Thomas duo will be shut down, only two to worry about

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
What I really loved in the NFCCG was seeing Avril and Bennett both crashing the right side of the OL on a few major plays, both of those guys can beat their man and Peyton doesn't have the agility to be able to roll left away from them and still get off a good pass. Chris Clemons off of the LT, and Avril and Bennett coming from the RT, and I dare you not to double Brandon Mebane or Tony McDaniels depending on which one is in at the moment because they'll eat your center for breakfast. Seattle creates pass rush with their front 4 and lets their LB's play in space, or crash the screen, or cover down field running stride for stride with the top TE's in the NFL, just ask Jimmy Graham... If Peyton hesitates for more than a second he's liable to be the latest victim of the strip-sack by Avril, picked up and returned for decent yards by Michael Bennett.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
For you Denver fans that think Russell Wilson is just a "game manager", would you come back to this thread after the game and admit you were wrong if Russell ends up being the SB MVP?

Or, on the assumption that he is the MVP, would you still maintain that he is just a game manager?

Penman96

Reaction score
youngchew":24f63vtc said:
TzarokHawkFan":24f63vtc said:
They have 5 guys with 10+ TD's, Thomas 1 & 2 aren't their only targets.

This. D Thomas, Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, Eric Decker all 10+ touchdowns. Knowshon Moreno 1,000+ yard rusher and 500 yards receiving, 10 touchdowns. Shutting down Demaryus Thomas and Julius Thomas is literally not even half the battle, as three other guys are legit threats. People on here keep saying how Peyton hasn't faced a defense like Seattle's this season. Well, Seattle D hasn't faced an offense like this.

You cannot blitz Peyton Manning, because he will "Omaha Omaha" the hell out of it, make adjustments, and pass to the open hole in the exposed defense. If Seattle can get pressure on Peyton with just 4 (which I believe they can), it will be a long day for Manning. He doesn't like having to move around much in the pocket. Not having much arm strength left, Peyton needs to be comfortable and be able to set his feet to throw.

And yet Denver is only averaging about 24 points a game in the playoffs, at home, in good weather, against defenses like San Diego and New England. Quote all the stats you like, I'm seeing results that aren't scaring the Seahawks defense very much in a cold weather neutral venue.

In fact - looking at playoff points scored, Seattle's offenses is better than Denver's given they have about the same point totals against far superior opponents and in worse conditions.

sutz

Reaction score
Omaha is in Nebraska. That's where Peyton will wish he was on Sunday. ;)

Northhawk

Reaction score
My concern is how we defend against the Bronco's stacked or bunch formations. I can't remember which game but didn't the Saints or another team do some damage against us using stack and bunch formations. The either we adjusted or they stopped using them. Either way, I remember the D looking a bit sloppy trying to defend against these formations.

Manning and the Broncos are one of the best with these formations so i wonder how Pete plans to defend against them.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Bunch formations are designed to take away the defenses ability to jam the receivers and disrupt timing routes. This has given seattle problems in the past, but the last couple times I've seen it used against us, we did better.

To me, this is one of the keys to winning the Super Bowl. How well can we handle bunched sets and the pick play?

The other key is how well we can pass the ball vs Denver. If their very good pass rush is hounding Wilson all day and our offense stalls because of it, then it will be imperative that the defense answer. If our oline gives Wilson enough protection to slice up their secondary and force THEM to race us on the scoreboard, it will relieve the defense of those bunched sets, allowing us to give up the middle for long drives and then hold in the red zone.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Miile High":1ehq7b12 said:
Again, I come in peace...if that's still on the table at this point LOL.

But with a QB that only averages 25 pass attempts per game (last in the NFL among starting QBs), are you saying that a lot is asked of him? Seattle is dead last in pass attempts per game, and second in the league in running plays. As I said earlier, I was just making a point that Wilson isn't asked to put the team on his back and lead them to victory. he's not asked to sling it 40+ times a game like Stafford, Matt Ryan, Brees, etc. Wilson's primary job is to hand it off to Marshawn Lynch, and when asked to throw, make safe, smart passes, and don't turn it over. Bevell doesn't ask Wilson to go out there and take over a game with his arm.

Wilson walked into a stacked team his rookie year. Top 2 defense, top 3 running back. Not too shabby LOL.

He's not asked to sling it 40+ times because very rarely is he in a position to have to throw and throw and throw to bring the team back.

I can see what you're trying to say, but the game manager label doesn't fully stick with Russell Wilson.

It's kind of like the Broncos defensive stats in a nut shell. The Broncos look a lot better against the run than they probably are because of the fact teams have to abandon that when they're down 21 early.. conversely your pass defense takes a hit because teams are throwing and throwing and throwing.

Numbers do not always tell the whole story basically.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm curious about this obsession about passing yards and attempts by Pony fans.

We play old school football. That means that too many attempts and too much yardage passing is a bad thing. It means you're behind a lot and catching up. I know not that many years ago the talking heads used to list 100 yard rushers and 300 yard passers. IIRC the 100 yard rushers were somewhere around 90% on winning teams, whereas the 300 yard passers tended to be more like 50/50 W/L. I suppose that is different now, but so what?

Seattle plays Seattle football, which means individuals don't get many chances at gaudy stats, but they win a lot of games. :229031_shrug:

irocdave

Reaction score
Papa-pwn":2nqyatsh said:
Renohawk":2nqyatsh said:
Yes, and like many people have pointed out, how many top D have they faced?

How many top offenses has Seattle faced?

Little known fact, Denver's offense has played more games against top 10 defenses than the Seahawks' defense has played against top 10 offenses. The only top 10 offense Seattle has played is New Orleans. They are the 10th ranked scoring offense, who also sucks on the road, averaging less than 20 points per road game.

Little known fact 4 of the 5 games the Donkeys played against "top 10" defenses were 2 teams in their own division twice. KC and the Chargers. The lone NFC team was the Eagles. Pfff. Eagles play in the worst division in football and the Cheaifs had the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL. Little known FACT, who had the easiest schedule in the NFL this year? Prepare to watch the Donkeys get it handed to them again in the SB. Next Sunday will make 5 beat downs in 7 SB appearances. That's got to be getting close to a record for SB losses isn't it?