Three Seahawks - Kearse, ADB and Russ

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3bt04xdp said:
I find out funny that people bug people for things.

Celebrities should be left alone when out in public
Yeah, forget them. Give 'em the snub!

Your opinion is that "a celebrated person" (Merriam-Webster) - and usually referring to one in the entertainment business - should not be celebrated publicly? Are you against bodyguards making a living? ;)

Come on, man. It goes with the territory. People should be courteous to everyone regardless of public stature. But, for the famous... that's the breaks.

Besides, what celeb wouldn't enjoy talking to me? :lol: Seriously, I think it comes down to having some personal social skills and recognizing when it's cool and when it's not. Not that I could write the book on perfect social skills. But, I think most here know what I'm talking about.

Every chance meeting is not a photo op or time for a signature. When I spoke with Cortez Kennedy at a Costco here in Orlando, I was so enjoying the conversation that I didn't really care to get a photo or a sig. I already know what he looks like. Too, he told me he really enjoyed our conversation and even thanked me for approaching him.

Cortez mentioned our meeting in this write up: http://www.seahawks.com/news/2011/03/30 ... -conqueror That's not exactly what I said to him and we talked about much more than just what he mentioned, but I was honored that he mentioned that meeting in this important write up. Lowly me (no name necessary.) I'm actually glad I approached him. I was a bit hesitant, but it was worthwhile. If I follow your advice here, Tech Worlds, this never happens. One of the greatest sports days of my life.

I choose to live and not stay on the sidelines.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":30e3cjtp said:
Tech Worlds":30e3cjtp said:

Your opinion is that "a celebrated person" (Merriam-Webster) - and usually referring to one in the entertainment business - should not be celebrated publicly? Are you against bodyguards making a living? ;)

Come on, man. It goes with the territory. People should be courteous to everyone regardless of public stature. But, for the famous... that's the breaks.

Besides, what celeb wouldn't enjoy talking to me? [emoji38] Seriously, I think it comes down to having some personal social skills and recognizing when it's cool and when it's not. Not that I could write the book on perfect social skills. But, I think most here know what I'm talking about.

Every chance meeting is not a photo op or time for a signature. When I spoke with Cortez Kennedy at a Costco here in Orlando, I was so enjoying the conversation that I didn't really care to get a photo or a sig. I already know what he looks like. Too, he told me he really enjoyed our conversation and even thanked me for approaching him.

Cortez mentioned our meeting in this write up: http://www.seahawks.com/news/2011/03/30 ... -conqueror That's not exactly what I said to him and we talked about much more than just what he mentioned, but I was honored that he mentioned that meeting in this important write up. Lowly me (no name necessary.) I'm actually glad I approached him. I was a bit hesitant, but it was worthwhile. If I follow your advice here, Tech Worlds, this never happens. One of the greatest sports days of my life.

Good for you.

That's your style. Not mine. I leave famous people be.

Maybe it's cause I am not an autograph seeker or never felt the urge to fawn over someone because of who they are.

My loss. I guess, but just not my style.

two dog

Reaction score
The great basketball center Bill Russell would not give autographs.
He offered instead to shake hands with you because he said he felt it was more
personal and meaningful than his name inscribed on a piece of paper. I imagine
some fans got kind of bent because I doubt he took time to explain to each one.

Of course that was before everyone carried a computer and a camera (smartphone)
on their person.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would rather have the hand shake, anyone can get a paper and a name on it, fact is the sell all over the place and you have to ask is it real? The personal experience and a hand shake and thanks for what you do etc seems much more rewarding both for the player and the fan.

The other aspect is the player knows your not pumping him for merchandise to sell also unless your gonna cut off your hand.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":14duv593 said:
Well, I thought you had a decent post, other than your 'stalking" nonsense, up until your last paragraph. You want to tell me what to post?

I was there. I saw what happened. At face value, it WAS boorish behavior. I'll agree that there could have been other factors at work but we'll never know. It seems that many of you have a problem with questioning anything RW does. Just like the Good Man dialogue earlier this week.

From all that I've heard the last few years, the RW image that has been created, perhaps unfairly, has been one of connecting with fans and the public routinely. The 12s. The charity work is just one component.

So, again, I can tell you of this one example that just didn't seem to fit that image, at all. No more. No less.

I completely believe your story but can you imagine how many times Wilson is approached during an average day much less after a game like that. There is no way everyone's experience could be a positive one. This reminds me so much of all the people who have had negative experiences with Ken Griffey Jr yet he is the same guy he would charter a plane every year to take kids to Disneyland. I know it can suck for a kid when something like this happens but that is why they have signings and camps. I couldn't imagine the life the lead where every move is in the spot light. I would be happy to do it for the money though.

TeamoftheCentury":14duv593 said:
Ok, I'll chime in. Silver Hawk, you and I are probably similar in age. In any case, we have at least one kid in the same age bracket.

