Thomas duo will be shut down, only two to worry about

themunn

Reaction score
Miile High":5hbdj1a7 said:
Wilson is 44th in pass attempts per game among all QBs. 44th! Wilson only averages 25 pass atempts per game, one of only 3 full time starting QBs who average less than 30 passes a game.

He also sat out two halves of football in games against Jacksonville and Minnesota where we blew out the opposition, and countless other games where we went ahead by so much the ball was just run to run out the clock.

Additionally, Seattle ran just 973 plays, 4th least in the league, of course his number of attempts are going to be low comparitvely. He also had 539 rushing yards, putting him just 100 yards shy of 4000 total yards, not bad for a guy who snapped the ball nearly 25% less than Manning.

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
Basically if Seahawks play their A game on all 3 phases the game is not close. To be completely honest if Lynch and the run game gets going early, the play action long passes will be open all day against the Broncos. Harvin, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse call all beat one on one coverage deep! I have alot of respect for the Broncos team and Manning at the sametime if the Broncos play their A game vs Seattle A game I believe Seattle wins by 10+ points... I think Harvin and Lynch running the ball is going to put a ton of stress on the DL of Denver...

JGreen79

Reaction score
Early in the year I think week 2 the broncos receivers were called "The Four Horseman" in an interview. Don't remember if they called themselves that or the interviewer. But I remember thinking it would be awesome to see legion of boom vs the four horseman. Now we get that it's gonna be epic.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Miile High":2k3y7iw3 said:
LOL @ all the quotes generated from the game manager comment.

Look guys, Wilson is a good QB. He's smart, mature, humble, all that good stuff.

Wilson is 44th in pass attempts per game among all QBs. 44th! Wilson only averages 25 pass atempts per game, one of only 3 full time starting QBs who average less than 30 passes a game.

Look guys, I'm not out to attack Wilson...he's a good guy, and the right QB for that team. But a QB who only throws the ball 25 times a game? Not a whole lot is being asked of him. Russell Wilson is not asked to put the team on his back and lead them to victory the way Rodgers, Brady, Romo, Stafford, etc. are. Those guys all throw it a lot more than Wilson because their defenses are suspect so they have to put up a lot of points to win.

Wilson on the other hand, benefits from having the #1 defense in the NFL, so Seattle's offense doesn't have to score a whole lot of points to win. Let the defense do its thing, feed Marshawn Lynch, and Wilson is asked to make smart, safe throws when he needs to. Seahawks are 2nd in the league with 509 rushing attempts, the only team that ran the ball more was Buffalo. Seattle is a run-first team. Wilson is like a more athletic Alex Smith.

Seattle's offense did manage to put up a lot of points this season, but when your defense leads the entire NFL with 39 turnovers, Seahawks got a ton of extra possessions, often times on a short fields...

The bottom line point I'm trying to make is this: Russell Wilson averages 25 pass attempts a game. That's dead last among starting NFL QBs. That's a game manager. Wilson is a really good young QB, but he isn't asked to go out there and sling it on a weekly basis like many other young QBs are...Luck, RG3, Tannehil, etc. All those guys average 35 or more passes per game, 10 more than Wilson. Wilson's job is to hand it off to Marshawn, and make smart throws when necessary.

lol? what are you a teenage girl?

its not funny, you're just wrong.

youre answering your own questions about "game managing"... its part of a "game plan get a clue, its a balanced attack. Wilson doesnt "have" to throw. the Seahawks are rarely behind, rarely in a position that they "need" to do anything. Not to mention of those 25 attempts there are big yardage throws mixed in. Its fine you've not much idea of the Seattle offense, but dont compare it to others youve no idea about in some attempt to prove a point thats already invalid.

unlike your man who tosses TDs from 3 yards out to ensure he sets records. this conversation is making me dislike Manning

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Miile High":g6dcb2na said:
LOL @ all the quotes generated from the game manager comment.

Look guys, Wilson is a good QB. He's smart, mature, humble, all that good stuff.

Look guys, I'm not out to attack Wilson...he's a good guy, and the right QB for that team. But a QB who only throws the ball 25 times a game? Not a whole lot is being asked of him. Russell Wilson is not asked to put the team on his back and lead them to victory the way Rodgers, Brady, Romo, Stafford, etc. are. Those guys all throw it a lot more than Wilson because their defenses are suspect so they have to put up a lot of points to win.

Wilson on the other hand, benefits from having the #1 defense in the NFL, so Seattle's offense doesn't have to score a whole lot of points to win. Let the defense do its thing, feed Marshawn Lynch, and Wilson is asked to make smart, safe throws when he needs to. Seahawks are 2nd in the league with 509 rushing attempts, the only team that ran the ball more was Buffalo. Seattle is a run-first team. Wilson is like a more athletic Alex Smith.

Seattle's offense did manage to put up a lot of points this season, but when your defense leads the entire NFL with 39 turnovers, Seahawks got a ton of extra possessions, often times on a short fields...

