Time for a GM Change?

Hawks46

Reaction score
mrt144":xthyolnq said:
How can you look at everything outside of OL, Percy Harvin and maybe JFG (but I consistently feel DB has trouble integrating outside players), Cary Williams and say that JS hasn't done a great job in his tenure?

This doesn't tell the entire story. With both Harvin and Graham, the 1st rounds of those drafts were really bad. There was an unusually high washout rate in those two drafts and so Schneider went after proven commodities. Harvin was a calculated risk to put on a team that was literally stacked everywhere. Our 1st rounder that year might hot have even stayed on the active roster the entire season. It's also not Schneider's fault that we can't seem to utilize Jimmy Graham correctly.

But that's the advantage that arm chair GM's have over real ones. We can go "oh man what an idiot, we should've drafted Corderrelle Patterson with Harvin's pick" when Harvin doesn't work out, but if Harvin works out, same guy is going "man that Schneider is a genius" and you're smart because you agree with success.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
BullHawk33":2wi4whc4 said:
NFSeahawks628":2wi4whc4 said:
I usually don't call posts out for being ridiculous but this crossed the line.

Come on man.

This ^^^

Anyone calling for any change had better have a solid replacement in their post at least.

Tim Ruskell isn't busy.

:stirthepot:

classicaaron

Reaction score
this team has some issues that need addressing but GM certainly isn't one of them

Foghawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2avlh5g4 said:
BullHawk33":2avlh5g4 said:
NFSeahawks628":2avlh5g4 said:
I usually don't call posts out for being ridiculous but this crossed the line.

Come on man.

This ^^^

Anyone calling for any change had better have a solid replacement in their post at least.

Tim Ruskell isn't busy.

:stirthepot:

:lol:

Seymour

Reaction score
Why stop at Schnieder? Paul Allen is the owner, why not just attempt to get him to force the sale of the team? Look at all the other great owners out there!? Why not us? :snack:

Mojambo

Reaction score
We didn't make the super bowl! No incredibly stupid comment is off the table.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Anytime Brandon Browner is given complete credit for the LOB, perspective is needed.

Boycie

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3v115cup said:
Anytime Brandon Browner is given complete credit for the LOB, perspective is needed.

I'm not just pointing out Browner because Sherm was very physical too. It seems like now our Dbs play off the line deeper than they used.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":wxepwxan said:
How long has Cable been the OL coach & exactly what has been his results?
The OL hasn't ever been even close to half assed good since Cable has been here, It's like he is untouchable because he is so great of a coach, but the results of his efforts are and have been unacceptable. Why give him a pass and blame everyone else? Sure the Super bowl appearances and division titles came under his watch, but IMO that success was in no way because of Cables good coaching but in spite of it.

If I had an employee that wasn't at least "average" in his abilities to do his job I would easily come to the conclusion that I need to replace that employee. CABLE HAS TO GO, because his coaching hasn't even been league average and things will not change until Cable is replaced by a more competent coach that can actually improve the OL's performance. The zone blocking crap that Cable is supposed to be a guru of isn't working out, is too much of a finesse style of play. If the team wants to be the bullies of the NFL again, IMO they need to load up on big, mean, nasty power scheme blockers and pound the heck out of the other team. They need to block the body, not fall on the ground trying to cut block below the knees and then watch the DT's, DE's & LB's fly by and disrupt the play or kill your QB.

Preach brother. The Seattle media doesn't have the balls to say what you did due to the fear of losing their press pass. The team is too soft to take criticism and want to live in their fantasy land.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Ridiculous. We didn't have the cap to FA our OL, so we drafted as well as we could. We were a bit hamstrung, and the development, scheme and talent coaches weren't able to get the guys functional. By game 7 they should have realized a ZBS might not be the right fit for this group. They also failed to take pressure off the line with Pick type plays in the short passing game, as well as other short passing strategies. Look at the teams left in the playoffs-they all are able to adjust passing yardage and location based on the opposing defense. We don't make those adjustments. Every team has areas that are below par. Some have a poor secondary, some it's DL etc. The difference is they gameplan to accentuate the strengths of the team and take to focus and pressure off of the weaknesses.

We don't do that. We are stubborn in the mantra "we play our way". That works great when you have a beast of a running back, some great pass rushers and shutdown corners that jam recievers at the line, causing coverage sacks. The problem is, we lost those things and didn't adjust to make up for them.

You want to see incredible coaching that does maximize potential based on personnel, look at the falcons and the patriots. They are in a constant state of evolution that is based on personnel, get the maximum bang for the buck out of the players available.

OL was a huge issue, but it was addressed in the fraft and FA with the resources we haf available. John did his job, whereas Cable, Richard and Bevell were not good at theirs.

No one is perfect, but the lack of the ability to develop talent and tailor your strategy to best maximize that talent is the biggest issue we have. Graham as a blocker is not the best use of talent, but rather a stubborn reaction based on past strategies.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We need more hits and fewer misses in the draft. I don't think it's time for a change, but Schneider needs to up his game and get better information and scouting and/or be a little luckier.
A lot of our D is built around Earl's capabilities and we saw what happens when we don't have him. What is our backup plan for Earl when he's unavailable? Can we get some OL that will develop into NFL-caliber players?