Perhaps the term "entitled" sounds harsh. But, from outside perspective reading this, I think one needs to remember that while any popular public figure is fair game for requests when seen in public and that goes with the territory, they are just that... requests. Otherwise, it's an "expectation." Maybe that word is more palatable. Too, you admitted part of your motivation for even going there. That's not stalking, but it's a distant, friendly cousin.

Because Russ is seen doing charitable work, there's the expectation that he would not turn down a 16 year old kid. Yeah, it would be disappointing, and I can understand that. But, there's no reason to question his general willingness to connect with fans. It does seem a bit out of character because of the lofty view with that charity work, etc. But, you really don't know what was going on in his mind. He's not perfect and perhaps he even regretted not taking the time with your son or felt bad he could not take the time to explain. It was an important time in his life and he was probably held up with all the interviews, etc. Maybe he just needed some time to himself at that moment. Given the circumstances, seems reasonable to me.

So, why did you post this if you didn't want to have at least some of us question if Russ is actually that good boy persona? You're laying it out there. Perhaps you're giving Kearse props, etc.

As far as the Earl Thomas sighting... I would have totally said hello and express appreciation without being overbearing. I've done so with Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr. (had a long conversation with him, no autograph, no pic. Just convo... mostly about the Seahawks, actually. It was great. I forgot who the guy was in chatting about the team.) You might think they don't need that affirmation, but they're human as well. There's lots of critics in life, so it's always nice to hear the pleasantries. I think when one comes across like they're worshipping a public figure that it comes across as tiring and all that. Not that Silver Hawk's son was doing that. I would just be grateful that you even SAW Russ in person after that game. That's pretty cool. Pat the guy on the back.

Hey, it's life. Enjoy what you get, try not to fret about what you don't. And, maybe don't post something that insinuates something about an All-World Classy QB that leaves it out there for speculation he doesn't deserve. ????? :Dunno: :twocents:

Giblien

Reaction score
Let's be honest, we've all been aholes to people at onetime or another. Doesn't make it OK, but nor does a single instance define a person's overall character.

Largent80

Reaction score
Him taking the time to come over, shake my hand, and sign everybody's merchandise during the bye week when we won the Superbowl at a taping of NFL total access. Totally gracious and something he DIDN'T have to do.

PBg2wXa

byau

Reaction score
Having been an autograph hound throughout the 90's, mostly Sonics which was AWESOME before the Key Arena renovation, I can say for sure it is a circumstantial thing.

In fact, I bet you could tell both stories (gracious vs abrupt) about every single celebrity

The same guy totally nice one night will be abrupt the next night. Depends on what's on the guys' mind, where he's coming from (who knows how many people have hit him up already?), where he's going to, all that stuff.

drdiags

Reaction score
I'm still bummed that my boy Tim Ruskell wouldn't show the love when I gave him props outside the Pyramid Ale house before a game. He stinks. J/K, carry on.

EDIT: I may have been liquored up and rather loud. But that is besides the point.

drdiags

Reaction score
Subzero717":160bt8lz said:
drdiags":160bt8lz said:
EDIT: I may have been liquored up and rather loud. But that is besides the point.

Id never believe that about you.

Unfortunately Lymonhawk has seen me at a game past tilt. Not one of my finer moments. Usually I have a hollow leg but I think I overdid it that one time.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":h539c2a0 said:
Subzero717":h539c2a0 said:
drdiags":h539c2a0 said:

Id never believe that about you.

Unfortunately Lymonhawk has seen me at a game past tilt. Not one of my finer moments. Usually I have a hollow leg but I think I overdid it that one time.

No officer I never saw a thing. I have no idea what those seven Iggle's fans are doing on the floor....honest! :les:

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If anyone remembers, Wilson was pretty seriously ill during that NFC Championship game.

There's a chance he went along for a while to be a team mate but really wanted to get straight to bed.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":38jxj21w said:
Eh, it was a 16 year old kid wanting a picture. Not his 50 year old dad (me).

I don't know. Maybe he was about to pee his pants or something.

What is so special about your child that they should be treated any differently? Maybe the guy just didn't want to get harassed for pics and autographs.

TAB420

Reaction score
He wasn't saying his kid deserved any special treatment. Just that athletes should have a little more patients when it comes to children. You never know what that one encounter could do in a young man or womans life.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3a7foc7o said:
TeamoftheCentury":3a7foc7o said:
Tech Worlds":3a7foc7o said:

Besides, what celeb wouldn't enjoy talking to me? [emoji38] Seriously, I think it comes down to having some personal social skills and recognizing when it's cool and when it's not. Not that I could write the book on perfect social skills. But, I think most here know what I'm talking about.

Good for you.

That's your style. Not mine. I leave famous people be.

Maybe it's cause I am not an autograph seeker or never felt the urge to fawn over someone because of who they are.