The bottom line point I'm trying to make is this: Russell Wilson averages 25 pass attempts a game. That's dead last among starting NFL QBs. That's a game manager. Wilson is a really good young QB, but he isn't asked to go out there and sling it on a weekly basis like many other young QBs are...Luck, RG3, Tannehil, etc. All those guys average 35 or more passes per game, 10 more than Wilson. Wilson's job is to hand it off to Marshawn, and make smart throws when necessary.

Wilson's YPA: 8.25

Peyton Manning YPA: 8.3

So if Wilson is a game manager, then so is Manning.

Except, if Manning gets in trouble he flops to the ground. If Wilson gets in trouble, he pulls a Houdini and completes a mind blowing throw. You're going to be pissed when your DL can't tackle him and he kills you for it.

Miile High

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1jncvtw2 said:

Peyton Manning, a game manager? The QB who broke the NFL record for both TD passes and passing yards in a single season, and led the NFL in pass attempts. Manning literally has thrown more than double the TDs that Wilson has....

Lol anchorman

its all good man...everything in me said posting that stuff about Wilson being a game manager woudln't go over well...LOL. Most fans on other teams forums agree about Wilson being a good, reliable game manager type QB, but I guess it was a bad idea to criticize Wilson on a Seahawks forum LOL. Again, not a knock Russell at all. Seattle is winning games, and that's all that matters.

themunn

Reaction score
He's not calling Manning a game manager, he's saying Wilson is not, and if you think he is, then by definition, so is Manning

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Miile High":2v7htutc said:
Sarlacc83":2v7htutc said:

Peyton Manning, a game manager? The QB who broke the NFL record for both TD passes and passing yards in a single season, and led the NFL in pass attempts. Manning literally has thrown more than double the TDs that Wilson has....

Lol anchorman

its all good man...everything in me said posting that stuff about Wilson being a game manager woudln't go over well...LOL. Most fans on other teams forums agree about Wilson being a good, reliable game manager type QB, but I guess it was a bad idea to criticize Wilson on a Seahawks forum LOL. Again, not a knock Russell at all. Seattle is winning games, and that's all that matters.

The irony of posting a Brick Tamland gif is that you're the one who missed the point. Not really surprising though, because you Broncos fans seem to think Manning has a winning playoff record and multiple Super Bowls to show for it. Even worse, none of you remembers the 2007 Patriots who set the offensive record and were 18-0 going to the Superb Owl.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Miile High":3rn8ko3c said:
Sarlacc83":3rn8ko3c said:

Lol anchorman

Still with the LOL... you really are something... your mom know you're on the internet?

watching manning this year was like watching a kid go for the heismann... just racking up stats regardless of the moment or necessity.

so much to be proud of.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Miile High":3irag5nr said:
Sarlacc83":3irag5nr said:

Lol anchorman

So many people miss the point. Wilson gains as many yards, on average, every time he throws the ball as Peyton Manning does. Without the four horsemen. Without 40+ attempts per game. With "pedestrian" receivers....

People that call him a game manager only look at statistics, which is expected. He's a game manager in the sense that he doesn't make mistakes. That'd about it.

Treefiddy

Reaction score
Donkey fans are hilarious. I've been arguing with them all week about their defense. RW is gonna carve up that crap defense like butter. Lynch will have 100 yards and 1TD and RW will throw for 275 yards and 3 touchdowns.

chrispy

Reaction score
The definition of "game manager" is in question here. Many think of that term as a QB that doesn't have the ability to carry a team. I think it's been stated earlier in this thread that Wilson "can't" carry a team on his back. Obviously that idea has been thrown around in the media. However, he does when it's needed.

When the team is behind, Wilson comes through with a clutch sideline 30 yd pass to Tate or a 60 yard bomb to Baldwin. He has a crazy scramble to stretch a play and hit a first down to Lynch or run it himself. However, to say he doesn't do that every down, every game is absolutely accurate. He doesn't. He just does it enough to win games. When the D shuts down a game, Wilson doesn't throw bombs downfield. He doesn't scramble as much. Why would he? Does that make him a game manager? Maybe to some. I think it makes him situationally aware.

In my mind, Trent Dilfer in Baltimore was a game manager. He didn't ever show the ability to carry an offense and create a win. (Nothing against Dilfer here, he still earned his ring) But the D was that team. The Seahawks have a potent offense and Wilson owns multiple all-time QB records.

I think the real question here that would pinpoint everyone's point of view is the question: Do you think the Seahawks would have a chance with a slightly above average Defense? I absolutely think Wilson could outscore Peyton with Harvin coming back against Denver's D. If he needed to make plays to win the game, he'd manage it.

Miile High

Reaction score
Again, I come in peace...if that's still on the table at this point LOL.

But with a QB that only averages 25 pass attempts per game (last in the NFL among starting QBs), are you saying that a lot is asked of him? Seattle is dead last in pass attempts per game, and second in the league in running plays. As I said earlier, I was just making a point that Wilson isn't asked to put the team on his back and lead them to victory. he's not asked to sling it 40+ times a game like Stafford, Matt Ryan, Brees, etc. Wilson's primary job is to hand it off to Marshawn Lynch, and when asked to throw, make safe, smart passes, and don't turn it over. Bevell doesn't ask Wilson to go out there and take over a game with his arm.