Schneider isn't to blame for Bevell's lack of game planning and adjustments to exploit opponent weaknesses. In fairness to Bevell, he's carrying out Pete's agenda and maybe it's Pete who needs to change and adjust, to take better advantage of existing talent and favorable matchups and opponent weaknesses. There was a time, with Beastmode, and a healthy and fast Russell, when we had the ability to impose our will , offensively, on other teams and run the ball on nearly any team in the NFL.

I say It's really Carroll who needs to adjust, and change the approach and instructions he's giving to Bevell and Cable. Jimmy Graham would be the poster child where we would see these changes reflected.

Our defense got beaten up this year too by good offenses like Atlanta's, so there is reloading that needs to happen there too.

It would be really stupid to part company with John Schneider at this point. At the same time, there is totally room for him to up his GM game and bring in more players that pan out and contribute, like happened in the 2010-2013 years. Maybe that was lightning in a bottle and we only get it once using the formulas that worked during that timeframe. Pete and John and Bevell ALL need to evolve and adjust. Changing GM's is NOT the solution.

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":18ah4quc said:
We need more hits and fewer misses in the draft. I don't think it's time for a change, but Schneider needs to up his game and get better information and scouting and/or be a little luckier.
A lot of our D is built around Earl's capabilities and we saw what happens when we don't have him. What is our backup plan for Earl when he's unavailable? Can we get some OL that will develop into NFL-caliber players?

Schneider isn't to blame for Bevell's lack of game planning and adjustments to exploit opponent weaknesses. In fairness to Bevell, he's carrying out Pete's agenda and maybe it's Pete who needs to change and adjust, to take better advantage of existing talent and favorable matchups and opponent weaknesses. There was a time, with Beastmode, and a healthy and fast Russell, when we had the ability to impose our will , offensively, on other teams and run the ball on nearly any team in the NFL.

I say It's really Carroll who needs to adjust, and change the approach and instructions he's giving to Bevell and Cable. Jimmy Graham would be the poster child where we would see these changes reflected.

Our defense got beaten up this year too by good offenses like Atlanta's, so there is reloading that needs to happen there too.

It would be really stupid to part company with John Schneider at this point. At the same time, there is totally room for him to up his GM game and bring in more players that pan out and contribute, like happened in the 2010-2013 years. Maybe that was lightning in a bottle and we only get it once using the formulas that worked during that timeframe. Pete and John and Bevell ALL need to evolve and adjust. Changing GM's is NOT the solution.

I think it's more about Cap and the fact they have an attachment to players that helped them build what they have. This is another test for the organization.

Atradees

Reaction score
The drafts haven't been very good.

Some of the decision making suspect.

Russell Wilson makes up for many things.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
One thing is clear: Scott McCloughan played a huge role in draft picks. He helped make JS great. He is sorely missed, to the point that I think it's fair to question whether he was making a bigger contribution than JS. I would also like to see a complete revamp of how they evaluate OL players.

Danny Darko

Reaction score
With all the whining going on about Pete and Schneider it's like a group of people were defrosted by aliens the year we won the Superbowl and don't recall what life was like even under Holmgren.... but mainly how it was for most of 30 years

Relax people winning coach/gm combos are not common, our current trend is just part of how tough it is to win and needing to make some pivots on strategy while maintaining the things that always make Schneid and Pete

This combo has won .629 of games and is 8-4 in the playoffs... for comparison our next best coach was Knox at .559 (3-4 playoffs) and Holmgren was .538 (4-6 playoffs).

in the 40 years of Seahawks football, we've never had better people steering the ship. Do they need to make adjustments to some philosophies and personnel? Hell yeah they do, but there isn't a pair of guys out there who match these guys ability to collaborate and build on the open market and that relationship is very much symbiotic.

Changes needed:
Offensive line philosophy and personnel.
Offensive identity needs to go back to the way it was under lynch regardless of not having lynch. Wilson needs to become a shortstop again and not a little tank (more play action, less holding the ball forever).

Reality of 2016: Injuries... it's football. You know the names and the impact- I don't need to list the talent, but short of "these guys are old and breaking down" you cannot blame the injuries like Bennetts on J&P.

Keep it pumped and Jacked up Twelves

and keep Harbaugh off your salmon breath :throwup: :49ersmall: :les:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
To the original post. NO!!
My god, how spoiled is this new fan base? We are still a damned great team. We will be fine. Jeebus.

Largent80

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":a7o7fnwe said:
To the original post. NO!!
My god, how spoiled is this new fan base? We are still a damned great team. We will be fine. Jeebus.

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone , they take paradise, and put up a parking lot".

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Wow. Are we a spoiled fanbase or what.

5th double digit win season in a row and I'm seeing the term "mediocrity" thrown around.

Some of you have absolutely no idea how hard it is to win in this league and stay near the top. Salary Caps, Lower draft status, FA defections, Paying a franchise QB. All stuff to make it even harder on winning teams.

Certainly NE is impervious to this due to their dark magic juju. But outside of one franchise, nobody stays on top year after year in this league.

So enjoy playoff seasons when they come, appreciate the leadership that is producing this kind of success and quit criticizing our most successful FO in franchise history. Are they perfect? No. But that doesn't mean you start ranting about blowing everything up. As history has shown, that's often a recipe for disaster.

Latest posts