays that were given up by the Seahawks defense in this loss is something we haven't seen in a long time.

The first defensive stop by the Seahawks was familiar and reassuring, but everything after that looked like a Seahawks wannabe team.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
nbk35zw":3slwtdt3 said:
St. Louis is here for good. We got tore up by a third string running back. Gurley will feast on our current D.
You're supposing that our Defense will continue playing like they did today?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":2clv05zf said:
All the Bevel hater threads ignore that our D gave up big chunks of yardage to what was supposed to be a weak offense. What was up with the wide open receivers all day? And why were they able to escape so many 3rd and longs?

Still, not worried as I believe the D will get better as they play together and get the communication and assignments down. But we need to do a better job against the Packers.

If Seattle's defense takes a step back this year then there hosed because that Offense sure as hell can't carry them.

Largent80

Reaction score
StoneCold":375ze1kp said:
The other thing I'm hating about this loss is it looks like people are going to be hating on Dion. He clearly slipped on the TD play and that can happen to anyone. What I don't know is if the wide open receivers were his fault. Couldn't have been all of them. Someone with better knowledge of schemes and responsibilities will have to clue me in.

He looked like he was ready to sleep before the kickoff of the game. The very moment the cameras were on him he was yawning big time.

erik2690

Reaction score
Largent80":tbk7b9ml said:
StoneCold":tbk7b9ml said:
The other thing I'm hating about this loss is it looks like people are going to be hating on Dion. He clearly slipped on the TD play and that can happen to anyone. What I don't know is if the wide open receivers were his fault. Couldn't have been all of them. Someone with better knowledge of schemes and responsibilities will have to clue me in.

He looked like he was ready to sleep before the kickoff of the game. The very moment the cameras were on him he was yawning big time.

OBJ was yawning before the Primetime game. It doesn't likely mean much.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Watching MNF, I wish Dan Quinn was still part of the Seahawks. He's definitely the biggest loss for the Seahawks. He's got the Falcons playing really good defense. Falcons had the worst defense in the NFL last season.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1yn5nnzy said:
Watching MNF, I wish Dan Quinn was still part of the Seahawks. He's definitely the biggest loss for the Seahawks. He's got the Falcons playing really good defense. Falcons had the worst defense in the NFL last season.

Agree. When Quinn left, I knew there was going to be a big drop-off. The guy is just a great coach.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, giving up 27 points on D (the other 7 from the return) is not acceptable or a D like this.
Holding a 7 point lead with less than 3 minutes left, no excuse for that.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I blame it on the coaches on both sides of the ball. Offense because of the play calling and defense because they looked lost at times. We have more superstars on the defense and we have invested more on that side of the ball. Defense giving up big plays is a bigger concern for me than Bevell's play calling. We have been to two superbowls and have won one with this mediocre play calling but our D have never looked as lost as they did Sunday since Carroll's early days.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
This may be a case of simply too many losses on the defensive side of the ball in the last few years to overcome, at least for this season. Loss of Quinn, Norton as coaches and the constant bleeding of DBs and depth along the line may have caught up with this team supported by the 8 pass plays of 20+ yds given up Sunday. That's NOT the LOB we've all seen the last few years.

It's also possible that Earl not being up to game speed had a gigantic impact on this game and that it will get better when he does. I believe that's a factor as I rarely saw him on my TV screen Sunday and that just never happens.

I do believe though, Earl being Earl or not, for this team to win consistently this year, the offense will have to score more than 17 ppg which is what they put up Sunday. For that to happen they must get better in the red zone which has been a bugaboo for the last 3 seasons. That's on Bevell and Russ.

bandiger

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1f6utaol said:

Well watching the Niners defense just totally manhandle a young QB. I'm kinda worried about the defense. Yes, I think Quinn was a very good coach, that loss hurts just as much as losing Unger, Kam, etc.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
bryantology79":1v5trgnk said:
how many 3 and outs did our offense have?

How about sealing the deal in the red zone as well?

How about special teams containment ?
Not all on the D (but they were gassed and got caught in the 4th. No more "legion talk" for a while would be nice. I'd settle for plain old tough and smart D).