This team should make the playoffs

OP
OP
A

adeltaY

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3vadle68 said:
First the over the top sky is falling rants on here :rumble: . Then the over-confidence lol

Take it a week at a time. I HOPE we make it to the playoffs, but I'm trying to have an open mind about this season

I was predicting a 7-9 win season, but I always expected the team to make the playoffs. if that makes sense. As a fan I expect it because we have a top tier QB and Coach combo. Analyzing it more objectively, yeah, I get why we probably won't make it. But why not us?

Fade

Reaction score
So during the Pre-Season in the NFC West thread I predicted 10-6 in the NFL Forum.

Then I saw the offense the first 2 games, and then watched as they played down to their opponent in the Cardinals. I dropped my prediction down to 6-10, with a chance to go 5-11. Especially with the injuries that happened in that game.

Sometimes when you lose you really win, and sometimes when you win you really lose. The previous 2 weeks proved my point emphatically. With the Cardinals being the latter, and the Rams being the former.

I am still nervous about playing down to opponents going forward, Pete's teams have been doing this for a long time now, but Pete's teams also play up against bigger opponents so there is that.

It was nice for a change to see them not play down to an opponent for once in the Raiders.

Sweezy & Fluker along with the great Mike Solari have transformed the Seahawks into an entirely different animal now.

10-6, I think is back on the table if those two stay on the field, especially now that I am seeing an offense that I thought I was going to see from the start.

So in general I am a big picture guy as I am watching the season unfold. Mainly I spend my time looking at the weaknesses, and how to improve them, while also staying out in front of problems that could pottentially arise. I of course want them to make the playoffs, but more importantly I want to see improvement. Which they have over the last two weeks.

Fluker, Sweezy, & Clark are all UFAs at the end of the year. They need to sign a couple of these guys now. There is precedence for this as the team extended both KJ Wright & Avril during the season a few years back. They need to do this again, or next Off-Season could be a 1 step forward, 2 steps back situation.

These 3 guys are essential to what they are trying to do, so to me it just makes too much sense to not extend them now.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Scorpion05":fc3k7v9r said:
First the over the top sky is falling rants on here :rumble: . Then the over-confidence lol

Take it a week at a time. I HOPE we make it to the playoffs, but I'm trying to have an open mind about this season
But where's the fun in that? :D "We may never win another game" and "we're the best team ever" posts are just a lot more fun.

xray

Reaction score
I think it will take a 10-6 to get in the playoffs for sure. To do that the Hawks need to win against the Lions & Panthers;both must win road games. A big bonus road win would be @ the Rams but don't count on that one unless the Rams sustain some keys injuries before then. IMO

Uncle Si

Reaction score
adeltaY":rju8xeut said:
All good responses. I think we need to beat the Rams in LA and I think we can.

I think we need to beat the Lions in Detroit.

I know it's the next game, but it's also one of the easier games left. Win the next two and the Rams game isn't as critical.

Would be 5-4 with 5 of the next 7 at home, and the two toughest opponents in Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":6r7x33ik said:
I think it will take a 10-6 to get in the playoffs for sure. To do that the Hawks need to win against the Lions & Panthers;both must win road games. A big bonus road win would be @ the Rams but don't count on that one unless the Rams sustain some keys injuries before then. IMO

Kinda where I'm at......anytime you drop a game or two at home, that means you have to pick up a couple on the road.

A hard task in the NFL, and especially for the Hawks who don't have a very good record traveling east.

I said this last week, if we can get to December with a .500 record? I like our odds. We play the Niners twice and the Cards at home in December. With how mediocre the NFC is this year, that should be right in the WC hunt.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am with the "One game at a time" crowd. I just like the fact we are talking about playoffs without it being followed by frenzied laughter. If this team continues it's current trend upward there is no reason they can't be in the mix in the NFC come late December. Still on pace for 8-8 but 9-7, 10-6 is not out of the question in the least with the way they are playing and barring any catastrophic injuries, I don't see the team suddenly sucking. This could be a very dangerous team come December.

sutz

Reaction score
Aros":3izhw3gv said:
I am with the "One game at a time" crowd. I just like the fact we are talking about playoffs without it being followed by frenzied laughter. If this team continues it's current trend upward there is no reason they can't be in the mix in the NFC come late December. Still on pace for 8-8 but 9-7, 10-6 is not out of the question in the least with the way they are playing and barring any catastrophic injuries, I don't see the team suddenly sucking. This could be a very dangerous team come December.
Basically what I said above. No guarantees, but the chances look improved after Sunday. Now, if we can just win the game after the bye week. Get on a little roll here. At .500, we're definitely not out of it.

kf3339

Reaction score
Had us at 9-7 before the season, and sticking to it. Maybe a win more or less.