My loss. I guess, but just not my style.
Gotcha. No problem. I see your point and can respect how you feel about it. But, I'll just add this. I think we can, at times, give them a sense of normalcy because of "who they are". I don't advocate drooling over athletes or any other Celeb. If I could choose to hang with anyone it would be my immediate family. I'm not joking there. I would choose them first EVERY TIME - not Russell Wilson, no one else. Still, there are fascinating people in life. Not looking for contact with them, but if I run across a big time athlete... I don't mind giving them my autograph. ;)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
peppersjap":15ppc24q said:
Silver Hawk":15ppc24q said:
Well, I thought you had a decent post, other than your 'stalking" nonsense, up until your last paragraph. You want to tell me what to post?

I was there. I saw what happened. At face value, it WAS boorish behavior. I'll agree that there could have been other factors at work but we'll never know. It seems that many of you have a problem with questioning anything RW does. Just like the Good Man dialogue earlier this week.

From all that I've heard the last few years, the RW image that has been created, perhaps unfairly, has been one of connecting with fans and the public routinely. The 12s. The charity work is just one component.

So, again, I can tell you of this one example that just didn't seem to fit that image, at all. No more. No less.

I completely believe your story but can you imagine how many times Wilson is approached during an average day much less after a game like that. There is no way everyone's experience could be a positive one. This reminds me so much of all the people who have had negative experiences with Ken Griffey Jr yet he is the same guy he would charter a plane every year to take kids to Disneyland. I know it can suck for a kid when something like this happens but that is why they have signings and camps. I couldn't imagine the life the lead where every move is in the spot light. I would be happy to do it for the money though.

TeamoftheCentury":15ppc24q said:
Ok, I'll chime in. Silver Hawk, you and I are probably similar in age. In any case, we have at least one kid in the same age bracket.

Perhaps the term "entitled" sounds harsh. But, from outside perspective reading this, I think one needs to remember that while any popular public figure is fair game for requests when seen in public and that goes with the territory, they are just that... requests. Otherwise, it's an "expectation." Maybe that word is more palatable. Too, you admitted part of your motivation for even going there. That's not stalking, but it's a distant, friendly cousin.

Because Russ is seen doing charitable work, there's the expectation that he would not turn down a 16 year old kid. Yeah, it would be disappointing, and I can understand that. But, there's no reason to question his general willingness to connect with fans. It does seem a bit out of character because of the lofty view with that charity work, etc. But, you really don't know what was going on in his mind. He's not perfect and perhaps he even regretted not taking the time with your son or felt bad he could not take the time to explain. It was an important time in his life and he was probably held up with all the interviews, etc. Maybe he just needed some time to himself at that moment. Given the circumstances, seems reasonable to me.

So, why did you post this if you didn't want to have at least some of us question if Russ is actually that good boy persona? You're laying it out there. Perhaps you're giving Kearse props, etc.

As far as the Earl Thomas sighting... I would have totally said hello and express appreciation without being overbearing. I've done so with Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr. (had a long conversation with him, no autograph, no pic. Just convo... mostly about the Seahawks, actually. It was great. I forgot who the guy was in chatting about the team.) You might think they don't need that affirmation, but they're human as well. There's lots of critics in life, so it's always nice to hear the pleasantries. I think when one comes across like they're worshipping a public figure that it comes across as tiring and all that. Not that Silver Hawk's son was doing that. I would just be grateful that you even SAW Russ in person after that game. That's pretty cool. Pat the guy on the back.

Hey, it's life. Enjoy what you get, try not to fret about what you don't. And, maybe don't post something that insinuates something about an All-World Classy QB that leaves it out there for speculation he doesn't deserve. ????? :Dunno: :twocents:
Well, not sure who said what. I think the quotations got mixed. But, I'll respond again. The "stalking" distant cousin thing was a complete joke. Lol. I thought by framing it that way it would be obvious. You said you went there partly looking for players. Nothing wrong with that nor did I call it stalking. It was just said to point to the fact that you did go there with intent to hopefully run into players. So, you went there thinking if you saw anyone, you had your hopes up/ expectation of personal benefits. That's all, man. R-E-L-A-X!!!!

I live out of town and enjoyed running into a few current and former players on our last visit to town for a game.

Not telling you how to post, either. Say what you want, by all means. But, I respectfully disagree with the premise of your post - that Wilson should be questioned based on your experience.

Go Hawks!

Ganton

Reaction score
I'm quite bad on deciphering initials and acronyms, so please someone tell me: who is ADB? (Another Defensive Back? :lol: )

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Let me get this right.

You went to a place because you thought players might be there after the game? And were there a long time waiting? And you say it is for the kid?

This whole it is for the kid stuff sounds like BS. And why would you want to teach your kid that a picture or autograph with a famous person is important? That is a life lesson failure, Dad. Forget how the players reacted, good or bad, you failed this one.