Thoughts about our OLine ?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd be happier without Curhan who is also nicked up and playing with bad ankle. Curious to know if he is on the injury list this week.

toffee

Reaction score
Our OL ain't good, but guess who else has OL issues? Our bud down south in Santa Clara:

PFF SF vs SEA

According to PFF, we both not good at pass blocking, but they sucked more. They are very good at run blocking, we weren't far behind. For two teams both suck at Pass blocking, our passing was graded higher, but their receiving is graded way higher!! Can someone more into XO help us understand all these?

AgentDib

Reaction score
Health continues to be a problem for the OL this week based on the Wednesday injury report.

Of course Abe Lucas is also still on the IR indefinitely.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The o-line is a walking MASH unit. Hopefully the Brown injury isn't too bad. He's been solid all year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yes they did. There were too many unneccesary long developing pass plays called. Either Geno needed to get rid of tge ball quicker or the plays should have been adjusted for quicker throws. blocking on 41 pass attempts is alot unless you are getting the ball out quick on that many attempts.
LOLOLOL "Long Developing Plays" AND repetitive plays that the Defense saw coming a mile away (game film), called by Waldron, so, hmmm, WHO & WHERE was Geno supposed to make quicker throws to when the DEFENSE KNEW THE PLAY & were on Geno like 'White On Rice' ??
Hello Shane W. McFly???

Fade

Reaction score
Our OL ain't good, but guess who else has OL issues? Our bud down south in Santa Clara:

View attachment 61300

According to PFF, we both not good at pass blocking, but they sucked more. They are very good at run blocking, we weren't far behind. For two teams both suck at Pass blocking, our passing was graded higher, but their receiving is graded way higher!! Can someone more into XO help us understand all these?
PFF grades are more like scheming grades. Seattle has one of the best secondaries in football,.but at times the scheme makes them look bad.

(They are asked to play soft and stay on top at times. They do that , give up the cheap completion underneath--they weren't beat, but are graded on that play as if they were.)

You think SF's secondary is better than the Seahawks by a country mile? According to PFF grades that's the case. Seattle is mid and SF's secondary is elite. Laughable.

On the flipside. Kyle makes bad management decisions at times. But he is one of the best at scheming an open, defined, 1st read for his passing game.

So PFF looks at that and gives the receiver a high grade for being so open.
Giving too much credit to the player and not weighing the scheme enough.

And as long as the QB delivers it accurately, he too will get a high grade.

PFF is adequate for D-Line, O-Line. Winning up front and all of that. I usually nod my head with those rankings.

The other stuff usually draws a few WTF's outta me.

PFF is merely a guide, not a bible or an unquestionable doctrine.

knownone

Reaction score

View attachment 61300

PFF's passing grade is mostly a QB grade. PFF has Geno ranked 9th and Purdy ranked 17th. So it's a reflection of who PFF's scouts believe is carrying the load in each respective offense. Ours is clearly pretty balanced, while the Niners is less about the QB and more about the receivers and scheme.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I'd be happier without Curhan who is also nicked up and playing with bad ankle. Curious to know if he is on the injury list this week.

Ask, and ye shall receive...

From the injury-report article on the Seahawks web site:
Did Not Participate In Practice
  • C Evan Brown (hip)
  • RB Zach Charbonnet (hamstring)
  • T Jake Curhan (ankle)
  • WR DK Metcalf (ribs/hip)
Limited Participation In Practice
  • T Charles Cross (ankle)
  • G Phil Haynes (calf)
  • G Damien Lewis (ankle)
  • WR Tyler Lockett (hamstring)
  • CB Artie Burns (hamstring)
  • CB Tre Brown (toe)

From the article text:
Offensive linemen Evan Brown and Jake Curhan missed practice on Wednesday due to injuries. Curhan suffered an ankle injury in the team's loss to the Bengals. He was able to make it through walkthrough, but the team will have to see him progress throughout the week before knowing if he will be available on Sunday. "Jake (Curhan) went through the walkthrough today," said head coach Pete Carroll. "He's moving okay for right now coming off the ankle in the game. I won't know though."

hoxrox

Reaction score
Apparently, Jason Peters has a quad injury so he might not be ready to go either. Don't like the situation at right tackle at all. TEs better be helping with the protection this weekend.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks man, much appreciated!!!

Our MASH unit OLine has done pretty well holding their own but when you get back to 3rd string at a critical position things start to get a tad dicey.

Hope Peters is ready to go.

LTH

Reaction score
Just saw the Wednesday injury report, I know it will be better by GameDay but the O line is a mess.

LTH

Seahawker

Reaction score
We need to commit to the run heavy and let the passing game come to us, utilize our TE's. Then with any luck approaching the playoffs, maybe the O-line will be healthy & come together. Rather see them lean on K9 & Charbs than trying to throw for 2nd and 3rd & long constantly.

bileever

Reaction score
Haynes, Curhan and Brown are still questionable for Sunday. But Damien Lewis and Charles Cross are a full go. The line looks like it could be Cross-Lewis-Oluwatimi-Bradford-and??? The right tackle is going to be Forsythe or Peters or maybe a hobbled Curhan??

I was worried when Cross and Lucas went out in game one. Well, worried is an understatement, I thought the seaon might be over. But then we were able to hold the O-line together with duct tape and elmer's glue and survive for three games.

When Cross came back, I thought our troubles were over, but clearly, we're not out of the woods yet. Hopefully some combination of Damien Lewis being healthy and maybe Jason Peters being ready can help put us back on track.

Maybe we need DJ Fluker?

bileever

Reaction score
Lucas on crutches can pass block better than Curhan.
To be fair, Curhan was hurt himself last Sunday, and played through his injury. He's had a couple of good games, and a couple of terrible ones. Same with Forsythe. From watching last week's game, I've got to think that a healthy Forsythe is going to be better than what we got out of Curhan against the Bengals.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Why is Cross listed with an ankle injury? Wasn’t he dealing with turf toe?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am concerned as we all are over our OL’s health. This begs the question, why don’t we incorporate more TE’s in for a sort of Max Protect like we did that one game (sorry I can’t remember which one) earlier in the season to fantastic success?

I love having the option of using our great three headed TE team on the outside when the game plan warrants it but sometimes you need to move them inside to help with protections especially when we are so beat up on the interior.

keasley45

Reaction score
I am concerned as we all are over our OL’s health. This begs the question, why don’t we incorporate more TE’s in for a sort of Max Protect like we did that one game (sorry I can’t remember which one) earlier in the season to fantastic success?

I love having the option of using our great three headed TE team on the outside when the game plan warrants it but sometimes you need to move them inside to help with protections especially when we are so beat up on the interior.

I think you're talking about the Detroit game. And yeah, I agree 100% that the strategy needs to shift...now, and elements of that shift kept for the rest of time.

Some of the crackdown and chip blocks that out TEs had in that Detroit game were brilliant. Instead of letting teams feast on our qb when our O line is weak, we should be making them pay by running more, hitting screens, and switching to the short passing game. And we need to do these things proactively, rather than reactively.

Latest posts