Wilson walked into a stacked team his rookie year. Top 2 defense, top 3 running back. Not too shabby LOL.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Miile High":2p31fzqo said:

But with a QB that only averages 25 pass attempts per game (last in the NFL among starting QBs), are you saying that a lot is asked of him? Seattle is dead last in pass attempts per game, and second in the league in running plays. As I said earlier, I was just making a point that Wilson isn't asked to put the team on his back and lead them to victory. he's not asked to sling it 40+ times a game like Stafford, Matt Ryan, Brees, etc. Wilson's primary job is to hand it off to Marshawn Lynch, and when asked to throw, make safe, smart passes, and don't turn it over. Bevell doesn't ask Wilson to go out there and take over a game with his arm.

Wilson walked into a stacked team his rookie year. Top 2 defense, top 3 running back. Not too shabby LOL.

You seem to forget the mentions of Wilson as MVP candidate this season. Broncos fans don't understand that a run first philosophy does not equate game manager QB.

12evanf

Reaction score
chrispy":3tn4aphi said:
The definition of "game manager" is in question here. Many think of that term as a QB that doesn't have the ability to carry a team. I think it's been stated earlier in this thread that Wilson "can't" carry a team on his back. Obviously that idea has been thrown around in the media. However, he does when it's needed.

When the team is behind, Wilson comes through with a clutch sideline 30 yd pass to Tate or a 60 yard bomb to Baldwin. He has a crazy scramble to stretch a play and hit a first down to Lynch or run it himself. However, to say he doesn't do that every down, every game is absolutely accurate. He doesn't. He just does it enough to win games. When the D shuts down a game, Wilson doesn't throw bombs downfield. He doesn't scramble as much. Why would he? Does that make him a game manager? Maybe to some. I think it makes him situationally aware.

In my mind, Trent Dilfer in Baltimore was a game manager. He didn't ever show the ability to carry an offense and create a win. (Nothing against Dilfer here, he still earned his ring) But the D was that team. The Seahawks have a potent offense and Wilson owns multiple all-time QB records.

I think the real question here that would pinpoint everyone's point of view is the question: Do you think the Seahawks would have a chance with a slightly above average Defense? I absolutely think Wilson could outscore Peyton with Harvin coming back against Denver's D. If he needed to make plays to win the game, he'd manage it.

^ Exactly!

Manning's 1st 2 Seasons:

7 4th quarter comebacks
8 Game winning drives

Manning's previous 2 seasons:

5 4QC
5 GWD

Russell Wilson's 1st 2 Seasons (and previous 2):

8 4QC
10 GWD

My point? Russell Wilson is a game manager only until he isn't. He is absolutely clutch in the 4th Quarter. This year we are 3-0 when behind by 10 points or more in a game. When the game is on the line, Russell puts the team on his back and wills his team to victory. Its just that he usually doesn't need to.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
12evanf":3j5mv1he said:
My point? Russell Wilson is a game manager only until he isn't.

One of the better sentences I've seen around here in a while. Perfect way to say it. Because we run so much doesn't = Wilson being limited to a game manager due to his lack of talent. We have the luxury of a great RB, so we use it. Should we not hand off? You can't call Russ a game manager just because we have the benefit of a running game - the dude can still play.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
I have faith that any one of our guys can cover damaryius, eric, and julius. Any one of our guys can matchup and manup with these guys imo.

Welker is the one that worries me. Especially if we are able to get pressure on manning, he will look for quick throws to the shifty welker. Also, knowing Peyton, he is studying right know and looking at getting welker the most favorable matchups.

I think thurmond will come up huge in this regard. Thurmond is a great back, as we all know, and I think he is athletic enough for this task.

But shermon on demaryius, maxwell on decker and chancellor/wright/Wagner on Julius? Yes please. I'll take that all day. Just need to kill their run game and get pressure on peyton. Disrupt his/their timing, make manning have happy feet.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Miile High":18hz16hw said:

Please don't say you come in peace and proceed to stir the pot.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84688

Miile High

Reaction score
Wait...so I can't have a healthy debate/argue with opposing fans about opinions? Sheesh.

Fair enough, if that's the rules here....

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Statistics allow you to spot trends. That is about all they are good for. Trash time touchdowns to create a scoring master rather than an apprentice dont really mean much to a team only out to win and get better by putting in people that need experience in games. The more experience a teams second string has, the better the chances of a playoff contender the team as a whole becomes. Plug and play players are what the Seahawks have at the moment because of the rotation and putting in the second/third string players during trash scoring running times. They dont need stats to make them feel better about their Quarterback..they need people ready to jump in for a gassed or injured player. Plug and play operators. Welcome to our board. Thanks for the conversation.
Go Hawks.

Latest posts