Thurmond opinions?

jdblack

Reaction score
How do you guys think Thurmond played? Reggie Wayne caught quite a few on him, but they all seemed to be tight windows with excellent throws/catches. I was arguing him vs. Browner in my carpool this morning, and my buddy thinks he was as bad as Browner.

arghawkfan

Reaction score
I find it very hard to compare a slot corner vs an outside corner. A big part of Browner and Sherman's game relies on using the sideline as leverage to take away certain route possibilities, whereas a slot corner has to defend against so many more route possibilities.

I am of the opinion that Thurmond would be a better option at outside corner, and reserving Browner for larger slower wr's or even on te's in specialty packages. I felt more confident with our coverage in the 1st 2 games when BB was out then I do now, and with BB's contract running out after this year, id prefer rolling with Thurmond, even if Browner's physicallity and run support are valuable.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm starting to agree on Thurmond. Hate seeing Browner on a speed guy. Why not have Sherman shadow the speed guy? Browner on Hilton made no sense to me. It looks like over confidence to me....I think we need to consider moving Sherman around more depending on the matchup and opponent.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Thurmond is a better all around corner. Browner is a great Mauler, IMO. BB needs to be "matched up" to his strengths.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hilton did get about half his total yards on a single 70 yard bomb that BB was not responsible for. Yes, Browner got beat on a few plays. But so did Thurmond and so did Sherman. Earl missed tackles early that were costly. Not exactly a banner day for anyone in the LOB.

Let's not forget that BB made DeAndre Hopkins disappear the week before and was part of the unit that shutdown Jacksonville's passing offense (not difficult). Thurmond was playing outside corner with the second unit when CHAD HENNE started marching down the field. He's looked good in other instances, though.

Again, people overreact to one game. It's even crazier in this instance because Thurmond got beat plenty yesterday in much less playing time.

OP
OP
J

jdblack

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3iz15rhd said:
Hilton did get about half his total yards on a single 70 yard bomb that BB was not responsible for. Yes, Browner got beat on a few plays. But so did Thurmond and so did Sherman. Earl missed tackles early that were costly. Not exactly a banner day for anyone in the LOB.

Let's not forget that BB made DeAndre Hopkins disappear the week before and was part of the unit that shutdown Jacksonville's passing offense (not difficult). Thurmond was playing outside corner with the second unit when CHAD HENNE started marching down the field. He's looked good in other instances, though.

Again, people overreact to one game. It's even crazier in this instance because Thurmond got beat plenty yesterday in much less playing time.

I don't see anyone overreacting (edit: in this thread). There's nothing wrong with analyzing play, even when it's bad/after a loss.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jdblack":3i2fki2d said:
DavidSeven":3i2fki2d said:

I don't see anyone overreacting (edit: in this thread). There's nothing wrong with analyzing play, even when it's bad/after a loss.

I don't see anyone analyzing game play. I see people making general statements that BB should be replaced as outside corner based on one game, even though the rest of the secondary didn't play any better. That's an overreaction IMO. I would love to see actual analysis of his play compared to others. He's been active for three games this season and has been dominant in two of them. Thurmond had a so-so game in Carolina, was successful against Kaep's 2nd-read who's never targeted and has been okay in nickel packages since.

Seeker

Reaction score
not seeing any real reason to put one over the other.
both got burned a lot and Thurmond had a few plays where I clearly saw him not even attempting to look back at the ball to contest the pass (a cardinal sin that usually always gets a DPI call) yet STILL letting wayne catch those passes

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Hard to cover Reggie, dudes been balling for years.

Thurm is still a young and will learn to keep up with the rest of the defense. He should be thankful this game was during an off day for everyone else too, may have saved himself from the wrath of the coaches.

Honestly though, I only remember seeing him mess up noticeably three times (?) at the most. Could be more or less, would have to go back and watch the game to find out.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thurmond might as well be considered a rookie, with all the time he's missed. He is a great athlete and only going to get better as a DB. Being asked to cover Wayne...is a lot to ask. My bet is Thurmond is a better DB today, than he was on Saturday. There will be growing pains, for sure, but there's not many plug and play DBs out there. Let's see how he fares Sunday.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous. If Thurmond was playing great, this thread might be relevant. You want to replace your pro bowler with a guy that hasn't done anything. Just don't get it. They did anything they wanted to do on Thurmond. And that should earn him a promotion?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
If Thurmond remains healthy this year I hope we reward him by making him our new starting corner opposite of Sherman.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Browner matched up against Hilton was one of the many ways we got outcoached yesterday

BigMeach

Reaction score
Yeah let's see if he can stay healthy for more than a few games. Need reliability.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Actually, we wouldn't be having this discussion if our defense didn't get gashed for so many points. Browner is much better shoving people around the line, messing up the timing of the early routes, Thurmond, not so much. You have to pick your poison with the two. Browner supports our rush much better but if they don't get there, he can't maintain that coverage indefinitely. That is true for a lot of defensive backs, not just Browner.

Schematically, I'll take our kick ass, punch you in the mouth approach and the risks associated. Even with Browner's "deficiencies", Luck had to make perfect throws on a number of occasions to beat us. Perfect throws beat coverage every time. If we fix just one or two things that we did wrong in this game we'll still have a hell of a season.

I look forward to the revenge of the Legion of Boom.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Luck was ridiculously, lights-out good in fitting the ball into tight windows. Do it once, maybe it's a fluke, but he did it consistently. Amazing throw after amazing throw. I was impressed.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Is Antoine Winfield available? He's the guy wanted in the first place to cover guys like Hilton.

Barthawk

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":10reoj9q said:

Thurm is still a young and will learn to keep up with the rest of the defense. He should be thankful this game was during an off day for everyone else too, may have saved himself from the wrath of the coaches.

Honestly though, I only remember seeing him mess up noticeably three times (?) at the most. Could be more or less, would have to go back and watch the game to find out.

Especially when he gets away with the vet push off on a good portion of his receptions..

drdiags

Reaction score
Barthawk":1mt61z7i said:
SouthSoundHawk":1mt61z7i said:

Especially when he gets away with the vet push off on a good portion of his receptions..

Reggie was quoted by a local Indy writer saying "Yes, I pushed off on the 2 pt play. They were holding all game". Nothing wrong with getting gamed by a wily old veteran.

Thurmond is playing alright, he isn't being singled out by the opponents. Not sure if he or Browner are back next year but there is a long season yet to play.

Latest posts