This weeks Fire Bevell Thread

DavidSeven

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":20y9xin7 said:
...I wish we'd pull a late 2012 season Baltimore Ravens, that's all I'll say any further about it.

Who's the best offensive coordinator in football who isn't being carried by their offensive guru HC or a HOF QB?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x5qeome said:
Is it Bevell's fault that most of his run plays require a good blocking TE and a good blocking FB, neither of which we had Sunday.
This one is at least partly on the coaching staff and Bevell. Injuries suck but the game plan should always be about the players on the field and not the players we want to have on the field. The coaching staff has better information on Willson than anybody else has and an outcome where he loses a lot of one on one blocking assignments against very good defensive performances had to have been at least partly anticipated.

I do agree with your larger point that it is a tough task to plan around players losing their assignments. I'm sure Bailey would have factored in at least somewhat if he was healthy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2e3sviu7 said:
Who's the best offensive coordinator in football who isn't being carried by their offensive guru HC or a HOF QB?
Because no coordinator can be good if they've got a great QB, right? You're disqualifying every OC with a great QB because you think, what, the success is due solely to the quarterback? What if, God forbid, some smart coordinators/coaches use a base offense uniquely suited towards their QB and that plays a role in their success? :shock: Naw, that can't be possible. :roll:

I like the base offense the Patriots use. Wildly varying formations all the time compared to us is a good part of why. Seattle has stupidly simple pre-snap formations most of the time that telegraph too much information to opposing defenses for my tastes. The Cowboys have switched to it, too.

I really like the idea of a system based on pass route concepts rather than specific routes. They go over the advantages and how the Patriots use it well in that second link; I highly recommend you read the full thing, it's not very long.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have to be honest after watching chalk talk with Brock I have to take a little bit of the blame away from Bevell. On the 6 plays they targeted him it looks like it wasn't so much the play call but the execution of guys within the play. I still have no idea why he isn't letting him a more conventional route tree, at least at times. Bottom line we need to execute better. Baldwin, Kearse, Willson etc. all lost multiple one on one battles in every Harvin play. Unacceptable.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
austinslater25":10w0dwrt said:
I have to be honest after watching chalk talk with Brock I have to take a little bit of the blame away from Bevell. On the 6 plays they targeted him it looks like it wasn't so much the play call but the execution of guys within the play. I still have no idea why he isn't letting him a more conventional route tree, at least at times. Bottom line we need to execute better. Baldwin, Kearse, Willson etc. all lost multiple one on one battles in every Harvin play. Unacceptable.
A large part of what constitutes being a great coordinator is not bashing your head against a wall trying to get your guys to do something they can't consistently do.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree and I'm not giving Bevell a free pass by any means. But our guys have to execute. There is zero excuse as a wideout/tight end to flat out lose your one on one block assignment multiple times in a game. Kearse is bigger than anyone he's blocking and yet got beat multiple times? I don't think its too much to ask your wideouts to win a block every once in a while. If they can't get Norwood out there or Richardson.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":11lmn3jd said:

The clarity that is ascertained from this post is unacceptable.

FIRE BEVELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Oh, and just in case, :sarcasm_on:

It's almost Thursday, one day closer to us getting back on track!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1t7qf6ep said:
RolandDeschain":1t7qf6ep said:
...I wish we'd pull a late 2012 season Baltimore Ravens, that's all I'll say any further about it.

Norv?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3hih6nt6 said:
This is what befuddles me.....what happened to where RW is now hesitant in throwing receivers open? He was doing that for the past 2 years, what or who got in his head. They need to have that 2012-13 Russell Wilson back. The playmaker who isn't afraid to throw to receivers who are covered.

Wilson has had moments of hesitation for his entire career, right back to his first game. It's come and gone.

I love what Russell Wilson is: an NFL quarterback with 90% of the mistakes removed. Where other QBs end broken plays with sacks and interceptions, Wilson usually turns them into incomplete passes - at worst. Oftentimes they become first down scrambles or even brilliant 30+ yard plays. But the cost to his conservatism is missing a lot of WRs who are open.

I've wondered how Peyton Manning would do throwing to our guys. Would he be willing to thread more needles? Or are there really no windows for him to fit the throws into? A good question.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":zd90t8yb said:
hawkfan68":zd90t8yb said:
This is what befuddles me.....what happened to where RW is now hesitant in throwing receivers open? He was doing that for the past 2 years, what or who got in his head. They need to have that 2012-13 Russell Wilson back. The playmaker who isn't afraid to throw to receivers who are covered.

Wilson has had moments of hesitation for his entire career, right back to his first game. It's come and gone.

I love what Russell Wilson is: an NFL quarterback with 90% of the mistakes removed. Where other QBs end broken plays with sacks and interceptions, Wilson usually turns them into incomplete passes - at worst. Oftentimes they become first down scrambles or even brilliant 30+ yard plays. But the cost to his conservatism is missing a lot of WRs who are open.

I've wondered how Peyton Manning would do throwing to our guys. Would he be willing to thread more needles? Or are there really no windows for him to fit the throws into? A good question.

According to Millan, Huard and MH as well as the all22 and most of the experts there was not much if a window to through to, and when there was there were 4 drops and Rw did miss a few Most of Rw hesitation is the birdy in his ear call POC saying no turnovers, no chances, no middle of the field. I mean it is well documented PC preaches it to Rw and sometimes it back fires. Hopefully PC will get over it and realize being to careful leads to more mistakes than just playing the game

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3k46ks1r said:
DavidSeven":3k46ks1r said:
RolandDeschain":3k46ks1r said:

Norv?

Norv struggling mightily in Minny to score points, but then, who can blame him?

HansGruber

Reaction score
Anthony!":axir2s7n said:
According to Millan, Huard and MH as well as the all22 and most of the experts there was not much if a window to through to, and when there was there were 4 drops and Rw did miss a few Most of Rw hesitation is the birdy in his ear call POC saying no turnovers, no chances, no middle of the field. I mean it is well documented PC preaches it to Rw and sometimes it back fires. Hopefully PC will get over it and realize being to careful leads to more mistakes than just playing the game

Pete's response to that would be that Seattle had the ball with 4 minutes left, down by 4, in a game they had been dominated all day long. We all agree Dallas' defense was just playing more physical and beating Seattle in the one-on-one matchups all day. They dominated Seattle in almost every possible statistic.

And yet, after all that, Seattle was only down by 4 points with 4 minutes left in the game. Even after failing to convert on 4th inside their own 30, they still came back down by a touchdown with a full minute left to tie it up.

That is quite literally Pete's philosophy. And it's hard to argue. Had Wilson taken a bunch of risks throwing it into coverage, it's a good chance we're looking at one of those Hasselbeck/Krieg type games where we're down by 21 points going into the 4th quarter with really no chance at all of a comeback.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2onjoquh said:
Scottemojo":2onjoquh said:
DavidSeven":2onjoquh said:
RolandDeschain":2onjoquh said:

Norv?

Norv struggling mightily in Minny to score points, but then, who can blame him?
Yes, but what he did in Cleveland last year was amazing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm not trying to excuse Wilson missing seeing open receivers, but you can literally point to the best QBs in the league missing open receivers multiple times every single game. Find me a game where Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, or Brady never threw a pass to someone that was covered (or threw it away) while someone else was open.

I'll fax a virtual cake to you, or something.