The team is definitely starting to improve in areas I thought would take more time. Our O and D lines have really stepped up this past few weeks. Our running game is starting to look like 2012 in some ways. Just more by committee instead of one beastmode back. Our secondary is holding its own, which considering all new guys is saying something.

Last, our coaches seem to be making a very positive statement to the players and us fans. I actually think PC may have picked the right guys around him for the next few years.

I don't see the playoffs this year, but anything is possible. But I do see a return to a true contending team staring next year. Hard to say at this point. But things are trending upwards!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I wouldn't say we "should" make the playoffs, but we certainly "could" and have as good a chance as a lot of other teams like Carolina, Atlanta, GB, Detroit, Dallas, Philly, Minny, Chicago. I think the only locks are Rams and NO. Both those teams look built for a good regular season run but could be beaten in the playoffs by a stout defense and good run game.

So it's all out there with a lack of multiple dominant teams. It'll come down to who gets hot as the season progresses. I don't see us there yet but if we can beat Detroit, Carolina, GB and our 3 remaining games against SF and ARI, then I think we will be in a good position for a WC.

James in PA

Reaction score
The game at Detroit will tell us a lot. It’s the type of game we SHOULD win. But it’s also the type of game we have lost all too often in the past — playing down to an inferior opponent on the road. If the Hawks are going to have a chance at the playoffs, they absolutely cannot lose to a team like Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":385ql0uj said:
Looks more possible now than last week. :twisted:
LOL, Normally I'd agree with you on this, but last week showed a hell of an up trending in play, against one of the best teams in the NFL, the fact that they held the score to 2 measily points showed that they can pretty much hang with just about anybody.
Plus, the Offense (for me) is starting to show some bits & pieces of continuity.
Ifedi seems to have really benefitted from having DJ Fluker at his side...Seems he's no longer the chains weakest link.
With the Offense eating up more time on the clock, the Defense is getting some much needed rest between bouts.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This team was literally gifted 2 free games on the schedule when the 49ers lost their starting QB.

While I still think this is a 7-9 to 8-8 team, those 2 49ers games that we normally would have likely split - become almost sure wins. Which means 9-7 at least.

I don't know that 9-7 would be enough, but with some of the rest of the NFC stubbing their toes...it just might.

Division is out but a wild card should be reasonable given 2 extra free wins on the schedule.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
This team is markedly improving by the week, particularly on offense so 9-7 is not out of the question. 7-3 down the stretch could be tough but this team is really starting to play together and seemingly for one another--very '12 like and that's highly encouraging. With all the home games we have in the 2nd half, it could be a very intriguing finish. Stay tuned!

toffee

Reaction score
It would be such a joyous event if this team makes the playoff because on paper it really shouldn't. This team more or less using two rookies (Penny, a true rookie, Carson, he played how many games last year?) RBs, a rookie CB in Flowers, then a bunch of low budget castoffs from offense to defense.

If this team makes the playoff, it's all down to playing very hungry as a team. Result of exorcism from big mouths and finger flippers.

Seymour

Reaction score
Should is a stretch, could is getting a boost IMO. 8)

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":14bay404 said:
Seymour":14bay404 said:
Should is a stretch, could is getting a boost IMO. 8)

well said dude.
Basically where I'm at, too. I'd say our chances improved over the last couple of weeks, but the team has a long way to go til the end.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
toffee":15rv6xeb said:
Would be pretty tough, if only we took one of those winnable losses? We could be 4-2 at this point. After Oakland, we have two 9ers and one cardinal game, all three winnable. All rest are difficult:

@ Lions (2-3) --- W
Chargers (4-2) --- L
@Rams (6-0) --- L
Packers (2-2-1) --- W
@Panther (3-2) --- L
9ers (1-4) --- W
Vikings (3-2-1) --- W
@9ers (1-4) --- W
Chiefs (5-0) --- L
Cardinals (1-5) --- W

That will give us 9-7, way above my pre-season expectations. Hopefully, the Chiefs will be wither fading or saving our legs for post season so we can steal a win, haha that could make us 10-6 and opportunity for wild card.

I think we would be lucky to beat both the Packers and Vikings..... maybe we would beat 1.